Main Menu

Renewing Membership

Started by stillamarine, January 25, 2010, 02:12:23 AM

stillamarine

So, a little over a year ago I got hired by a Police Department and I've been crazy working. I've finally got time to where I can get back involved in a unit and I'm trying to get back in. My membership expired Mar 31, 2009. If I rejoin now will I lose my rank, TIS, TIG etc? Also I was rated as an MO will I have to start that back again from the beginning?

Can I rejoin now in a new wing or do I need to join in my last wing and then transfer? I appreciate the help

Tim
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Cecil DP

several options

1. rejoin and apply for a grade reinstatement. New DOR begins the day you get it back. Training levels completed remain. You have to be fingerprinted again.

2.  Pay the back dues, which allows you to rejoin without a break in service, keep you current DOR and TIG. Still have to reaccomplish the fingerprint screeing.

You can join any unit, but if you do the late renewal route, you'll be assigned to your old unit, until the new one processes a transfer.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

flyboy53

Use the toll-free number to talk with the membership people at NHQ. If they allow, then pay the back dues and be prepared to re-do some of your training. In the nine months, you've lost some critial deadlines so you're going to have to take the child protection stuff again and get fingerprinted again. I would renew for two or more years.

Otherwise, re-join anywhere and apply for grade reinstatement. You will be starting new but at the grade you left (when it's approved.) You may, however, find it easier to re-join your old unit and then apply for transfer.

Be prepared to show your records. Things like ground team badges, pilot and observer wings are permanet (once earned, their permanent). Some ribbons are permanent as long as you can show proof.

stillamarine

Thanks for the responses guys. I think what I'm gonna do is the late renewal with FLWG then before Mar31 get transfered up here and do a renewal with ALWG. Its a few bucks cheaper lol.

Has there been any major changes I need to know about? ES Training, uniforms, etc?
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: flyboy1 on January 25, 2010, 11:32:56 AMSome ribbons are permanent as long as you can show proof.
How do you lose decorations you earned? Membership lapse or not, if you earned them, they're in your records and they're yours, so I'm not sure what you mean.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

arajca

If the paperwork is not completed and on file, you cannot wear awards you may have previously earned.

For example:
WIWAC, I earned the Disaster Relief ribbon w/o V, Unit Citation, 5 year Red Service Ribbon, Earhart (plus the lower ones). Of these I was able to document my Earhart. I have my original ribbons for the rest, but without documentation, I don't wear them. I had a 15 year separation plus my last unit before the separation lost my file.

ColonelJack

Well, I did a bit of digging after my 12-year break in membership, and discovered something interesting.

My PD awards were intact at NHQ, but my decorations (MSA, 7 CCAs) and other training/activity stuff (Crossfield, Encampment, etc.) weren't.  But since I have the certificates framed and on the wall, I wear them anyway.  That wasn't the interesting thing, though ... I had actually been awarded two other ribbons I didn't even know about.  Somewhere along the way I was awarded the Air Search & Rescue ribbon and Disaster Relief ribbon and didn't even know about it.  Happened during my last year as a member and stuff wasn't getting to me as it should have been.

Now I'm getting the records straight on my rating of Senior Observer.  I'm re-doing the training and have already earned the basic wings again, but I want to wear the star on them legitimately (again) so I fly right seat whenever I get a chance.

Ah, the joys of changeover from paper to electronic records ...

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Chappie

Quote from: ColonelJack on February 16, 2010, 06:22:03 PM
Well, I did a bit of digging after my 12-year break in membership, and discovered something interesting.

My PD awards were intact at NHQ, but my decorations (MSA, 7 CCAs) and other training/activity stuff (Crossfield, Encampment, etc.) weren't.  But since I have the certificates framed and on the wall, I wear them anyway.  That wasn't the interesting thing, though ... I had actually been awarded two other ribbons I didn't even know about.  Somewhere along the way I was awarded the Air Search & Rescue ribbon and Disaster Relief ribbon and didn't even know about it.  Happened during my last year as a member and stuff wasn't getting to me as it should have been.

Now I'm getting the records straight on my rating of Senior Observer.  I'm re-doing the training and have already earned the basic wings again, but I want to wear the star on them legitimately (again) so I fly right seat whenever I get a chance.

Ah, the joys of changeover from paper to electronic records ...

Jack

You will not find the Unit Citation/Commander's Commendation/Meritorious Service on e-services.  The PD awards and Encampments should be listed.   Hopefully you kept the F120 for the decorations :)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

mynetdude

Quote from: Cecil DP on January 25, 2010, 02:45:21 AM
several options

1. rejoin and apply for a grade reinstatement. New DOR begins the day you get it back. Training levels completed remain. You have to be fingerprinted again.

2.  Pay the back dues, which allows you to rejoin without a break in service, keep you current DOR and TIG. Still have to reaccomplish the fingerprint screeing.

You can join any unit, but if you do the late renewal route, you'll be assigned to your old unit, until the new one processes a transfer.

thought you only had to do fingerprinting if you've had more 2+ years break in service? IIRC there are specific regulations about what happens to your membership and renewals for less than 2yr vs 2yr+

ßτε

QuoteSenior members not renewing within 90 days following their membership expiration date have the option of rejoining at any time or renewing within 2 years of their membership expiration date. Membership renewals over 90 days from the expiration date are subject to acceptance by the unit and higher headquarters and payment of retroactive membership dues. A new fingerprint card must also accompany these late renewals.