Sleeping Bag Suggestions

Started by MikeD, December 30, 2009, 07:34:54 AM

MikeD

Can anyone suggest a lightwight and small sleeping bag?  I'm in the CA High Desert, so for missions (and camping and SAREXs) the temperature range can be from anywhere around 40 to 70-80.  For small/light, is it advisable to use one rated for a warmer temp range since if it's that cold I'd have a parka?

The sleeping bag and tent both go in the 72 hour pack, and only some kind of shelter in place material (like a poncho) go in the 24 hour pack, right? 

Eclipse

Quote from: MikeD on December 30, 2009, 07:34:54 AM
The sleeping bag and tent both go in the 72 hour pack, and only some kind of shelter in place material (like a poncho) go in the 24 hour pack, right?

Correct.

BTW - I need one too.  What I have is an old Army mummy-style.  It fits in my gear but is heavy as poop and being tall not very comfortable.
I usually sleep on top of it (heh, assuming I'm not in my camper, which is where you'll find this REMF during anything short of Armageddon).

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

You might like this one: Suisse Sport Adventure Extra-Small Lightweight Mummy Sleeping Bag

Extra-small sleeping bag designed for size- and weight-conscious hikers Compresses down to 12 x 7 x 7 inches in included stuff sack
100-percent polyester ripstop linings; double-layer construction
700-gram Micro Tekk.7 microfiber insulation; full chest baffle
Draft tube and utility pocket; weighs 2.9 pounds in the stuff sack

The Suisse Sport Adventure extra-small sleeping bag is ideal for long treks when a few inches or pounds can make the difference between a pleasant hike and an unbearable slog. The mummy bag is ultra-compact, compressing down to 12 by 7 by 7 inches when in the stuff sack. How small is that? Well, it's petite enough to hold in the palm of your hand. That means you can easily fit the bag in your hiking pack without using up a third of your pack space. At the same time, the bag is warm and comfortable, with a 100-percent polyester ripstop outer and inner lining, a double-layer construction, and a 700-gram Micro Tekk.7 high-performance microfiber insulation. The construction materials ad up to a 30-degree F temperature rating, making the bag a good choice for summer, spring, and fall camping trips. Other details include a full chest baffle, a draft tube, and a utility pocket. The Adventure sleeping bag measures 29.5 by 84.5 inches (W x L) when open and weighs 2.9 pounds in the stuff sack. The bag is also machine-washable for easy cleaning.

It's only $39.99 right now too!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

davedove

No real recommendations except to say to get one rated for the coldest common temperatures you have.  The sleeping bag is not where you want to get stingy; that's what keeps you warm at night.  Plus, if you have a good sleeping bag, you can get by with a lesser tent.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

alamrcn

Quote from: MikeD on December 30, 2009, 07:34:54 AM
the temperature range can be from anywhere around 40 to 70-80.

Happy New Year, Mike! It's a high of 9'F today in Minnesnowda  :D

If you're going to only use this bag for CAP, at those temps I think your first concern will be size and weight. Then go with the lowest temp available of the size/weight and PRICE that meet your need.

Almost anything is going to get you down to 50 degrees, and you'll still find plenty of selection down to 20 degrees. I don't know the Suisse brand, but it looks like a heck of deal!

I use a pair of Slumberjacks myself, and they look about the same size as the one linked. However they are rectangle which I believe are more comforatable, and you can fit all your cloths inside the bag - for your insulation, and to keep them warm when you get dressed in the morning. They also zip together as a two-person bag if I go family camping with my old lady  ;)

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

bandog5

This website has really great deals.  the link below has a three piece system that has a gore-tex liner bag, a patrol sleeping bag that goes down to 32 degrees and a stuff sack.  if you just want the bag, i think its about 30 dollars, for all three its closer to 70.  they have the components in ACU dig camo and in woodland.  hope this helps

<https://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/Tennier_Industries_Universal_Camouflage_Modular_Sleep_System_-3_PC_System.html>

GTCommando

CTD did have one rated down to 40 deg. that rolls up to smaller than a football for $39.95, but for some reason I can't find it on the website.  ???
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

ol'fido

I feel like I am trapped in most mummy bags so I ordered an XL Slumberjack from Campmor which I really like. I prefer mummy bags because I usually sleep with just my nose and mouth sticking through the opening in the hood. Almost more important than the bag is what you put under it. Get a good quality selfinflater or a waffle. Some people might like something thicker but these add bulk. Avoid traditional air matresses in winter. Slumberjack usually offers a good product at reasonable prices. I personally can't afford a whole bunch of North Face gear but I don't camp and backpack like I used to either.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

GroundHawg

As far as surplus bags go, I have an Israeli AF one that I love as a summer bag and I used to have, before being stolen, a German one (the jacket that doubled as a sleeping bag) that was good for warmer weather.

dogboy

It's not clear to me if you have to carry this bag far. If so, there's an infantry saying, "Travel light, freeze at night".  When I was a boy in the Marines we usually carried only a poncho and liner

If you have to carry it some distance, I suggest a quality 3 season mummy bag with a synthetic fill. Down is lighter and packs tighter but if it gets wet, you're fracked.

