Main Menu

New Command Patch

Started by SeattleSarge, November 03, 2006, 09:14:47 PM

JohnKachenmeister

I look at it this way...

IF they had come out with the new patch initially, would we be crying?  No, because it is still better then wearing the round seal.

The only reason we are crying and mourning the passing of the old MAJCOM insignia is that we don't like the direction we are moving in, and this is yet another milestone.

Smokey blames MG T.P. for the change of direction.  He may well be right.  I personally don't know if it is T.P., the Air Force, our goofy CAP lawyers, or the al Qaeda Network pushing the new agenda.  I would sure like to know.

If the changes are for valid reasons, we can all be cool with them. 

I just wish someone would take the time to share his vision with us, and let us know who's driving the train, and where the ultimate destination is.  I can handle blowing the whistle better, then.
Another former CAP officer

Major_Chuck

We do need more communication from TP about what his vision for CAP is.   Right now the lack of any true direction has left us in the field wondering.   I see the new website and the occasional "atta boy" message but nothing  to inspire us, or at the least answer questions.   Come out and tell me why the changes. Who's behind it. Chances are good TP will get less  flack from the masses if he's a little more open with us.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

JohnKachenmeister

I'm still keeping the old MAJCOM patch until the last moment of the wear-out date.  Maybe I'll wear out before the patch does!

When I do have to change it, I'll sew it on my leather vest that I wear when I'm riding my Harley around.
Another former CAP officer

DNall

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 08, 2006, 12:44:34 AM
I look at it this way...

IF they had come out with the new patch initially, would we be crying?  No, because it is still better then wearing the round seal.

The only reason we are crying and mourning the passing of the old MAJCOM insignia is that we don't like the direction we are moving in, and this is yet another milestone.

Smokey blames MG T.P. for the change of direction.  He may well be right.  I personally don't know if it is T.P., the Air Force, our goofy CAP lawyers, or the al Qaeda Network pushing the new agenda.  I would sure like to know.

I just wish someone would take the time to share his vision with us, and let us know who's driving the train, and where the ultimate destination is.  I can handle blowing the whistle better, then.
That's exactly my position. If he'd clearly & definitively state a well thought out detailed vision including the trickle down effects, and show the light at the end of the tunnel, THEN we'd all know if this is something we want to be a part of or not. We'd either get on board enthusiastically & workt together as a team with a shared vision toward each of teh stepping stone goals, or we'd understand there may be aa better use for our talents out there & move on. Either way the losses would be replaced in under a  year & we'd be united & moving forward together.

There might be a short stage there where people fight like hell to keep what they know or who disagree with the dircetion & try to change it, but that't something that you can overcome from a position of leadership.

Major_Chuck

Quote from: DNall on November 08, 2006, 05:51:25 PM
I look at it this way...

That's exactly my position. If he'd clearly & definitively state a well thought out detailed vision including the trickle down effects, and show the light at the end of the tunnel, THEN we'd all know if this is something we want to be a part of or not. We'd either get on board enthusiastically & workt together as a team with a shared vision toward each of teh stepping stone goals, or we'd understand there may be aa better use for our talents out there & move on. Either way the losses would be replaced in under a  year & we'd be united & moving forward together.

There might be a short stage there where people fight like hell to keep what they know or who disagree with the dircetion & try to change it, but that't something that you can overcome from a position of leadership.

I heard a term used the other day.  "Sheeple".  People who allow others to lead them around like sheep.  The way we are kept in the dark on a lot of changes (as minor as they may seem in the grand scheme of things) and we are not suspose to question or ask for (or expect) explainations or communication is a problem that originates in the leadership of OUR organization.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

A.Member

I look at it this way...

And I look at it this way...

They did change it!  It's not the world of "what if's".   It's only been about 2 - 3 years and it was easily the best uniform decision in the past several years.  But, now they want to change it again.  There is no reason for the change.  It's not wanted by the members and it's not needed for any other reason (the Posse Comitatus argument doesn't fly).

The patch should remain as is - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

lordmonar

Quote from: A.Member on November 10, 2006, 04:45:02 AM
I look at it this way...

And I look at it this way...

They did change it!  It's not the world of "what if's".   It's only been about 2 - 3 years and it was easily the best uniform decision in the past several years.  But, now they want to change it again.  There is no reason for the change.  It's not wanted by the members and it's not needed for any other reason (the Posse Comitatus argument doesn't fly).

The patch should remain as is - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

It was broke.....we are not the USAF AUX....we are Civil Air Patrol the Official Auxiliary to the USAF.

Now it's fixed.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

A.Member

Quote from: lordmonar on November 10, 2006, 05:52:30 AM
It was broke.....we are not the USAF AUX....we are Civil Air Patrol the Official Auxiliary to the USAF.

Now it's fixed.
Acutally, we are both - depending on the situation.   The current command patch addresses that by listing both.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Psicorp

Quote from: A.Member on November 10, 2006, 03:01:43 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on November 10, 2006, 05:52:30 AM

Now it's fixed.
Acutally, we are both - depending on the situation.   The current command patch addresses that by listing both.

