Main Menu

CAP CAC Card Poll

Started by ARandomCadet, June 23, 2013, 04:27:42 AM

Should the USAF approve CAP to have CAC cards?

Yes, it is for the better interest of everyone, due to current identification errors.
9 (24.3%)
No, it is not necessary at this point in time
20 (54.1%)
I really couldn't care whether we had them or not
9 (24.3%)
No, we should have DBIDS
5 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 37

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Slim on June 24, 2013, 06:19:54 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on June 23, 2013, 09:08:12 PM

Actually they did away with the stickers because the DOD got a really really bad bunch of them 6-7 years ago....and then some bright boy in Robbins AFB said "why do we issue these stupid things anyway....we are doing 100% checks".

The Scanable ID thing only came about a couple of years ago.

Currently the USAF is going to DBIDs (or something like that) for all it's base contractors who don't rate CAC cards.  CAP is currently working with CAP-USAF to work a solution.

And yes I would assume that that solution would meet Directive 12 standards.

Regarding DBIDS, I was speaking with a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago about this.  He's a MSgt in security forces at the local ANG base, and this topic came up.  They haven't fully implemented it there yet, but most of the pieces are pretty much in place.  CAP members with a steady need for base access (wing HQ and the squadron on base) will be able to get DBIDS cards.

What he tells me they've already done for the civilian agencies on base (there is a CBP air wing on base, plus a Border Patrol sector headquarters) is that they've incorporated the DBIDS required info into the bar codes already in place on their agency ID card.  The gate guard scans the bar code, as long as the ID is valid/current, off they go.  He also mentioned that it wouldn't be too hard for NHQ to incorporate the needed DBIDS info into the bar codes they print on our ID cards.  That is, if someone was able to do the legwork to coordinate it.  Shouldn't be too hard on CAP's end as someone-either at NHQ, or probably at the vendor-already has to program our CAPID number into the bar code.
DBIDS sounds like a better idea to me than having CACs. I had never heard of DBIDS, as the only thing I heard about IDs here where I live was when they implemented the CACs and then I got to see them and know what they were through a BSA activity that a wing here sponsors every year. But now I think DBIDS would be a better idea. Also where do you make those little figurines that a lot of people have? If it is a website could you PM me the link.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: ILikePlanes on June 24, 2013, 06:25:18 AM
Quote from: Slim on June 24, 2013, 06:19:54 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on June 23, 2013, 09:08:12 PM

Actually they did away with the stickers because the DOD got a really really bad bunch of them 6-7 years ago....and then some bright boy in Robbins AFB said "why do we issue these stupid things anyway....we are doing 100% checks".

The Scanable ID thing only came about a couple of years ago.

Currently the USAF is going to DBIDs (or something like that) for all it's base contractors who don't rate CAC cards.  CAP is currently working with CAP-USAF to work a solution.

And yes I would assume that that solution would meet Directive 12 standards.

Regarding DBIDS, I was speaking with a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago about this.  He's a MSgt in security forces at the local ANG base, and this topic came up.  They haven't fully implemented it there yet, but most of the pieces are pretty much in place.  CAP members with a steady need for base access (wing HQ and the squadron on base) will be able to get DBIDS cards.

What he tells me they've already done for the civilian agencies on base (there is a CBP air wing on base, plus a Border Patrol sector headquarters) is that they've incorporated the DBIDS required info into the bar codes already in place on their agency ID card.  The gate guard scans the bar code, as long as the ID is valid/current, off they go.  He also mentioned that it wouldn't be too hard for NHQ to incorporate the needed DBIDS info into the bar codes they print on our ID cards.  That is, if someone was able to do the legwork to coordinate it.  Shouldn't be too hard on CAP's end as someone-either at NHQ, or probably at the vendor-already has to program our CAPID number into the bar code.
DBIDS sounds like a better idea to me than having CACs. I had never heard of DBIDS, as the only thing I heard about IDs here where I live was when they implemented the CACs and then I got to see them and know what they were through a BSA activity that a wing here sponsors every year. But now I think DBIDS would be a better idea.
And this was based on what I heard in a comment, and that sounded like that person what suggesting DBIDS.

SarDragon

Quote from: ILikePlanes on June 24, 2013, 06:25:18 AMAlso where do you make those little figurines that a lot of people have? If it is a website could you PM me the link.

They are no longer available. They were custom made by a forum member who is no longer with us.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

unmlobo

When I was stationed at Kirtland AFB, all the CAP members w/o military IDs had to have DBIDS cards.  They were used in lieu of CAPID cards for almost everything, except at the BX and MCSS.  It was a hassle at first but turned out to be better in the long run.  I think DBIDS cards would be a good thing for those in CAP w/o mil IDs and a need for base internet access, just my two cents.
Major, CAP
HI WG

jimmydeanno

The overwhelming majority of our members spend the overwhelming majority of their time at local unit functions and internal CAP functions where even having a membership card is virtually unnecessary.  The vast majority of our members don't meet or go to military bases often, and outside agencies typically don't care about our card that says we paid our membership dues. 

