Main Menu

ES Badges

Started by Sgt. Savage, August 03, 2007, 07:07:21 PM

IceNine

The ES Badges above represent the administrative side of ES,  we are looking for an operational representation.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Hawk200

Quote from: mfd1506 on August 06, 2007, 07:09:51 PM
The ES Badges above represent the administrative side of ES,  we are looking for an operational representation.

Not administrative, the Professional Development side. It shows a member qualified in the Senior Member 213 specialty track. NERMA002 Safety is correct.

A
Quote from: Hawk200 on August 06, 2007, 07:15:21 PM

Not administrative, the Professional Development side. It shows a member qualified in the Senior Member 213 specialty track. NERMA002 Safety is correct.

It is possible for a cadet to get the basic badge for the ES track just as it is possible for them to get it for Comm as well.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

jimmydeanno

The problem with all the different "specialty badges" is that unlike the Air Force, CAP members have 30 different specialties that they can serve actively in simultaneously...

In the AF, a pilot doesn't also do admin or finance, they pilot.  The admin pogue doesn't cruise on over to the dining facilities to help services or guard the gate.  Even when they cross train, they stop doing what they did before.  It may be one office over, but they don't do that job again...

We don't do "cross training" and then that person only does that position, we do "cross training" and the person holds that position plus their new one... at that rate I would be eligible to wear 5 ES type specialty badges and 5 PD badges... of course I would have to limit it to 3 and select based on actual locations...yada yada...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Hawk200

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on August 06, 2007, 07:17:28 PM
A

It is possible for a cadet to get the basic badge for the ES track just as it is possible for them to get it for Comm as well.

Correct. A cadet may meet the requirements for the Basic ES badges, but cannot receive a Technician rating in the ES specialty track until they become a senior.

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 06, 2007, 07:51:41 PM
Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on August 06, 2007, 07:17:28 PM
A

Correct. A cadet may meet the requirements for the Basic ES badges, but cannot receive a Technician rating in the ES specialty track until they become a senior.

This is true and they will then be authorized to wear said badge.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Hawk200

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on August 06, 2007, 07:53:30 PM

According to CAPR 35-6, dated 17 August 2002:

"Note: Cadets can earn the Basic Emergency Services Qualification Badge as they can complete all of the requirements for this rating, though they cannot officially receive the Technician Rating until they become a senior member. "

The reg says they may earn the badge, but may not receive a Technician rating until Senior status. I don't think a reg would say they could earn a badge, but not permit them to wear it. That just wouldn't make sense. And would probably be viewed as discriminatory. If they earn it, they can wear it.

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 06, 2007, 09:13:52 PM
Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on August 06, 2007, 07:53:30 PM

According to CAPR 35-6, dated 17 August 2002:

"Note: Cadets can earn the Basic Emergency Services Qualification Badge as they can complete all of the requirements for this rating, though they cannot officially receive the Technician Rating until they become a senior member. "

The reg says they may earn the badge, but may not receive a Technician rating until Senior status. I don't think a reg would say they could earn a badge, but not permit them to wear it. That just wouldn't make sense. And would probably be viewed as discriminatory. If they earn it, they can wear it.

They can wear it provided that the paperwork is in said cadets file.
However, they cannot hold the ES Officer position or recieve credit as tech till they switch to the darkside.
I have however seen a comm setup at a SAREX that was 100% cadet.
I seem to recall the older cadets therein having the comm badge.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Sgt. Savage

jimmydeanno

^How about something like this?

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Sgt. Savage

I like it! Looks better than mine, which I would expect. I can manipulate word docs but, frankly, picture manipulation isn't my strong suit.

What badges do we need?

I'm thinking that the basic badge design should mimic the GT badges.

How would they be set up?

I like symbols but a simple "MRO" to copy the GT format might work as well.

jimmydeanno

The reason I chose the prop and triangle is because of the historical symbolism is presents.  Since CAP was founded for air operations and the CAP emblem is the tri-blade prop in the CD triangle, I thought it appropriate.  The prop also signifies flight.

The CAP wings have the tri-blade prop in the center, and this being an ES specialty badge...

The GT badge is ok, but I think it dates back to the days of the cartoon style ribbons and such.  I think in sticking with traditional military protocol, symbols would be best used.

