Main Menu

G1000

Started by Flying Pig, November 30, 2009, 02:48:14 AM

Flying Pig

I was just notified by my Group Commander that my Squadron is receiving a brand new 2010 Cessna 182 G-1000.!!!!   YEEEES!  Now the hard work begins.  We have G1000 pilots, but a couple of us need to get trained up.  Cant WAIT!

Thrashed

Save the triangle thingy

Jill

Robert,

I'm going to take the day off to see this new arrival.  Will bring the digital.

DG

I am a CAP CFAI from 4 1/2 years ago.  April 2005.  Attended at Independence for our U206H NAV III.  (And several hundred hours of instructing as CFII in CAP C-18T NAV III.)

My transfer request papers are in the mail.

:)

blackrain

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

Flying Pig

Quote from: DG on November 30, 2009, 12:53:30 PM
I am a CAP CFAI from 4 1/2 years ago.  April 2005.  Attended at Independence for our U206H NAV III.  (And several hundred hours of instructing as CFII in CAP C-18T NAV III.)

My transfer request papers are in the mail.

:)

Let me know, Ill approve the transfer in e-services! ;D

DG

From what Jill says, Fresno is a great squadron, led by a great squadron commander.

bosshawk

Rob: congratulations, I think!!!!  Now your trials and tribulations are just starting.  From other units that have 1000s, I hear that staying current is a bear, given the amount of hours that we get to stay proficient.  All that said, it is a feather in your cap(?) or something like that.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

scooter

My squadron has had one of these since last August. So far we have put almost 400 hours on it, both training and missions. The best way we have found to train pilots is give them some right seat rides to get familiar with the MFD then transition to the left seat. This works even if they are G1000 qualified in another aircraft. The CAP intercom system is unique to CAP versions of the airplane. Once you get checked out, on a mission you may be solo in the thing even thought there may be two (light weight) bodies in the other seats that may not be familiar with the G1000 system. When this happens, the pilots ability to do the mission things degrades depending on how much time is required to help the help do the programming. Get your crew chief up to speed quickly, lots of things for him to do with the airplane when it arrives. Have fun, fly safe.

c172drv

We are alternating with another squaddron and have had a great deal of luck getting our folks trainined by spending serious time training outseide of the plane and with the ground power supply pluggee in.  Doing button pushing with no prop turning seems to help a lot.  Biggest issues always seem to be in programing the system.  This you can do with out ever starting the engine. 

Good luck with everything.
John Jester
VAWG

genejackson

Ditto to John Jester's comments.   Learn the G1000 and do what you need to do to stay proficient.   Another excellent option is to obtain the training DVD CD-ROM from Garmin.  It's only $25.00.   Be sure you get the current version (9.03au) if you search online from eBay, etc.   Version 9.03au will match the GFC-700 for the current software load in the newer aircraft.   And the new DVD also has the SVT (synthetic vision technology) which is extremely cool.   If you set your screen resolution for 800x600, no SVT.  If you go 1024x768 or higher, you get SVT.   And you can connect a second computer monitor to your laptop and run BOTH the PFD and MFD at the same time for excellent desktop training and practice to stay fresh on the buttons once you complete your scenario based training.  In the menu tree you simply click on "Start Dual Screen Trainer".

This airplane is nothing short of phenominal.   I've recently had several night hard IFR flights with approaches down to minimums and shooting the ILS or a GPS with LNAV-V with the GFC-700 in hard IFR will spoil you such that you'll never want to fly anything else.

Learn the plane by the book, do the scenario based training with a skilled G1000 instructor pilot, use the trainer often to stay on top of your game.  You won't be sorry.

Gene Jackson
VAWG
Gene Jackson
COL (R) US Army
Danville VA

Flying Pig

Does a CFI need to have attended the FACTORY course to instruct in it or will a CAP CFII who is G1000 qualified be sufficient?

FastAttack

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 19, 2009, 06:11:49 AM
Does a CFI need to have attended the FACTORY course to instruct in it or will a CAP CFII who is G1000 qualified be sufficient?

the cfi needs to be a FITS certified instructor.

thats why its hard to get IP's in the first place.

thus the problem in most wings on getting training.

sparks

One comment, if the CFI isn't a factory trained instructor, he/she will need to be trained by a G1000 instructor designated as such by the wing. That instructor wouldn't need to be a factory trained instructor but would have been trained using the FITS Cessna approved course. Of course a specific CAPF 5 for the G1000 would be required at the completion of training. CAPF 60-1 has the information. Your wing may have a 60-1 supplement on qualifications so be sure to check that, mine doesn't.

Good Luck 

DG

(4) Cessna Nav III G1000 Airplanes – In addition to other requirements:
(a) Complete the CAP Cessna G1000 transition syllabus for VFR operation.
(b) For instrument operating privileges in G1000, complete the CAP Cessna G1000 transition syllabus for Instrument operation. To remain current for instrument privileges in G1000 airplanes, a pilot must take an Instrument Proficiency Check using a G1000 airplane or the pilot must complete three of the approaches required for ongoing FAA Instrument currency in a G1000 airplane.
(c) For flight instructor privileges in G1000, complete the CAP Cessna G1000 transition syllabus for Flight Instructors that is given by a Cessna factory trained instructor.
(d) G1000 check pilots must be Cessna factory trained or have provided a minimum of 15 hours dual instruction in G1000 equipped airplanes.

Mustang

I am a CAP CFAI from 4 1/2 years ago.  April 2005.  Attended at Independence for our U206H NAV III. 

CAP has a NAV III U206?  Where?
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

DG

Quote from: Mustang on January 19, 2010, 11:10:58 AM
I am a CAP CFAI from 4 1/2 years ago.  April 2005.  Attended at Independence for our U206H NAV III. 

CAP has a NAV III U206?  Where?

PAWG

I picked it up at the factory almost 5 years ago.

Mustang

What the hell does a lowland state like PA need a 206 for???  That thing belongs somewhere where the additional HP is needed, i.e., mountainous/high D.A. environs.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

SarDragon

Quote from: Mustang on January 20, 2010, 12:45:06 AM
What the hell does a lowland state like PA need a 206 for???  That thing belongs somewhere where the additional HP is needed, i.e., mountainous/high D.A. environs.

Well, they do have the Appalachians. They get all the way up to 3200 feet.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mustang

There you go again, Dave, trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.  ;D