CAP Physical Fitness and National levels unfit to serve

Started by Майор Хаткевич, November 05, 2009, 05:37:48 PM

Майор Хаткевич

A topic on CadetStuff has an article claiming 75% of youth are unfit, physically or criminally to serve.

Seeing as we're having a CPFT discussion, I figured bringing in something like this is also useful.

heliodoc

Would love to say this is news.....

This "news" was around 6-8 years ago now.

These are the cold hard facts....CAP cadets included no matter how one cuts it.

CAP used to have an Aerobics book (author not remembered right now)

The pushups CAP thinks is "hazing," ought to start rethinking it. Running also

CAP legal and safety types ought to read this and get it together that physical fitness is NOT a Form 78 waiting to happen.  They ought to embrace a BETTER CAP PT program.......'cuz   wait one...apparently a GOOD to BETTER CAP PT program is needed.

Start flamin....you want to say I am right >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

lordmonar

I still don't know where we are going to find the time to do it...there is nothing wrong with CAP's standards for PT.....we just don't meet often enough to do everthing we need to do to get cadet ready.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: lordmonar on November 05, 2009, 08:13:34 PM
we just don't meet often enough to do everthing we need to do to get cadet ready. The cadets are too lazy to prepare themselves on their own.

FTFY
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

LtCol Hooligan

The goal of the CAP PT program should be to help the cadets make a lifestyle change.  It should be tough enough that they have to work hard to achieve the goal for the grade they are going for.  It should be challenging enough that they need to realize that PT once a month isn't going to cut it.  It should not be so hard that the cadets lose motivation and give up all together.  We need to make our program be one that helps cadets want to exercise, eat healthier and lead a more healthy lifestyle.  I personally believe that the current PT manual tries to get there, but we as leaders (both senior and cadet) need to do a better job with this.  How do we as leaders get the cadets passed the statement below "they are too lazy to prepare themselves on their own"?
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

lordmonar

Quote from: davidsinn on November 05, 2009, 08:16:41 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on November 05, 2009, 08:13:34 PM
we just don't meet often enough to do everthing we need to do to get cadet ready. The cadets are too lazy to prepare themselves on their own.

FTFY

The call to "do something" about CAP PT program is what I was answering...Like I said there is nothing wrong with CAP's standards and yes the cadets need to work on their own to reach those standards.

However, if you want CAP to take an active part in reducing the number of people who fail to meet military PT standards we would have to make PT a more intragal part of our program.....and that is what I was saying we just don't have the time for.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

arajca

Quote from: heliodoc on November 05, 2009, 07:42:45 PM
The pushups CAP thinks is "hazing," ought to start rethinking it. Running also
The push ups CAP calls hazing is hazing. As has been mentioned numerous times before here, the practice of using push ups for punishment was totally useless because NO ONE IN CAP KNEW HOW TO PROPERLY USE THAT TOOL!!!

"Your shoes aren't shiney enough - drop and give me twenty."
"Your shirt is now wrinkled. Drop"

Cadet doesn't break the sound barrier jumping up when a higher ranking cadet walks past, 50' out. - DROP!

Drop. Because I can drop you.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Eclipse

Helio, is there anything that isn't somehow CAP's fault?

Start with mom and dad being too busy most days to cook a decent meal, and who have no issue with video games instead of anything else because its easier for Solid Snake to raise their kids then for them to have uncomfortable conversations with them.

Move from there to where many school systems have reduced PT to "carry-over-sports" like Golf and ping- pong, or eliminated them altogether because "competition makes people feel sad".

CAP is part of the solution - many of our cadets would do nothingwere it not for CAP.   I agree to better walk-the-walk, CAP needs more contact time.  There are only so many hours in a week, and something else kids suffer from these days is "no need to decide" syndrome, where they are taught they can do anything they want, sports, community groups, school, whatever,  and all at the same time, with no reasoning about balance or priorities.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

^^^ On the nothing to do besides CAP

Solution for CAP to get more PT time in?

Limit Blues to one week a month.
Moderate PT can be done as a unit in BDUs.
Have a monthly weekend event like the Sea Cadets - dedicate time for PT (Our group could do that if Lake County Composite could pull off the bunks/etc)

The above would be a mini-encampment of sorts.

Pylon

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 06, 2009, 12:34:22 AM
^^^ On the nothing to do besides CAP

Solution for CAP to get more PT time in?

Limit Blues to one week a month.
Moderate PT can be done as a unit in BDUs.
Have a monthly weekend event like the Sea Cadets - dedicate time for PT (Our group could do that if Lake County Composite could pull off the bunks/etc)

The above would be a mini-encampment of sorts.

My last unit already does plenty of this.

When I was DCC, we were PT'ing in some form every week, except once a month on our "blues" and classroom night.  Some weeks, that might just mean some stretches, warm-ups and a "casual" 1 or 2-mile formation jog with all the cadets and seniors, along with some cadences, to get the blood moving and everyone motivated before the rest of the scheduled training for the evening.  Sometimes it was just some stretches and ab workouts (flutter kicks, scissors, etc.).   

Formation jogs are a great way to build unit cohension and esprit-de-corps.  Put the guidon bearer up front with your squadron guidon, call out some cadences, and hit the pavement.  Cadet NCOs got good lessons in controlling a large group of people with different abilities, caring for their troops (monitoring for drop-outs, exhaustion, administering hydration, etc.).  We rotated cadet NCOs through leading the runs from start to finish (which included getting the cadets back in the classroom, cooled down and hydrated, on time).   A 20 min PT session every meeting is a better use of time than another class about uniforms or your fifth class this quarter about customs and courtesies.

On educating our cadets, we understand it's not enough to simply PT the cadets once a month (or even once a week) and send 'em home expecting them to know what to do, how to do it, when to do it, and even that they should do it.   So we also educate.  Actually, more accurately, the cadets educate themselves.   Every month, we had a "PT Facts" session, when the cadet chosen for that month presents to the unit information on a health or fitness topic he or she researched themselves.  Not only does it build our cadet's knowledge of health and fitness, but it also hones their public speaking skills.  Great gig for the Cadet Airmen.

We give regular feedback during PT and the cadets are reminded almost weekly that they need to exercise on their own time to improve their fitness levels.

We used SIMS to record cadets' progress on the CPFT.  In addition to simply giving them info on whether or not they were passing, we had a squadron form for giving Physical Fitness Feedback.  For cadets who were just passing or not passing at all, this form was used to show them where they are now, what they need to strive for, and how to get there.  The NY408 Form 4 (attached to this post).

Our Cadet NCOs, who led PT, were mentored closely and educated by our Leadership Officer, who appropriately was a retired Marine NCO, who was at one time responsible for conditioning the Marines in his Bn who weren't achieving a first class PFT.  He brought in excellent advice on the types of stretches, exercises, and program to administer.

As additional motivation, each year, the squadron commander hands out the Squadron Top Physical Fitness Award to the best performing male and female cadets at our awards banquet.  The last time physical fitness there was just doing the CPFT every once in a while was the week I became DCC.   

Does that mean we don't get cadets who still struggle with working on their own time?  Cadets who just don't bother to work on their own time?  No, it still happens.  But it's well recorded, so it easily reflects come review time for promotions.  And in the case of cadet leadership who fail to meet standards and can't lead "from the front" so to speak, that has cost an earned stripe or two.

Edited to add:  It's a point of pride in our unit that seniors participate in PT.  As a SM Captain in my mid-20's, I managed to snag a 6:39 on my last mile run while I was there, and I was beat by a more senior Captain along with a good handful of cadets.  I've found it motivates cadets and motivates the seniors.  Win-win.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jb3

This is one of those topics that I am extremely passionate about as America has a serious problem with being overweight. It's a byproduct of our success as a nation but that's more of an excuse because other prosperous nations don't have our problem. I travel the world frequently and don't really see truly fat people until I return to the states or in the case of Okinawa where I live now, coming back on base. It's embarrassing actually.

With that said I've taken a different approach to PT night in my new squadron. We do the CPFT, some sort of other activity, and fitness/health type classes. Kids learn from their parents so sometimes they actually don't know that you should drink water rather than soda. I also am luck to have senior members that meet AF grooming standards. It's kind of hard to tell cadets that they can't get promoted because the ran a mile too slow when I promote as SM to MAJ who probably uses the elevator at work to go up one floor rather than walk. There are more discussions about uniform changes than there are ways to fit into AF uniforms.

It's not CAPs responsibilty to get kids in shape just like we don't teach them everything the need to pass their AE or leadership tests. Physical fitness is a personal responsibility that takes DAILY dedication. Even once a week will not produce results if the members go home and eat junk while watching TV. Educate our members and expect the best. The same motivation that makes our program great will push members to put in the extra time at home.

RiverAux

I'm not sure I'd take that 75% unfit to serve stat too seriously.  For one thing, the military only needs a small fraction of the youth at any one point.  The other thing is that if they really need people, believe me they will start up a draft and open some military fat camps and get the kids in shape.  This will extend out the basic training period, of course.

Also, IMHO the military has some downright stupid physical standards and in a real emergency most will be dropped and they will find a useful place to put that guy who has bad hearing in one ear. 

But, back to CAP...most cadets are not overweight though they may not be fit.  However, I'd bet the avg cadet is doing better than others of their age. 

Senior members on the other hand....

Daniel

I love this as I just updated my CPFT waiver, I'm one of 75%! :3
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Daniel L on November 14, 2009, 03:57:29 AM

I'm not sure what you are loving?

Pumbaa

Now that I am on base (JFCOM) I see everyone in shape.  I see Majors, Col's, etc putting on their PT gear and hitting the pavement/ gym.  As I drive onto base I see a few loose formations running along the road.  Many of those running are my age.

Granted my knees do not allow me to run (bone on bone), but I am motivated to drop the weight I've gained in the last 4 years and get back into shape. I'll go back to body weight exercises.

I was benching 250, four years ago, I doubt I could do 100 now!

I was wondering why kids today are not outside, being active.  I remember always out and about playing in someones yard... football, basketball, kickball, swimming at the lake, exploring the woods, every single day.

I was 120 lbs going into my freshman year, 145 when I got married at 25.

Times have changed...

Daniel

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 14, 2009, 04:03:00 PM
Quote from: Daniel L on November 14, 2009, 03:57:29 AM

I'm not sure what you are loving?

That I'm not the only crippled up cadet in CAP
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416