Sgt. Savage

Ok, here is my proposed usage:

Basic Badge

IO - Information Officer
LO - Liaison Officer
MC - Mission Chaplain
MRO - Mission Radio Operator
MSA - Mission Staff Assistant
MSO - Mission Safety Officer
UDF - Urban Direction Finding Team
GTM1 - Ground Team Member Level 1
GTM2 - Ground Team Member Level 2
GTM3 - Ground Team Member Level 3
IC3 - Incident Commander Level 3
AL3 - Agency Liaison Level 3
CISM - CISM Personnel
MS - Mission Scanner
FLM - Flight Line Marshaller

Senior Badge

GTL - Ground Team Leader
AL2 - Agency Liaison Level 2
IC2 - Incident Commander Level 2
FLS - Flight Line Supervisor
CUL - Communications Unit Leader
LSC - Logistics Section Chief
FASC - Finance/Admin Section Chief 
OSC - Operations Section Chief
PSC - Planning Section Chief

Master Badge

IC1 - Incident Commander Level 1
AL1 - Agency Liaison Level 1
AOBD - Air Operations Branch Director
GBD - Ground Branch Director

Left as is
MP - SAR/DR Mission Pilot
TMP - Transport Mission Pilot
MO - Mission Observer

Any thoughts?

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on August 07, 2007, 03:01:41 PM

Basic Badge

IO - Information Officer
LO - Liaison Officer
MC - Mission Chaplain

CISM - CISM Personnel
MS - Mission Scanner

Senior Badge

GTL - Ground Team Leader

Master Badge

Left as is
MO - Mission Observer

Any thoughts?

The ground positions already have established badges

No star is Ground Team Member
Star is Ground Team Leader
Star with "toilet seat" is Ground Branch Director

speaking as a ground team member I wouldn't want to change to a new badge just so other people can have one that's the same when the skills for what they do and I do is differnt. 

if we want to make a badge for those that don't make it one for mission base staff which would include flight line marshallers and the like.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Sgt. Savage

Sorry for the confussion. Each specialty would have its own indivdual badge, I guess. I wouldn't change the existing GT badges. I only included them as they already have basic, senior, and master ratings.

Pylon

There already exist badges for Ground-qualified individuals and for Aircrew-qualified individuals.  In addition, the Incident Commander's badge is already approved and underway.  That leaves mission support staff without a badge.

So a simple solution would be to create a three-tiered badge for mission support staff.  The exclusions from that group would be mission chaplains, as they already sport the much more important and recognizable chaplain's badge.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jimmydeanno

So putting the letters on, (using your example of MRO from earlier (slightly modified)), would give us something like this...?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Pylon on August 07, 2007, 03:16:15 PM
There already exist badges for Ground-qualified individuals and for Aircrew-qualified individuals.  In addition, the Incident Commander's badge is already approved and underway.  That leaves mission support staff without a badge.

So a simple solution would be to create a three-tiered badge for mission support staff.  The exclusions from that group would be mission chaplains, as they already sport the much more important and recognizable chaplain's badge.

There is a big difference, IMO, between an MSA rated person and an AOBD in terms of qualification.  So using the same device with a star or such on it wouldn't be right.  The assumption would be that the MSA person with the basic badge would be a junior AOBD.  Similar to the Specialty Track Badges, a Basic CP badge wearer is a junior rated CP person compared to the CP badge with a wreath.

IMO, they are very different "specialties" and qualifications and wouldn't 'rate' having the same badge...

I bet TEDDA is rolling over laughing at our graphic abilities :)

arajca

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on August 07, 2007, 03:01:41 PM

Basic Badge

IO - Information Officer
LO - Liaison Officer
MC - Mission Chaplain
CISM - CISM Personnel
MS - Mission Scanner

Senior Badge

GTL - Ground Team Leader

Master Badge

Left as is
MO - Mission Observer

Any thoughts?

Since AOBD/GDB ia a requirement for OSC/PSC why do they have a higher level badge? If I go from AOBD to IC3, do I lose the star/wreath?

If you'll pull up my proposal, you'll see that I made the progression points line up the ICS structure. FLM, MRO, MSA, etc get the basic badge, everything between the them and the section chiefs (plus LO/IO/SO) get the senior badge, and section chiefs get the senior badge. I had the IC in the mix as a fourth level, but with the new IC badge, that is not needed. The progression points cover the major responsibility changes. The unit leaders, branch directors, etc have more responisibiilty tham the basic levels. The Section Chiefs have more responsibiity than the unit leaders. The IC has the most responsibility of all.

SarDragon

QuoteLeft as is
MO - Mission Observer

I understand MO, but what specific badge does a TMP or MP wear above and beyond pilot wings?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret