New Vanguard Website?

Started by Major Carrales, July 27, 2007, 07:22:48 AM

SoCalCAPOfficer

I also noticed there is no senior grade epaulets in blue.   What about the TPU?
Are they telling us something?
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

Major Carrales

Quote from: SoCalCAPOfficer on July 30, 2007, 10:35:33 PM

Yes, they are saying "order them from the 'AIR FORCE' part of the WEBSITE."  Don't worry, our money will soon be parted from our wallets.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JC004

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 30, 2007, 11:38:18 PM
Quote from: SoCalCAPOfficer on July 30, 2007, 10:35:33 PM

Yes, they are saying "order them from the 'AIR FORCE' part of the WEBSITE."  Don't worry, our money will soon be parted from our wallets.

It says here "AIR FORCE EPAULET LARGE 1ST LIEUTENANT NEW" for 8.80.  Now, knowing Vanguard, is that one epaulet since it doesn't have an "s"?  I somehow wouldn't be shocked if they were 17.60/pr...  >:D  Good price over AAFES...I see they are 2.55/pr.   :-\

Grumpy

I just ordered over $40.00 in merchandise from The Hock Shop that consisted of service ribbons, attachments, rank insignia, etc., etc.  I did so because I could see pictures of them and their ribbons, for example, were 30 cents each less expensive than Vanguard.

I sent Vanguard an email telling them that the other company got me business because they were less expensive and had a better presentation on their web site.  Their loss, the Hock Shops gain.

Ford73Diesel

Some things from the hock are more expensive. I put together the suggested new cadeyt uniform package for my squadron this is what I came up with:

Item Price each Vanguard Hock

2 Nameplates:  $2.90 $2.75
2 Nametapes $3.20 $3.95
2 CAP Tapes $1.40     $0.70
2 Wing Patches $1.75 $1.65
2 Flag Patches $1.25 $1.40
4 CAP Cutouts $3.35  $3.25
1 CAP Enlisted hat device $5.25 $5.25
1 BDU belt and buckle $5.35   $3.35

Total:   $42.00 from vanguard  $45.50 From the Hock

I hope I added right.....
Not including shipping, so depending on the size of your order, it might be cheaper to get it from vanguard.

Hawk200

Quote from: Grumpy on July 31, 2007, 01:27:03 AM
I sent Vanguard an email telling them that the other company got me business because they were less expensive and had a better presentation on their web site.  Their loss, the Hock Shops gain.

Which means National will send the Hock a C&D letter. Vanguard doesn't like competition.

Grumpy

I didn't mention the names.

Grumpy

Quote from: markh on July 31, 2007, 03:18:33 AM
Some things from the hock are more expensive. I put together the suggested new cadeyt uniform package for my squadron this is what I came up with:

Item Price each Vanguard Hock

2 Nameplates:  $2.90 $2.75
2 Nametapes $3.20 $3.95
2 CAP Tapes $1.40     $0.70
2 Wing Patches $1.75 $1.65
2 Flag Patches $1.25 $1.40
4 CAP Cutouts $3.35  $3.25
1 CAP Enlisted hat device $5.25 $5.25
1 BDU belt and buckle $5.35   $3.35

Total:   $42.00 from vanguard  $45.50 From the Hock

I hope I added right.....
Not including shipping, so depending on the size of your order, it might be cheaper to get it from vanguard.

I think the totals are 24.45 and 22.30 respectively.

Hawk200

Quote from: Grumpy on July 31, 2007, 04:05:04 AM
I didn't mention the names.

Wouldn't really matter, Vanguard already knows who their competition is. Don't know why the Hock is still selling, but it's nice to know there is competition.

Ford73Diesel

Grumpy, I doubled a few of them, for example, there are 4 CAP cutouts, 2 nametags, 1 hat device...... Sorry for the confusion.

Sarge

I still think that the following should be done...keep VANGUARD as the official supplier and allow any others interested to offer CAP stuff with a small "per item" licensing fee. CAPHQ should be glad that any private provisioner would want to offer CAP stuff...such as when a certain nametag manufacturer used to make high quality flight suit nameplates. Of course, NHQ legal threatened them and now they won't offer CAP stuff anymore. As is the case with my other "day to day" shopping decisions, there is CAP stuff I buy at Vanguard (unfortunately) and others I get from Mr. Tom at the Hock. I say bring on the others. Make an effort to minimize the cost of the cadet stuff and basic adult uniform items (nametags, etc), too. My Sq has a few "economically disadvantaged" cadets and SMs (I mean "officers") in our ranks and the greatly inflated prices seem to hold back their ability to get into a CAP uniform quickly. Your thoughts???

Hawk200

Quote from: Sarge on July 31, 2007, 05:16:31 AM
I still think that the following should be done...keep VANGUARD as the official supplier and allow any others interested to offer CAP stuff with a small "per item" licensing fee. CAPHQ should be glad that any private provisioner would want to offer CAP stuff...such as when a certain nametag manufacturer used to make high quality flight suit nameplates. Of course, NHQ legal threatened them and now they won't offer CAP stuff anymore. As is the case with my other "day to day" shopping decisions, there is CAP stuff I buy at Vanguard (unfortunately) and others I get from Mr. Tom at the Hock. I say bring on the others. Make an effort to minimize the cost of the cadet stuff and basic adult uniform items (nametags, etc), too. My Sq has a few "economically disadvantaged" cadets and SMs (I mean "officers") in our ranks and the greatly inflated prices seem to hold back their ability to get into a CAP uniform quickly. Your thoughts???

