Electronic Logbooks?

Started by Crash, January 11, 2010, 03:25:21 PM

FlyTiger77

Has anything changed over the last two years?

After a brief 16 year hiatus, I am back flying and thinking about an electronic logbook. Are there any pros or cons?

I have about 800 hours that I will have to input at some point, but that won't take but a rainy day (or two or three).

Thanks in advance.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

JeffDG

Helo hours don't count as "flying", more "beating the atmosphere into submission".
>:D

FlyTiger77

Quote from: JeffDG on April 03, 2012, 02:23:01 PM
Helo hours don't count as "flying", more "beating the atmosphere into submission".
>:D

Easy, killer. Jealousy doesn't become you.  ;)

Seriously, any advice on an electronic log book? I downloaded the evaluation copy of Logbook Pro and it seems sufficient but not terribly refined.

I had someone recommend against using an electronic logbook in the off chance of having an accident and then the insurance company getting wind of the existence of the log book and using any discrepancy to deny a claim.

Personally, I find that to be about two levels beyond my typical paranoia level, but I may just be naive.

Eclipse

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 03, 2012, 03:05:52 PM
I had someone recommend against using an electronic logbook in the off chance of having an accident and then the insurance company getting wind of the existence of the log book and using any discrepancy to deny a claim.

Wouldn't the same be true for a standard, hand-written log?

"That Others May Zoom"

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Eclipse on April 03, 2012, 03:19:34 PM

Yes, it would. His instructions to his significant other are to burn said log book in the event of an accident.

***My 300th post in just 2.3 short years on CAP Talk***

JeffDG

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 03, 2012, 03:23:12 PM

Yes, it would. His instructions to his significant other are to burn said log book in the event of an accident.

Better solution:  don't lie in your logbook...telling the truth makes keeping your story straight much easier!

Now, with you at an even 300, we can pick on you and you can't respond without messing up your count!

FlyTiger77

Quote from: JeffDG on April 03, 2012, 04:10:39 PM
Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 03, 2012, 03:23:12 PM

Better solution:  don't lie in your logbook...telling the truth makes keeping your story straight much easier!

I think his concern was with making an inadvertant error that would be used to deny a claim as opposed to telling a lie/fib.

JeffDG

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 03, 2012, 04:18:26 PM
I think his concern was with making an inadvertant error that would be used to deny a claim as opposed to telling a lie/fib.
I thought better of that the moment I posted it...didn't mean to impugn the integrity of anyone there...even if I don't know who you're talking about!

Huey Driver

Back to more relevancy on the topic, I made an Excel worksheet for anyone who logs gliders and in minutes.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

FalconHatTrick

I personally use flightlogg.in it was created by an alum of my university.  Its not highly customizable, but you are able to add tags to each aircraft and run totals off those tags.  and its FREE!

For example, If you fly a G1000 or Avidyne system, you can add a "glass cockpit"  tag, and search total hours by the tag "glass cockpit" or whatever tag you add.  Also for those who are going for new certificates it has a milestones section that give you totals towards, private, commercial or ATP and 135 VFR and PIC requirements. And of course it gives you currency for day/night, multi, etc. Plus it also gives you 8710 totals!

I've used it for close to 4 years now, so I can attest that it does what anyone would need an e-logbook for.  So to the OP, you can add a tag for CAP aircraft and be able to total your times for CAP flights. 
Maj, CAP
Former C/Lt Col
ATP/CFI/CFII
LR-JET/DA-50

peter rabbit

I have a standard paper logbook which is my official record. I also photocopy the pages as completed, plus key page totals to a spreadsheet. The copies are for backup. The spreadsheet checks my addition plus keeps up with my time in each type of aircraft I've flown. Overkill? Maybe but I've had reason to rely on all.

scooter

If all you are doing is CAP flying, your time is in a WMIRS pilot log. On the WMIRS main page, click on "Reports" then "Pilot Log". enter the data and it will display your time, you can print them for reference. Not really a log book but really good backup info.