As mentioned by others, make sure you have sufficient insulation from the ground. A closed cell foam pad provides insulation but isn't very comfortable. An inflatable foam pad is heaven but bulky and heavier.

Many manufacturers are very optimistic about the temperature comfort range for a bag. In other words, often a bag rated for 20 degrees is only adequate for 30. A reputable store like REI is realistic about temperature ratings and has to be, because of their guarantee

Our 100% satisfaction guarantee ensures that every item you purchase at REI meets your high standards—or you can return it for a replacement or refund.

http://www.rei.com/shared/help/guarantee.html

I'm using the same quality sleeping bag I bought in 1973! A good bag is a long-term investment.

MarkJ

Don't know if you got a bag yet, but if you want to go super light, you can get a poncho with a liner. 

IceNine

I can't think of a single instance where we would ever be far enough away from vehicles to actually CARRY a sleeping bag.

A super high quality 3 layer bag system can be stored in the vehicle and will then work for multiple temp ranges.

Always pretend you are going to be sleeping in 20 degrees colder than the expected low for the evening.  And, in my vehicle for "camping" operations I carry THIS.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

ElectricPenguin

L
Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 30, 2009, 08:59:05 PM
You might like this one: Suisse Sport Adventure Extra-Small Lightweight Mummy Sleeping Bag

Extra-small sleeping bag designed for size- and weight-conscious hikers Compresses down to 12 x 7 x 7 inches in included stuff sack
100-percent polyester ripstop linings; double-layer construction
700-gram Micro Tekk.7 microfiber insulation; full chest baffle
Draft tube and utility pocket; weighs 2.9 pounds in the stuff sack
f
The Suisse Sport Adventure extra-small sleeping bag is ideal for long treks when a few inches or pounds can make the difference between a pleasant hike and an unbearable slog. The mummy bag is ultra-compact, compressing down to 12 by 7 by 7 inches when in the stuff sack. How small is that? Well, it's petite enough to hold in the palm of your hand. That means you can easily fit the bag in your hiking pack without using up a third of your pack space. At the same time, the bag is warm and comfortable, with a 100-percent polyester ripstop outer and inner lining, a double-layer construction, and a 700-gram Micro Tekk.7 high-performance microfiber insulation. The construction materials ad up to a 30-degree F temperature rating, making the bag a good choice for summer, spring, and fall camping trips. Other details include a full chest baffle, a draft tube, and a utility pocket. The Adventure sleeping bag measures 29.5 by 84.5 inches (W x L) when open and weighs 2.9 pounds in the stuff sack. The bag is also machine-washable for easy cleaning.

It's only $39.99 right now too!

Wow! Thks, I will have to look at this.

JoeTomasone

IceNine

At first glace the "danger" is CO poisoning.  And specifically in a sealed room.

I don't know how many tents you've been in but I've never had one that was anywhere near air tight.  And most of the time there is a ridge vent.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

JoeTomasone

Quote from: IceNine on January 21, 2011, 07:28:22 PM
At first glace the "danger" is CO poisoning.  And specifically in a sealed room.

I don't know how many tents you've been in but I've never had one that was anywhere near air tight.  And most of the time there is a ridge vent.

I said "be careful", not "you're gonna DIE!".   :)

IceNine

I'm failing to see a distinction.    >:D

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

ol'fido

Jeremy, you are failing to see the distinction because you left one of those heaters on in your tent and the CO damage is already done. ;D ;D ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

SarDragon

There are three primary bi-products from the operation of these heaters: H2O, CO, and CO2.

The water is no big deal. The CO, being lighter than air can dissipate through a roof vent. The CO2 , being heavier than air, will settle to the tent floor. This, lacking proper ventilation that may not be provided simply by the roof vent, could lead to asphyxiation.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

HGjunkie

I think we're over-thinking this here...  ;D
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SarDragon

Quote from: HGjunkie on January 23, 2011, 04:38:44 AM
I think we're over-thinking this here...  ;D

Why do you say that? Improper operation of almost any non-electric heater has the potential for Co/CO2 asphyxiation.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

gordo07

I prefer mountain hardware myself. I have one at work, which some summers I'm in it more than my own bed, and I have one for personal use. I like to get them a little longer than myself so that I can "burrow" into it when I sleep. I usually then just throw one of theose good heavy E-blankets on the ground or slide in a bivy sac. who needs a tent.

IceNine

Quote from: gordo07 on January 25, 2011, 04:05:14 PM
who needs a tent.

Men that no one should have to see without a shirt on...

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

gordo07

GroundHawg

ElectricPenguin

N7MOG

Bill Collister
SDWG DC
Cadet in 1968-1973 (Mitchell Award)
Collecter of knowledge since then, finding out my parents got real smart about the time I turned 18....
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome - Semper Fidelis

The original content of this post is Copyright (c) 2014 by William Collister.  The right to reproduce the content of this post within CAP-Talk only for the purposes of providing a quoted reply, by CAP-Talk users only, is specifically granted. All other rights, including "Fair Use," are specifically reserved.