Name change: Air Education and Training Command - Familiarization Course

Started by alamrcn, December 21, 2009, 04:14:54 PM

alamrcn

I believe with the 2009 class of the AETC-FC changed the activity name change to "Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training - Familiarization Course".

Although only the AETC-FC patch is available from Vanguard, the new emblem has approval and the new patch presumably will look like this sample...

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

BlueLakes1

Hey Ace,

The name change actually took place in 2007, not 2009. The new patch design (really just a recoloring) came from the staff at SUPT-FC Columbus; I believe that the Laughlin folks switched at the same time, although I wouldn't swear to that.

At this time, there are 3 different variants of the patch that you've pictured that I'm aware of. I'll fill you in on them a bit later.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

alamrcn

Heheh, Matt... You should help fill this in:
http://suptfc.com/about-suptfc/history

But you're absolutely right. I see in the photo section as early as July 2007 class that it references the name change. I had seen another unreliable document out there that was contrary. You'll have to hook me up with scans (or actuals) of the others, and help me better document their dates of use.

This is exactly the kind of thing we have to get straight while it's fresh in someone's brain. Otherwise the history gets guessed at, or not documented at all.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

The CyBorg is destroyed

Call me dumb, uninformed, whatever, but can seniors take part in this too, or is it just a cadet activity?

I saw some CAP SM's on the website, but they were staff.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on February 04, 2010, 07:31:16 PM
Call me dumb, uninformed, whatever, but can seniors take part in this too, or is it just a cadet activity?

Well lets see here, it's a National Cadet Special Activity.

What do you think?

davidsinn

Quote from: PHall on February 04, 2010, 08:14:12 PM

What do you think?

So's NBB but seniors go to that too.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Spike

Quote from: davidsinn on February 04, 2010, 08:26:10 PM

What do you think?

Hawk, and others.

He looks like a fool!

PHall

Quote from: Spike on February 04, 2010, 08:47:32 PM

What do you think?

Hawk, and others.

He looks like a fool!

But Hawk, Blue Beret and NESA are not NCSA's. They are "National" activities that accept both cadets and seniors.

ol'fido

SUPT FC? Superintendent Familiarization Course? Do they teach you to wear a tool belt and roll your pack of smokes in the sleeve of your t-shirt just like Schneider or is there a course on the proper amount of "plumber's crack" to show? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

raivo

I never went to AETC-FC (AFSPC-FC was more my thing), but was it always focused around SUPT?

I'm just curious, because, there's a lot more to AETC than pilot training.

Like 29B's.  >:D

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: raivo on February 05, 2010, 06:38:55 AM
I never went to AETC-FC (AFSPC-FC was more my thing), but was it always focused around SUPT?

The activity is strictly focused on UPT. I attended this activity at Laughlin AFB WIWAC, back when it was called ATCFC (for Air Training Command).
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

lordmonar

Quote from: PHall on February 04, 2010, 09:20:34 PM
Quote from: Spike on February 04, 2010, 08:47:32 PM

What do you think?

Hawk, and others.

He looks like a fool!

But Hawk, Blue Beret and NESA are not NCSA's. They are "National" activities that accept both cadets and seniors.
Senior members do particpate in NCSAs.  They usually do so as staff members.  If you intrested you contact the activity directors directly for instructions on how to apply.

And for the recotd NBB, HMRS and NESA are considered NCSA's for the perspose of wearing the ribbon according to 39-3 and they are awarded to both cadets and seniors.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

flyguy06

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on February 07, 2010, 06:10:15 PM
Quote from: raivo on February 05, 2010, 06:38:55 AM

The activity is strictly focused on UPT. I attended this activity at Laughlin AFB WIWAC, back when it was called ATCFC (for Air Training Command).

I went to ATCFC at Columbus AFB in 1985

Spike

I have two Cadets attending this year.  Question.......is it worthwhile if you have your sights set on an aviation career (specifically USAF), or is it more of a "wow...look at that plane over there" activity?

Hands on??

flyguy06

Oh, its definantly worth while if you're interested in becomming a USAF pilot. You attend the actually classes the students attend. At least thats how it was when i went. It was great to interact withthe Air Froce pilots and see what their training is like. I had a great time

DC

Quote from: Spike on February 08, 2010, 07:41:38 PM
I have two Cadets attending this year.  Question.......is it worthwhile if you have your sights set on an aviation career (specifically USAF), or is it more of a "wow...look at that plane over there" activity?

Hands on??
I went last year, and while I cannot speak for the TX activity, the one in MS was perfect for someone seriously considering flying for the Air Force.

It's run by former AF instructor pilots, and they do their best to accurately simulate what an actual student pilot in UPT goes through. As with actual UPT, a large portion of the course is devoted to academics, the cadets learn all of the major systems in the T-6, as well as some basic info on aerobatic and formation flying. They will get multiple opportunities to talk to student pilots and pick their brains, as well as IPs and possibly higher level people like the Wing CC or Ops Group CC. Near the end of the week they will get some simulator time, and the top cadets in the class get to go for a flight in a T-1. There is also some tours, they will go see the control tower, aerospace physiology building, base ops, the flightline (more than once, most likely), and a few other places.

Overall, it is a fantastic activity for someone who is truly interested in flying for the USAF, or wants to see if they can do it. It's academics heavy, but there is also plenty of fun, hands-on stuff to do.