Main Menu

Blue Beret question

Started by RogueLeader, December 01, 2009, 05:57:56 PM

RogueLeader

What role do SMs have at NBB that aren't staff?  Or is that the only positions, other than TAC Officers?

I understand that all need GES quals with GTMt and CAPF 76 prefered.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

davidsinn

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 01, 2009, 05:57:56 PM
What role do SMs have at NBB that aren't staff?  Or is that the only positions, other than TAC Officers?

I understand that all need GES quals with GTMt and CAPF 76 prefered.

I'm interested too. I'd love to go at sometime in the near future and I'm an FLS so I'm sure I'd be useful  ;)
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Angus

Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

RogueLeader

19 Jul- 02 Aug 2010,

Which overlap CCOC by two days . . .  >:( >:( >:(
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Angus

Darn, same time as a real vacation I've been planning.  Maybe I'll be able to go in 2011. 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

jeders

All SMs at NBB are staff of some sort. There are three types of staff, Command/Admin, ES, TAC officers. There may also be some support roles such as cook, but as far as I know that was only once a couple of years ago.

Command/Admin is basically the Activity Commander, Executive Officer, Safety, Med, Finance. These are usually chosen well ahead of time.

ES is really everything that's not Command or TAC officers. This includes working in the Comm shack, hunting down ELTs seperate from the cadet flights, conducting ES training in the pre-operational period, driving CAP vans around the flightlines to shuttle cadets and others around, and in some cases rescuing TAC officers who get there van stuck in the mud on the flightline.

TAC officers work with the cadets to supervise, provide guidance, help train, but most of all keep things going as seamlessly as possible. Many of the cadet staff will not know what to do to keep everyone organized and will come to you for help. You will be responsible for making sure everything is safe in the cadet flights immediate area of concern. Most importantly though, you have to try to do all of this without stepping on the cadet staff's shoes. Though don't be afraid to step in when the cadet staff starts making stupid/unsafe decisions.

Oh yeah, as a TAC you're responsible for driving the van on your flights night out. If you don't have a CAP DL, you should find a driver to drive the van at least 24 hours in advance.

Those are generalities, if you have more questions about the specifics, just ask. And if Lt. Jaeger is the PAO again next year, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to have some people apply for assistant PAO.  >:D
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

jeders

Also, Rick Franz can probably answer your questions with a good bit more detail as he's been there quite a bit more than I have.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

isuhawkeye

I served as the ES director there a few moons ago.  I would be happy to help point specific questions in the right direction

John

Angus

I know Dave Belcher used to go out there what did he do when he went out there?  I never got a chance to talk to him about it.
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Ned

Quote from: jeders on December 01, 2009, 09:20:23 PM
There may also be some support roles such as cook, but as far as I know that was only once a couple of years ago.

I know that they are always looking for cooks and kitchen staff.  Experience is helpful, but not required.  I hear the Dining Facility Manager is a former Spaatz cadet as well as an outstanding cook and leader that has successfully managed both the NBB kitchen as well as some large encampments such as CAWG's.

And she is rather cute.

And lives at my house.   ;D

Seriously, cooking for NBB is a pretty cool gig.

AirAux

One of my cadets will be turning senior shortly and he said he had heard that he had to be a senior for at least six months prior to attending NBB as a senior.  I can't locate this in the Reg's.  Does anyone have any info on this?  Thanks..

isuhawkeye

I was there one year where the cadet commander turned senior at the activity.

NCRblues

No you do not have to be a senior for 6 months to attend. There is kitchen staff, ES/comms, TAC's, command/admin like what has already been said. The kitchen staff usually goes along with one of the flights on their nights out. Tac's have the best time (IMO) because not only to you get to get off the compound but while the cadets are working you get to have a really good time with some of the best cadets in cap. Command/admin lots of paperwork....lots of phone calls.... Hardly ever off the compound. ES/comms, lots of old guys... only joking, no they pretty much make nbb work. PS Maj Aye will be very missed this upcoming summer.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

isuhawkeye

QuotePS Maj Aye will be very missed this upcoming summer
:'(  he will be missed

LtCol057

I went in 97 as a medic.  Had a blast, other than long hours. But did get some down time thanks to my section chief.  Considering there were only 2 of us as medics.

The year I went, the kitchen staff were all USAF Reservists doing their 2 weeks duty. 

I think everyone should experience it at least one time.  I'd like to go back, but job won't allow me the time off.  Maybe in 15 years when I retire.   ::)

RickFranz

Quote from: jeders on December 01, 2009, 09:22:35 PM
Also, Rick Franz can probably answer your questions with a good bit more detail as he's been there quite a bit more than I have.
I would be happy to answer any questions I can.

I have been a flight line driver for the last three years.  Any position a senior member can fill at an encampment we need at NBB.  We do have need of flight line drivers.  TA C's are very important and should be in good shape, with well broken in boots.  Flight line qualification is a plus. 

The Cooking Staff NED was talking about are all CAP members.  I understand that the NG or AG did the cooking for a lot of years, however; for the last 2 years we have had to do it ourselves.  Many someday if then the war is over we can get the Guard to come back and cook again.

Phillip Aye will really be missed, he kept things jumping!!!  :D
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

High Speed Low Drag

Q:  I earned my beret in '85 - (Volk Field then Oshkosh). Got back into CAP little over a year ago, was TAC at encampment.   What type of position would be availble for me?  Would I still be able to wear my beret (still have it too) since the program has changed so much?

G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

RogueLeader

If I attend as admin or comm, would I earn the beret or would I have to be a TAC Officer?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

jimmydeanno

If I attend, would I be allowed to burn my beret in effigy and just wear the BDU cap?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MIKE

Mike Johnston