Red and Yellow command scarf???

Started by Nomex Maximus, July 13, 2007, 05:28:27 PM

Major Carrales

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 18, 2007, 05:53:21 PM
Ok, so here is a link to a power point presentation that has a drawing of it.  The drawing is very accurate in terms of color, size, and pattern of the scarf.  It's on slide 25.

http://www.coloradowingcap.org/group3/CC%20Call%20April%2005.ppt

Come on...finding a drawing of it is a kin to finding lewd engravings of Martha Washington and Thomas Jefferson.  :D

Sorry, for the mental image.  However, I have yet to see even a photo of CAP Officer Avaitors wearing this thing.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

capchiro

It would appear that it is only authorized with the Air Force Green flight Suit and not anything blue..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Nomex Maximus

Wow! that IS an ugly scarf!

And get a load of Captain Bolt Upright on page 22 !

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

MidwaySix

I'm here at NESA - Mission Air Crew School, Camp Atterbury, IN.

The scarf came up in conversation on day 2 here at the school, where we finally came up with a good use for it.

Command Scarf + (empty) Gatorade bottle = (field expedient) message drop container.

YMMV.

- M6

JC004

OK, I am posting this craziness for all to see.

Please note that this is a drawing and does not prove the existence of this scarf.

LtCol White

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

ColonelJack

Quote from: JC004 on July 18, 2007, 06:22:49 PM
OK, I am posting this craziness for all to see.

Please note that this is a drawing and does not prove the existence of this scarf.

'Nuff said.  (Apologies if I've offended.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Hawk200

Quote from: MidwaySix on July 18, 2007, 06:22:48 PM

The scarf came up in conversation on day 2 here at the school, where we finally came up with a good use for it.

Command Scarf + (empty) Gatorade bottle = (field expedient) message drop container.

YMMV.

- M6

That's a pretty good idea. High visibility, allowing the ground crew to see it on the way down.

Still, I still wouldn't buy one.

Hawk200

Quote from: LtCol White on July 18, 2007, 06:41:24 PM

You're a tougher man than I. I hurled completely... >:D

RogueLeader

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 18, 2007, 08:04:52 PM
Quote from: LtCol White on July 18, 2007, 06:41:24 PM

You're a tougher man than I. I hurled completely... >:D
Ha,
Just turned slightly green.  Would never buy. Except for maybe a "Gag" gift. ;) 8)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

baronet68

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 18, 2007, 05:29:11 PMI've never seen anyone wear it.  Anyone ever seen it?

Yes, I've seen someone wearing one of these and it left me pretty unimpressed.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Major Carrales

Quote from: baronet68 on July 18, 2007, 08:27:41 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on July 18, 2007, 05:29:11 PMI've never seen anyone wear it.  Anyone ever seen it?

What was the occasion?  Was it ceremonial or operational?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

baronet68

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 18, 2007, 08:57:14 PM
Quote from: baronet68 on July 18, 2007, 08:27:41 PM
What was the occasion?  Was it ceremonial or operational?

It was one of the 'staffers' at WingHQ who was wearing it during a run-of-the-mill weekly meeting.  He probably thought it made him look "kewl".  ::)
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 18, 2007, 08:04:02 PM
Quote from: MidwaySix on July 18, 2007, 06:22:48 PM

YMMV.

- M6

That's a pretty good idea. High visibility, allowing the ground crew to see it on the way down.

Still, I still wouldn't buy one.

Not for $30 to drop from a plane!  Maybe if I'm assigned to the Howard Hughes Memorial Squadron, and the PIC is Bill gates!
Another former CAP officer

Major Carrales

Is there any CAP tradition or historical foundation (aside from the Tri-Props) to justify having such a thing? 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

LtCol White

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Eagle400

What I don't understand is why the CAP command scarf is worn only with the AF flight suit, and not the CAP flight suit.  I would think the Air Force would want it worn only on the blue CAP flight suit, since command scarves are a unique Air Force tradition for pilots and (supposedly) they don't want CAP to mirror those traditions on AF uniforms.

I say if the CAP command scarf can be worn on the AF flight suit, then so should the A-2 leather flying jacket and cloth grade insignia.  Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense.     

