BDU: To wear or not to wear that is the question!

Started by Cap Zapped, July 30, 2009, 10:01:58 PM

Major Carrales

When I first joined CAP I was encouraged to get the BDU uniform first, since it was a field uniform I could use while flying or on a UDF/Ground Team search.  I was luck to find a full set of blues that fit from a thrift shop and an uncle had given me a set of service caps.

Since then the only uniform I have added is a flight suit, over they years I upgraded the sizes of blues shirts.  Still have the same pair of BDUs only bought an extra top from a surplus store and fixed it up in the "CAP Minimalist" style (original set is in the "CAP Maximalist style.") 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 31, 2009, 03:41:52 AM
OK, a Civil Air Patrol sword. What does it have to do with the cockpit?

Hawk, swords are a "no no" in CAP, what you see there is a CAP Letter Opener. ;)

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 31, 2009, 03:47:36 AM

Hawk, swords are a "no no" in CAP, what you see there is a CAP Letter Opener. ;)

I know that, I'm just a bit puzzled about one being talked about in a cockpit.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 31, 2009, 03:56:26 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on July 31, 2009, 03:47:36 AM

I know that, I'm just a bit puzzled about one being talked about in a cockpit.

Mr Spock would simply dismiss it as someone's failed attempt at humor.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Strick on July 31, 2009, 01:55:01 AM
Dude !!!! when you said mess dress I fell out of my seat laughing because I could visualize some SM doing something like that ;D

I had the same mental image......Then again we could argue the "you fight in what you are wearing that the time"  Kinda like the pink "I heart NY" boxers i've seen somewhere.......

RiverAux

We were joking about mess dress, which includes a sword in some services, so I referenced the CAP sword.  Evidently the discussion we had about it went too far back for people to have gotten the joke.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on July 31, 2009, 02:49:57 AMThe key, for those scoring at home, is that military-style regs tell you what you can do/wear/etc.  Rarely do they tell you what you can't.  If is not in the text, you can't do it.

Got to call you on this.

Regulations tell you what you must do, what should do and what you can't do.  Everything else is up to command decision.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on July 31, 2009, 10:28:07 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 31, 2009, 02:49:57 AMThe key, for those scoring at home, is that military-style regs tell you what you can do/wear/etc.  Rarely do they tell you what you can't.  If is not in the text, you can't do it.

Got to call you on this.

Regulations tell you what you must do, what should do and what you can't do.  Everything else is up to command decision.

Unless the reg specifically says something like this, whis a little more restrictive than your general rules.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1COMPLIANCE WITH THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY. Any variation from this publication is not authorized. Items not listed in this publication are not authorized for wear.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on July 31, 2009, 10:28:07 PM

Got to call you on this.

Negative ghostrider - that would allow for a lot of latitude in anything not thought of or in existence when the reg was written.

The tell you what you will do. (i.e. will shall).

Sometimes mention options or loosen the cord a bit. (i.e. my should can).

But rarely do they exclude options unless the target audience is so dense that they repeatedly do something the authority doesn't want to happen.

"That Others May Zoom"

dogboy

Be sure to read the Wing supplement to National uniform regulations. Some Wings require Nomex and leather boots for flight personnel.

RiverAux

QuoteBut rarely do they exclude options unless the target audience is so dense that they repeatedly do something the authority doesn't want to happen.
Such as the long list of prohibited actions in CAP aircraft in 60-1 or situations in which CAP uniforms are prohibited from being worn in 39-1?

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on August 02, 2009, 03:49:19 PM
QuoteBut rarely do they exclude options unless the target audience is so dense that they repeatedly do something the authority doesn't want to happen.
Such as the long list of prohibited actions in CAP aircraft in 60-1 or situations in which CAP uniforms are prohibited from being worn in 39-1?

sadly both

"That Others May Zoom"

Strick

Some wings require NOMEX but SER allows shorts? Can't figure this one out myself.  I was part of a wing in SER and yes it did get hot flying over the gulf coast but in the interest of safety I wear Nomex while flying(except commercially, TSA always stops me when I try to board wearing the flight bag and knee board with survival gear  ;D)  I have seen aircrews wearing BDU'S.   I saw one AC wearing Blue's SS, Polo, and flight suit.   BDU'S .  I would always have at least on set on hand.
[darn]atio memoriae

RiverAux

NB hooted down the proposal to allow shorts while flying if I remember correctly. 

Eclipse

Quote from: Strick on August 02, 2009, 06:05:46 PM
Some wings require NOMEX but SER allows shorts? Can't figure this one out myself.  I was part of a wing in SER and yes it did get hot flying over the gulf coast but in the interest of safety I wear Nomex while flying(except commercially, TSA always stops me when I try to board wearing the flight bag and knee board with survival gear  ;D)  I have seen aircrews wearing BDU'S.   I saw one AC wearing Blue's SS, Polo, and flight suit.   BDU'S .  I would always have at least on set on hand.

NESA MAS and Johnson Flight Academy have uniform waivers for shorts, I believe the NFA does, too.

Frankly, the Nomex requirement if more silly than the shorts.  I'd prefer we just wear our uniform, period, but our members are far more likely to suffer from heat related illness than be saved by a fire retardant garment.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Quote from: RiverAux on July 31, 2009, 03:14:58 AM
Well, that sword would be a bear in the cockpit.   >:D

I remeber seeing pictures of RM mess dress uniforms that incorporated a cape. That might be more appropriate for flying. It works for the Man of Steel. :D :D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

Quote from: olefido on August 02, 2009, 06:41:44 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on July 31, 2009, 03:14:58 AM
Well, that sword would be a bear in the cockpit.   >:D

I remeber seeing pictures of RM mess dress uniforms that incorporated a cape. That might be more appropriate for flying. It works for the Man of Steel. :D :D

To the salad bar, and beyond!

Gentlemen, of course wear a cloak, and ladies wear a cape.

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

Quote from: RiverAux on August 02, 2009, 06:13:15 PM
NB hooted down the proposal to allow shorts while flying if I remember correctly.

Yeah. But SER got a National waiver to allow the crews to fly in the polo and khaki shorts during the "hot months". Ugh, i'm glad i'm in GLR now  ;D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Eclipse on August 02, 2009, 06:59:51 PM
To the salad bar, and beyond!

Gentlemen, of course wear a cloak, and ladies wear a cape.

I had no idea Dracula was a Marine.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Major Carrales

Quote from: SJFedor on August 02, 2009, 07:33:16 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on August 02, 2009, 06:13:15 PM

Yeah. But SER got a National waiver to allow the crews to fly in the polo and khaki shorts during the "hot months". Ugh, i'm glad i'm in GLR now  ;D

Crash in the desert in shorts and your likely be facing issues of cold in the night.  Really, is wearing pants all that "ridiculous?"

Commander
SWR-TX-454