Blue Beret question

Started by RogueLeader, December 01, 2009, 05:57:56 PM

Gunner C

RickFranz

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 02, 2009, 04:02:43 PM
If I attend, would I be allowed to burn my beret in effigy and just wear the BDU cap?

I know I should have smacked you while I had the chance!  ;D >:D
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

Airrace

Thanks for all the information. I plan to apply and this wil be valuable information.

DBlair

For SMs interested in attending, do we have to apply via a selection process or do we just apply directly somehow?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Pace

Apply on e-services just as cadets do.  If you are selected, you will be notified.  I am unsure of how SMs are selected if there are more applications than space available.  Maybe an NCSA project officer can answer that one if one is on this board (I know a few are lurkers).
Lt Col, CAP

High Speed Low Drag

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on December 02, 2009, 07:18:12 AM
Q:  I earned my beret in '85 - (Volk Field then Oshkosh). Got back into CAP little over a year ago, was TAC at encampment.   What type of position would be availble for me?  Would I still be able to wear my beret (still have it too) since the program has changed so much?
? ? ? ? ? ?
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

Pace

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on December 02, 2009, 07:18:12 AM
Q:  I earned my beret in '85 - (Volk Field then Oshkosh). Got back into CAP little over a year ago, was TAC at encampment.   What type of position would be availble for me?  Would I still be able to wear my beret (still have it too) since the program has changed so much?

I missed this post.  There are numerous positions at NBB available to SMs (at least last time I was there): transportation, medical, safety, PAO, Aerospace Ed Officer, legal officer, ES Team, Comm Officer (usually also on the ES Team), TAC Officers (called Tacos - don't get me started...), command staff (although this is already filled), and maybe cooks (although the USAFR or is the the Guard?? usually helps out here).  I may be leaving something out, but that's most of it anyway.

Yes, you can still wear your beret.  If you ever earned it, you can still wear it at NBB.

Just apply in e-services and if you are selected someone will contact you.

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 02, 2009, 03:40:25 PM
If I attend as admin or comm, would I earn the beret or would I have to be a TAC Officer?

Everyone who attends (and doesn't get kicked out, which is rare) earns the beret.  Although if I get to attend again this summer, I will make every effort possible not to wear mine.  It just doesn't do the job under that WI sun. It's also equally as ineffective, if not moreso, when hail starts falling from the sky (at least my BDU cap has a thin layer of cardboard).
Lt Col, CAP

Pace

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 02, 2009, 04:02:43 PM
If I attend, would I be allowed to burn my beret in effigy and just wear the BDU cap?

You'd be outnumbered about 150:1.  I wouldn't recommend it.
Lt Col, CAP

mynetdude

One of these days I want to attend NBB, and I'd like to bring something that sounds kind of odd to the table... but how about IT support? I provided IT for a recent encampment I went to. It worked out quite nicely, now that I have a better idea of what more that could be done I was thinking maybe this might be good to do one of these NBB years.

Does anyone think that IT would be a good addition? It could help PAOs streamline photos from photographers, it can edit them for red eye correction on the fly (although many cameras can do this on board) color correction, sorting good/bad pics.  Providing general support in making sure the internet works and computers work and finding a means for backup alternatives if other computers become unavailable or can be fixed (I can fix computers too).

I also have GES and I plan to add a few quals by 2011.

David Lewis

This IT position is a great idea.  You could also stream photos and new updates onto the Facebook Blue Beret Page while you're there.  You have my vote.

Former C/LtCol
North Central Region Special Services Corps (Blue Beret) 1982, at Fort McCoy then Oshkosh
David M. Lewis, MSgt, USAF (RET)
Captain, Civil Air Patrol
Deputy Commander, Gage County Composite Squadron NCR-NE-095
Former C/LtCol

Eclipse

Quote from: David Lewis on January 27, 2010, 06:21:25 AM
You could also stream photos and new updates onto the Facebook Blue Beret Page while you're there.

You could also post them somewhere adults will see them.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

It takes less than five minutes to sign up, and another five minutes to turn off everything that gives out personal information. For that expense in time, you get to enjoy some benefits like looking at posted pix, you can join groups having interests similar to yours, and connect with folks from HS, college, and other organizations.