Hawk200

Quote from: 12211985 on July 18, 2007, 10:19:15 PM
I say if the CAP command scarf can be worn on the AF flight suit, then so should the A-2 leather flying jacket and cloth grade insignia.  Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense.     

The brown A-2 has been specifically forbidden by the Air Force. It's primarily issued to their aircrews. They want to keep that distinctive item for themselves.

I had a few ideas for adopting it, but never packaged it. It's probably pointless to even try. And that comes from the the Air Force top brass. Good luck trying to get them to explain.

Cloth grade insignia is being worked on. Probably happen within the next year or two.

Eagle400

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 19, 2007, 03:31:51 AMThe brown A-2 has been specifically forbidden by the Air Force. It's primarily issued to their aircrews. They want to keep that distinctive item for themselves.

So it's okay for CAP to wear a command scarf (also an Air Force aircrew distinctive item), but not the brown A-2?  Sorry, doesn't make sense to me. 

I am glad that the black A-2 has been authorized for the blue CAP flight suit, but to not authorize the CAP command scarf for this uniform is also non-sensical.  The Air Force has been making some pretty weird decisions lately when it comes to CAP uniforms.     

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 19, 2007, 03:31:51 AMI had a few ideas for adopting it, but never packaged it. It's probably pointless to even try. And that comes from the the Air Force top brass. Good luck trying to get them to explain.

That's okay, I'll just join the Coast Guard Auxiliary.  The Coast Guard doesn't seem to have a problem with its auxiliarists wearing blue epaulets or silver on the Mess Dress.  Oh yeah, the Coast Guard also treats them like they're actually part of the team.  None of this red-headed stepchild nonsense.     

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 19, 2007, 03:31:51 AMCloth grade insignia is being worked on. Probably happen within the next year or two.

I hope so.  The plastic grade insignia is really tacky. 

Hawk200

Quote from: 12211985 on July 19, 2007, 03:47:17 AMSo it's okay for CAP to wear a command scarf (also an Air Force aircrew distinctive item), but not the brown A-2?  Sorry, doesn't make sense to me. 

Not even nearly the same thing. One is a $30 item, the other $200. And I noticed very few in the Air Force that actually wore command scarves. It seems to have been a safety issue. I wouldn't wear one for that reason.

QuoteI am glad that the black A-2 has been authorized for the blue CAP flight suit, but to not authorize the CAP command scarf for this uniform is also non-sensical.  The Air Force has been making some pretty weird decisions lately when it comes to CAP uniforms.

It may be, but someone simply hasn't gotten around to telling anyone yet. Why would you want one? It may be inconsistant, but very few people even care about it. I would make it clear to anyone in my unit wearing how dorky it is by pointing and laughing until I had tears rolling down my face. It was a pointless bling item that was never needed and really serves no puprose. No one even knows who proposed it in the first place.

Since CAP can do what they want as far as corporate uniforms, why do you blame the Air Force? They wouldn't need to be consulted, and probably would have blown it off if they had been. Their input isn't even needed. No corporate uniform has even had input from the Air Force. Do you think the TPU would even exist if they did?

QuoteThat's okay, I'll just join the Coast Guard Auxiliary.  The Coast Guard doesn't seem to have a problem with its auxiliarists wearing blue epaulets or silver on the Mess Dress.  Oh yeah, the Coast Guard also treats them like they're actually part of the team.  None of this red-headed stepchild nonsense. 

CG Aux doesn't even have a mess dress. There are numerous formal dress uniforms, and the uniforms are primarily Navy. There are more variations on formal wear for them.

If you're going to go into the CG Aux, keep in mind that you only get rank with certain positions. When your term expires, you don't wear rank insignia anymore. You'd get a past officer device, but that's it. You sure you're OK with that? You might never get appointed to any of those positions at all.

QuoteI hope so.  The plastic grade insignia is really tacky. 

Nothing really tacky about it, the Air Force wore it for many years before deciding to wear cloth. Cloth was cheaper, and easier to affix. They only phased out plastic rank during the time I was in, it was worn since the '60's, I believe. I'm sure there's an old timer or two that could give you more accurate details.