I'be been in CAP for 17 years now and have only had to show my CAP ID card two or three times, and those were before eservices was around. 

Even units that meet on bases and have DoD provided computer equipment can usually get connected to the base Qualnet which doesn't require credentials or a CAC for access.

Providing a CAC for our members would be extremely expensive, time consuming, and provide no real benefit to 99% of our member who have never had to show their membership card in the first place.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

a2capt

Where it is quite the opposite here, if a unit is not on an airport, and that's a whole different set of ID issues, it's at a military base and we use ID cards quite often. Just 1 or 2 times it seems that you -don't- use the card.

Luis R. Ramos

Saying CAC card is redundant?

People say the Sahara Desert even when told that "Sahara means desert," so you should say The Sahara instead.

I guess CAC card is here to stay...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

a2capt

"Common Access Control" 'card', I've heard some justify the redundancy by calling it that, too.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: flyer333555 on June 24, 2013, 05:08:14 PM
People say the Sahara Desert even when told that "Sahara means desert," so you should say The Sahara instead.

Who knew? That wasn't in the list of the word that I learned in Arabic.

You learn something new everyday. (I actually learned two things with this--the other being the definition of "pleonasm.")
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

SarDragon

OK, one more from the Department of Redundancy Department - The La Brea Tar Pits = the the tar tar pits.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Quote from: SarDragon on June 25, 2013, 12:38:29 AMThe La Brea Tar Pits = the the tar tar pits.
Where nobody's dream comes true ..

Critical AOA

Here are some Wiki articles on redundant phrases.

The first one is about acronyms and phrases such as "ATM machine" &"PIN number". CAC card falls into this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAS_syndrome

The second one references other redundant phrases called pleonasms.  "The La Brea tar pits" is referenced and it is actually accepted useage as La Brea is a proper name in this usage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleonasm

I learned something today! 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Private Investigator

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on June 24, 2013, 06:49:37 PM
Quote from: flyer333555 on June 24, 2013, 05:08:14 PM

Who knew? That wasn't in the list of the word that I learned in Arabic.

You learn something new everyday. (I actually learned two things with this--the other being the definition of "pleonasm.")

In Swahili, Latifah means Queen so Queen Latifah is Queen Queen. You guys want to know what Isuzu means in Swahili?   8)

ARandomCadet

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on June 25, 2013, 01:10:15 AM

Here are some Wiki articles on redundant phrases.

The first one is about acronyms and phrases such as "ATM machine" &"PIN number". CAC card falls into this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAS_syndrome

The second one references other redundant phrases called pleonasms.  "The La Brea tar pits" is referenced and it is actually accepted useage as La Brea is a proper name in this usage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleonasm

I learned something today!
I hear bankers use the words PIN number. I heard it when I got my debit card. And yes you heard the second sentence right, I am 12 and have a debit card.

Майор Хаткевич

Cool. I was 12 and worked on holidays for 5/hour. Made like 300+ over winter break!  Still didn't need a debit card. Where are you going to use it if you can't get anywhere?

SarDragon

When I was 12, I got my first DD Form 1173. That had a much higher kool factor than a debit card would have had. Still got one!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ARandomCadet

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 25, 2013, 03:43:15 AM
Cool. I was 12 and worked on holidays for 5/hour. Made like 300+ over winter break!  Still didn't need a debit card. Where are you going to use it if you can't get anywhere?
I'm traveling a lot now, I'm gone to three activities for a whole month in a row. I get access to my mom's bank account so I can buy stuff while gone. And for my brother to buy lunch with when my mom is at work.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: SarDragon on June 25, 2013, 03:51:24 AM
When I was 12, I got my first DD Form 1173. That had a much higher kool factor than a debit card would have had. Still got one!
At my school, kids carry DD Form 1173s around like a pilot carrying their pilots license. I live near an AFB, so most kids dads come to the school in flight suits. We are home to the ENJJPT program, so it is pretty interesting hearing where people get stationed. We have kids from all the countries that come here for pilot training.

NCRblues

Quote from: ILikePlanes on June 25, 2013, 04:57:32 AM
I'm traveling a lot now, I'm gone to three activities for a whole month in a row. I get access to my mom's bank account so I can buy stuff while gone. And for my brother to buy lunch with when my mom is at work.

Troll alert.

What 12 year old is up past midnight on a weekday?

What no stripe cadet is gone for an entire month at activities?

This is trolling.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

ARandomCadet

Quote from: NCRblues on June 25, 2013, 05:17:06 AM
Quote from: ILikePlanes on June 25, 2013, 04:57:32 AM

Troll alert.

What 12 year old is up past midnight on a weekday?

What no stripe cadet is gone for an entire month at activities?

This is trolling.
1. School is out, I stay up til' 2 in the morning. Also right now I don't have anything to do, so I can stay up late and sleep til' 10:30 in the morning,
2. Not CAP activities, two week in West Virginia for a national Boy Scout event, then the morning after I get back from that I leave on another Boy Scout trip to Southern Texas, then when I get back from that I immediatly leave on family vacation to Colorado. Btw, if anyone needs updates on the CO fires, like this page:www.facebook.com/westforkfirecolorado