Main Menu

CAP CAC Card Poll

Started by ARandomCadet, June 23, 2013, 04:27:42 AM

Should the USAF approve CAP to have CAC cards?

Yes, it is for the better interest of everyone, due to current identification errors.
9 (24.3%)
No, it is not necessary at this point in time
20 (54.1%)
I really couldn't care whether we had them or not
9 (24.3%)
No, we should have DBIDS
5 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 37

ARandomCadet

Should the USAF approve for CAP to have CAC cards? Should we have cards that look like what I learned to do in tech lab? Cast your opinion in the poll, or leave your answer, and suggestions, in the comments.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Absolutely no need whatsoever.

Your listed reasons are nowhere close to the real possible reasons for having or not having CAC cards for CAP.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ARandomCadet

Quote from: SarDragon on June 23, 2013, 04:29:58 AM

Your listed reasons are nowhere close to the real possible reasons for having or not having CAC cards for CAP.
My reasons are just a simple reason. There are too many reasons people come up with for me to list them all.

SarDragon

Quote from: ILikePlanes on June 23, 2013, 04:35:38 AM

My reasons are just a simple reason. There are too many reasons people come up with for me to list them all.

Too simple, and wrong.

This one - Yes, it is for the better interest of everyone - is way too broad, and nonspecific. Why would it be in CAP's better interest?

This one - No, it makes us look too much like the Air Force - makes no sense.What does being like the AF have to do with having or not having a CAC card.

I think you need to come up with some better justifications for each case before trying to take a poll.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Should the ability to create a poll be limited to forum users with accounts not less than 60 days old as well as having a specified number of posts?

SAREXinNY

a2capt,

I've been a member here for a while.  Just because I keep my mouth shut and my ears open shouldn't prevent me from participating.  Responding to posts regularly doesn't make you right.  I'm sure the OP will be crashing and burning on this post just fine without admin intervention.

SarDragon

You appear to be an adult, with some reasonably well developed critical thinking skills. The OP is neither, hence the half-baked poll. I'm trying to help the latter part along.

As for limitations on polls, I'm mixed. The rules have gone back and forth over time, and we still haven't reached a happy medium.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

I would be in favor of rules that limited the ability to post an article until you've been a member for "x" amount of time and
read "x" number of articles.

That would curtail the drive-bys and repetitive "new guy, old question" stuff which makes up most of the arguments on this board.

"That Others May Zoom"

ARandomCadet

Quote from: SarDragon on June 23, 2013, 04:54:33 AM
Quote from: ILikePlanes on June 23, 2013, 04:35:38 AM

Too simple, and wrong.

This one - Yes, it is for the better interest of everyone - is way too broad, and nonspecific. Why would it be in CAP's better interest?

This one - No, it makes us look too much like the Air Force - makes no sense.What does being like the AF have to do with having or not having a CAC card.

I think you need to come up with some better justifications for each case before trying to take a poll.
In the event we are in uniform, such as stops such as dinner before a meeting, and we are asked to show an ID and we show a CAC, wouldn't it make an impression we are in the Air Force?

Майор Хаткевич

No? Maybe plan your schedule better so that you aren't seen around town 24/7 in uniform? I know AD folks who wear the uniform less than you want to...

SAREXinNY

Mr. ILikePlanes, I strongly suggest you take a page out of my book.  Mouth...shut, ears (or in this case eyes)...open.  You learn a LOT more that way.

SarDragon

Quote from: ILikePlanes on June 23, 2013, 05:20:36 AM
In the event we are in uniform, such as stops such as dinner before a meeting, and we are asked to show an ID and we show a CAC, wouldn't it make an impression we are in the Air Force?

No. Most civilians don't even know what a CAC card is, anyway. They just look at it as a form of ID, and move on. They know little about its special features, over and above having your name and picture.

And why would you be needing to show an ID at a restaurant? I was rarely asked for any kind of identification as a cadet, and the only time I use my ID as a senior member is to sign in at missions. You're clutching at straws here, and coming up short.

Bottom line, you still haven't come up with any good reasons, pro or con, for having CAC cards.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ARandomCadet

Quote from: SAREXinNY on June 23, 2013, 05:29:03 AM
Mr. ILikePlanes, I strongly suggest you take a page out of my book.  Mouth...shut, ears (or in this case eyes)...open.  You learn a LOT more that way.
That's not the way I do it at school. I don't listen to the teacher most of the time, and figure it out myself. Then I find errors that the teacher made, and get it correct, and get good grades. Mostly in math and history, I sleep in history and get good grades, while in math I draw throughout the class and get good grades. The other teachers will kill you, except for in science. In science you are given instructions on what to do and then you do it.

Майор Хаткевич

ColonelJack

Quote from: ILikePlanes on June 23, 2013, 06:28:07 AM
Quote from: SAREXinNY on June 23, 2013, 05:29:03 AM
That's not the way I do it at school. I don't listen to the teacher most of the time, and figure it out myself. Then I find errors that the teacher made, and get it correct, and get good grades. Mostly in math and history, I sleep in history and get good grades, while in math I draw throughout the class and get good grades. The other teachers will kill you, except for in science. In science you are given instructions on what to do and then you do it.

Wow.  Just ... wow.

Mr. Rainey, as a history teacher, I can assure you of two things:  one, you would not be sleeping in my class; and two, if you were to try and do so, your grades would most certainly show that you did.

Oy.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

RiverAux

It is a reasonable question for a poll.  Post your vote and if you want to argue for or against it, thats fine, but there is no need to complain about its mere existence. 

And what is the difference between allowing a new member to start a thread or make a post and starting a poll?  Get over it.

FlyTiger77

I am not sure which is more frustrating: (A) That Cadet Rainey/Chuck Norris/ILikePlanes continues to post nonsense about the functioning of life in a world that bears no resemblance to any world with which I am familiar, or (B) That I keep reading and responding to it.

I see no value in CAP having a CAC. The only times I regularly use either of the two CACs that I possess are to gain access to military installations and to log onto NIPRNet computer systems. CAP has a process for entering military installations and CAP has no need to log onto NIPRNet computer systems.

The other use for a CAC (or any military-issued ID) is to identify the Geneva Convention category if the holder is captured. That, too, is of no value to CAP.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Critical AOA

CAC stands for Common Access Card, so when you write or say "CAC Card" you are being redundant as you are saying "Common Access Card Card" which is ridiculous.   Grow up, get an education, gain some real life experience and try to change CAP or even the world then.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

lordmonar

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on June 23, 2013, 01:50:22 PM
CAC stands for Common Access Card, so when you write or say "CAC Card" you are being redundant as you are saying "Common Access Card Card" which is ridiculous.   Grow up, get an education, gain some real life experience and try to change CAP or even the world then.
That is true.....but it is what those of use with a CAC card call it so you are kind of barking up the wrong tree.  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP