Color Guard for the home games for recruiting

Started by brasda91, October 16, 2009, 08:59:00 AM

brasda91

This is an idea myself and a former member have had for several years, but it has never been put into service.  I'm hoping some of you are currently doing this and can post some helpful points.

We have 4 high schools in the county.  The idea is to pick one school and have the Color Guard present the Colors at all of the home ballgames (basketball, football, baseball, soccer, etc.).  There would also be an information table set up in the concession area for recruiting.

We would begin this next year when all of the cadets have had extensive time practicing Color Guard.  At the beginning of the school year, we would approach the school and discuss the idea with the principal and atheletic director (if there is one) and if they approved, begin with the first home game.  If they aren't interested, we go to the next school.

As stated, I would start with one school, until such time that I have enough cadets that we can provide more than one Color Guard for more than one school at the same time.

Anybody doing this?  Anybody tried this?
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Al Sayre

Our Squadron has been doing it for the last few weeks at schools that don't have an ROTC Program.  So far it hasn't produced any real results, but time will tell.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Rodriguez

Ive been doing this at my high school (being a private school it has no JROTC) for about a year now. We have been doing color guards at the bigger basketball games and such, but in addition since im a junior at the school ive also been having small recruiting meetings. They are held in an open house style format. We announce them on the schools morning news and allow students and parents to come. We provide refreshments and the squadron cadet staff and I give presentations on the various aspects of CAP.

Overall it has produced a steady ammount of cadets into the squadron as well as a few new senior members. The key in my opinion to it all is being very open and informal with potential recruits. Also, It is important to present a profesional attitude and apperance especialy to school administration, who have responded very well to the whole idea.
-C/Capt. Rodriguez, Ranger Staff, 11B Infantryman 53rd Brigade Combat Team FLARNG

lordmonar

I would do it...but would not care about the recruiting aspect of it.

We often think of Color Guards only in the contects of the NCGC and NCC.  If you got a team together why not perform as often as you can manage.

You can also get the word out to any civic organisations that may want a color guard for somethime.  We have gotten several cold call here at Vegas from organisation holding conventions down town who wanted someone to post the colors.

Do it because the cadets would like to show off their Color Guard Skills....not for the potental recruits you will bring.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DC

We haven't done it for local high school games, but there is a lot of JROTC in my area. We have done color guards for Devil Rays games several times, but its about a two hour drive to St. Pete from here, so if anyone decided to join CAP from that, it was probably the local squadron down there.

I think it's a great idea, it might generate some interest, but at the very least it's publicity for your squadron and good practice for your color guard.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: lordmonar on October 16, 2009, 06:19:53 PM
I would do it...but would not care about the recruiting aspect of it.

Ditto.

My squadron (based out of my high school) does it for our football games.  We started doing it initially as practice for our [still] new color guard, as well as a small way of paying our school back for being so good to us (since they really like it at the games).  We don't really get too much out of it recruiting wise, but we're fine with that.  It's great for the cadets!

Rodriguez

I never meant it to be a recruiting drive, however I received soo much interest that I decided to hold an open house at the school. It sort of serves a dual purpose for us. We actually do a uniformed flag detail every morning and afternoon. Which is not too bad for a private school with no form of jrotc. Its also nice to have teachers and administrators who see me and my fellow cadets and compliment us on looking very professional or whatever it may be. I think the only thing about having CAP at a school is that the cadets really have to watch how they act in uniform. Being in school with their friends, it can be very tempting to mess around.
-C/Capt. Rodriguez, Ranger Staff, 11B Infantryman 53rd Brigade Combat Team FLARNG

Airrace