As someone no longer living near where I went to HS, it's been convenient forhooking back up with classmates I've lost track of.

It's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be. Well over 75% of my "friends" are adults. Most of those who aren't adults are relatives in other parts of the country.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spike

^ Facebook is a waste.  Twitter is more of a waste.  Social networking is a lazy persons way of interacting with people. 

jeders

Not to derail, but anyone who fails to head the potential of new technology is doomed to be left behind, as has been seen over and over again in history.

Back to the actual discussion, as far as IT, YES YES YES. It's not really necessary to have a full time single task position for IT. But if you know how to set up a network and get computers talking to each other, that would always be appreciated. When I was there, one of the comm guys, a Major whose name slips my memory at the moment, handled the IT stuff.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Quote from: jeders on January 27, 2010, 04:04:32 PM
Not to derail, but anyone who fails to head the potential of new technology is doomed to be left behind, as has been seen over and over again in history.

I agree - there isn't anything remotely "new" about Facebook, twitter, or other similar social media narcisstic time wasters.
All they are is a collection of blank walls where people who don't know or care about each other can post stuff they don't need or want to know about each other publicly in a sad attempt to feel "relevant" and "connected".  While not realizing that they are in fact less of both because they are using these services.

Oh, yeah, and then there are the corporations with customer support lines that people think are "communities", which are, in fact, just cheap ways to direct market and head off complaints, at their customer's expense (both real and privacy).

"That Others May Zoom"

Nathan

Quote from: Eclipse on January 27, 2010, 06:57:51 PM

I agree - there isn't anything remotely "new" about Facebook, twitter, or other similar social media narcisstic time wasters.
All they are is a collection of blank walls where people who don't know or care about each other can post stuff they don't need or want to know about each other publicly in a sad attempt to feel "relevant" and "connected".  While not realizing that they are in fact less of both because they are using these services.

Oh, yeah, and then there are the corporations with customer support lines that people think are "communities", which are, in fact, just cheap ways to direct market and head off complaints, at their customer's expense (both real and privacy).

Sounds like someone needs a Facebook friend request.  ;)
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Eclipse

Quote from: Nathan on January 27, 2010, 07:36:02 PM
Sounds like someone needs a Facebook friend request.  ;)

Heh - nice.   OK. Hijack over, I'll stop.

"That Others May Zoom"

DBlair

Does anyone know if there are still openings for SMs needing to be filled at NBB this summer?

There is a possibility of some changes to my summer plans, and so I may be able to attend and was curious if this would be a possibility.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

jeders

When I went year before last, I think they were needing people still until as late as a week before the event. Though that's the exception rather than the rule, it never hurts to email the Activity Director and find out.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

mynetdude

Back to the actual discussion, as far as IT, YES YES YES. It's not really necessary to have a full time single task position for IT. But if you know how to set up a network and get computers talking to each other, that would always be appreciated. When I was there, one of the comm guys, a Major whose name slips my memory at the moment, handled the IT stuff.

I don't visit this forum regularly (or I'd get into {Censored]-load of trouble like I did in the past) and when I was waiting for replies they were kind of slow but no biggie :) I couldn't attend NBB this year. So I know this is an OLD reply so bear with me.

While I agree an IT position does not need to be a full time position depending on the needs/requirements however it would seem that it would be for NBB as a number of things I can do:

1. setup networks, network printers
2. assist with projectors/connecting them to laptops and placing them where needed
3. assist in streamlining any IT process (automating certificates, etc)
4. photo processing and cataloging/archiving from various photographers
5. stream/post videos/photos to designated website locations

I understand it is common for comms to handle IT sometimes (or even logistics) however I did my first IT position as a dedicated position at an encampment and it wasn't exactly what I thought it would be but gave me more ideas for next encampment and allowed me to serve as a dual "general support staff"

I would definitely consider doing NBB as IT strictly and performing minor general tasks to fill in the blanks.

So hopefully I will see some of you there next year at 2011 (I am working on being FLS qualified for the purpose of my wing but would like to do a little of FLM at NBB as well).