I agree with everything but the licensing fee. I guarantee that Vanguard isn't, and wouldn't pay one. Look on the web, and I can guarantee that if you look for insignia for any of the military branches, you'll find several dozen that offer tapes and insignia. Many offer pretty reasonable prices.

I think Vanguard is purposely gouging CAP members. Why? I don't know. Maybe they're under the impression that any volunteer has plenty of money. Or maybe its their way of funding those Regional training centers they promised to build CAP. But their actions are certainly not the most ethical. And it's a known fact that true competition works out best for the consumer.

jimmydeanno

Well, the order from "he who shall remain nameless" I placed last thursday came in on Monday.  Great Job if you're reading this.  The order was complete, accurate, and timely.

I am now having my first issue with Vanguard of the numerous orders I've placed (about 35).

Here's how it goes:

I ordered an 18.5 X 32/33 Long Sleeve Aviator Shirt for one of my members.  This was June 1st.

(by the way, it is always a good idea to have them ship the items they do have separately or else they'll hold everything up for a backordered item.)

3 weeks went by and I had recieved everything else in the order exept the shirt.  So I called.

"Good morning Vanguard, how may I direct your call?"
"Civil Air Patrol, Please."
15 rings later.
"Hi this is XXXX how may I help you."
"I'm calling about my backordered shirt."
Takes information and order number.
"I see you ordered a half-size shirt.  We don't carry those."
"How did I order it then?"
"I'm not sure, but we definitely do not carry 1/2 sizes in those shirts."
"Ok, what do I do."
"Would you like a different size? It looks like we have a 19 X 32/33 in stock and I can ship that out today."
"That would be great, thank you."
"Great I'll let my manager know you changed your order and we'll ship it."
"Great, thank you for your help."
Two weeks go by (I figured they shipped 10th class or something)
"Hi I want to check the status of my shirt."
"Hi Sir, we didn't ship that item because we didn't have it in stock."
"So why didn't you send it when you did or let me know?"
"It was only going to be about 2 weeks before they came back in stock and we thought that would be acceptable."
"So are you shipping my shirt?"
"Well, it looks like you ordered a half-size shirt.  Would you like that instead?"
"I thought you didn't carry half-size shirts."
"Of course we do, they're on our website aren't they?"
"Yes, but my last conversation..."
"Oh, well we should be getting them in aproximately 2 weeks, would you like to wait?"
"No."
"But that's what you ordered."
"Yeah, but that was a month ago."
"Do you have an 18X32/33 in stock?"
"Yes."
"Great, can you ship that please?  My member would just like to wear his uniform."
"I can understand his frustration."
"I don't think you can."
"Ok, well I'll ship the 18 for you today."
"Promise?"
"Promise."
a week goes by and I get a message.
"Hi sir, this is XXXX from Vanguard calling about your shirt. Please give us a call back in regards to your order."
"Hi, what's going on with my shirt."
"Well, I have a 19X32/33 sitting on my desk and was wondering if you'd like this shirt instead of your backordered 18.5X32/33.  I just want to get this order closed."
"You have no idea."
"Excuse me?"
"Nothing."
Brief pause
"Hi this is the CAP supervisor, what seems to be the problem?"
whole story told.
"Oh, I see, well if you'd like to wait for your half size it shirt, we should have one in stock shortly."
"I just want my shirt, send me the 18 or 19 I don't care as long as it is one of those it will fit."
"Well which one would you like?"
"Whatever one you have your hands on right now so you don't forget to put it in the mail once I hang up."
"Sir, we just wanted to confirm what size you wanted."
"I told them 3 times already - what's so confusing?"
"Sir, I will send this shirt out today, you have my word."

It's been two weeks and 3 more phone calls later and I still don't have my shirt.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Capt M. Sherrod

Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

JC004

Lancer

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 01, 2007, 02:10:52 PM
It's been two weeks and 3 more phone calls later and I still don't have my shirt.

That almost played out like 'Who's on First?'

I'm still trying to decide at which point I would have lit my hair on fire and ran screaming from the house/building/hanger etc. due to the sheer absurdity of the situation.  ;D

jimmydeanno

You know, honestly, of all the orders I've placed with them, this is the only issue.  Everything else has always been ontime and correct (just a little pricier).  I miss being able to just drive down the street to Vanguard.  It was so much simpler.

I think I am starting to go bald because of this. 

"Would you like a red lollipop?"
"Yes please."
"Here you go."
"That's yellow."
"Isn't that what you asked for?"
"No you offered red."
"Well we thought you'd like yellow better since we didn't have red."
"So what about the red one?"
"We never had one of those. If you don't like the yellow, you can have a green..."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DHollywood

Most FBO's have a small pilot shop that carried the VH Aviator shirts, in stock, cheaper than Vanguard.

Local uniform supply shops will have the white uniform shirt exactly like the AF blue shirt (pleated pocket folds.. etc).

account deleted by member

Hawk200

Quote from: DHollywood on August 01, 2007, 05:08:01 PM
Most FBO's have a small pilot shop that carried the VH Aviator shirts, in stock, cheaper than Vanguard.

Local uniform supply shops will have the white uniform shirt exactly like the AF blue shirt (pleated pocket folds.. etc).

Those look better anyway...

Lancer

Quote from: DHollywood on August 01, 2007, 05:08:01 PM

Don't forget the Internet, after looking high and low, the best place I had found for selection, size and price was MyPilotStore.com, check them out. The URL below will take you to just the shirts, but they have all kinds of other pilot related goodies.

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/secd/40