I've been thinking about this...and I'm wondering if the change to the patch was to make it "more appropriate" for wear on the Corporate flightsuit.  It seems to me that the tag "U.S. Air Force Auxilliary" is used most often with the Air Force style uniforms (i.e. it's on the gray nametag for the blues) and it's taken off the Corporate uniforms (those nametags just say "Civil Air Patrol").   

There should only be one MAJCOM patch, so in the eyes of the "Powers That Be", the version which could be worn on both types of uniforms is the one that wins.  Just a thought.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

mawr

A valid point.  As an aside, I could have swore that I read somewhere that the AF was behind the change in the MAJCOM emblem, but I've tried to find where I read that and can't.  SO, I was probably day dreaming.  :)
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP

A.Member

Quote from: Psicorp on November 10, 2006, 04:44:36 PM
I've been thinking about this...and I'm wondering if the change to the patch was to make it "more appropriate" for wear on the Corporate flightsuit.  It seems to me that the tag "U.S. Air Force Auxilliary" is used most often with the Air Force style uniforms (i.e. it's on the gray nametag for the blues) and it's taken off the Corporate uniforms (those nametags just say "Civil Air Patrol").   

There should only be one MAJCOM patch, so in the eyes of the "Powers That Be", the version which could be worn on both types of uniforms is the one that wins.  Just a thought.
Probably the best argument I've heard so far... 

Although, how many corporate flight suits have you ever seen?  I've never seen one...although I'm told they exist.  What's more, it's the corporate uniform, so, in theory, it wouldn't necessarily have to have the same patch.  Precedent: Headgear rules for CAP BDU are different from USAF-style BDUs.  Not that I'm necessarily advocating yet another uniform combo.

Psicorp

Quote from: A.Member on November 10, 2006, 11:16:09 PM
Quote from: Psicorp on November 10, 2006, 04:44:36 PM

Probably the best argument I've heard so far... 

Although, how many corporate flight suits have you ever seen?  I've never seen one...although I'm told they exist.  What's more, it's the corporate uniform, so, in theory, it wouldn't necessarily have to have the same patch.  Precedent: Headgear rules for CAP BDU are different from USAF-style BDUs.  Not that I'm necessarily advocating yet another uniform combo.

I actually bought a corporate flight suit...at least I think it's the Corporate flightsuit (there is no other designation for exactly what it is).  I found a new CWU 73/P on Ebay for $40.  If I lived around a military base and interacted with the military, then I'd go with the green zoom suit.   I'd never considering ordering the Corporate flightsuit from Vanguard...$268!! Yikes!  Not when the Air Force flight suit can be had on Ebay for $50 or less.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

DNall

Quote from: Psicorp on November 11, 2006, 03:44:53 AM
I actually bought a corporate flight suit...at least I think it's the Corporate flightsuit (there is no other designation for exactly what it is).  I found a new CWU 73/P on Ebay for $40.  If I lived around a military base and interacted with the military, then I'd go with the green zoom suit.   I'd never considering ordering the Corporate flightsuit from Vanguard...$268!! Yikes!  Not when the Air Force flight suit can be had on Ebay for $50 or less.
Gees you actually got two fight suits? Well I do too actually, but they're both of the green & free variety. I can't imagine paying for a blue one unless I had no choice. I never understand why members feel a need to own every possible uniform combination & then complain about costs - not saying that's what you're doing, just an aside.

flyguy06

Quote from: mawr on November 04, 2006, 03:51:53 AM
Quote from: Smokey on November 04, 2006, 02:11:36 AM
My AF Aux ccommand patch will only be removed from my flight suit by the use of a blowtorch, dynamite and and/or nuclear weapons.

It's not like the command patch on the flight suit has been around that long.  Up until a few years ago it was the CAP Seal.  There is no real history in this, unless you've only been a member for just a few years.  The command patch doesn't make you a better (or lesser for that matter) CAP Officer.

Yaeh, but I just bought the darn thing and it came last week and is currently in the alteration shop getting put on. Now you're telling me I have to buy another one. That sucks

pixelwonk

Quote from: flyguy06 on November 16, 2006, 02:16:50 AM

Yaeh, but I just bought the darn thing and it came last week and is currently in the alteration shop getting put on. Now you're telling me I have to buy another one. That sucks
Hook 'n Loop on a zoombag serves an altogether different purpose in CAP :)

SarDragon

Excet that my hook and loop (a.k.a Velcro) matches the shape of the patch it's holding on.  :o
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major_Chuck

Well. I'm not changing mine. This volunteer organization is starting to get  expensive with all the uniform changes.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

ELTHunter

I wondered why the MAJCOM patch already had velcro sewed on it straight from the bookstore.  Now I am thinking that all CAP patches should come that way...much easier to change to the next rev.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

RiverAux

The trick is to sew on enough extra velcro backing on the flight suit in order to accomodate all the crazy shaped patches you might need to put on it. 

pixelwonk

Quote from: RiverAux on November 17, 2006, 04:48:17 AM
The trick is to sew on enough extra velcro backing on the flight suit in order to accomodate all the crazy shaped patches you might need to put on it.