BDU: To wear or not to wear that is the question!

Started by Cap Zapped, July 30, 2009, 10:01:58 PM

Cap Zapped

Hello, everyone! Ok, need to get the official word from  you vets out there, as I am totally new at this, and please don't direct me to ask my fellow senior higher ranks for the answer, as they are unsure as well.  Here is the question: Can you wear the BLUE BDU when you are acting as Scanner, Observer, or even pilot? Or...do you have to wear a flying suit?

Thanks!

BuckeyeDEJ

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

RiverAux

You can wear any CAP uniform unless your Wing or Region has actually mandated something specific (most have not). 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on July 30, 2009, 10:05:06 PM
You can wear any CAP uniform unless your Wing or Region has actually mandated something specific (most have not).

Yep.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Cap Zapped on July 30, 2009, 10:01:58 PM
Hello, everyone! Ok, need to get the official word from  you vets out there, as I am totally new at this, and please don't direct me to ask my fellow senior higher ranks for the answer, as they are unsure as well.  Here is the question: Can you wear the BLUE BDU when you are acting as Scanner, Observer, or even pilot? Or...do you have to wear a flying suit?

Thanks!
Since the answer has been given, I will make a comment on checking with your chain of command before posting here - You did it RIGHT. Too many times someone will ask a question here that is properly addressed to their chain. To those who ask here AFTER checking,  :clap: :clap: :clap: you'll find people are more apt to answer politely.

Thank you.

Gunner C

Mess dress is not recommended.  ;D  A utility type uniform is best - with a flight suit preferred by most.  But yes, you can wear BBDUs.

Strick

Dude !!!! when you said mess dress I fell out of my seat laughing because I could visualize some SM doing something like that ;D
[darn]atio memoriae

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Strick on July 31, 2009, 01:55:01 AM
Dude !!!! when you said mess dress I fell out of my seat laughing because I could visualize some SM doing something like that ;D

There's gotta be an after-five air sortie!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DC

If you can, I would recommend getting a flight bag, they are a lot more comfortable than BDUs for those long sorties... They can get a little warm though, if that is a major consideration.

Just my $0.02...

Eclipse

Dude !!!! when you said mess dress I fell out of my seat laughing because I could visualize some SM doing something like that.

its not really that far-fetched, what about a dining out or similar on an airport?

I could see a few commanders from 1/2 a state away jumping in a CAP plane in mess dress or service dress.

It only says a uniform, nothing more (except in CAWG).

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Quote from: Eclipse on July 31, 2009, 02:05:51 AM
Dude !!!! when you said mess dress I fell out of my seat laughing because I could visualize some SM doing something like that.

its not really that far-fetched, what about a dining out or similar on an airport?

I could see a few commanders from 1/2 a state away jumping in a CAP plane in mess dress or service dress.

That's flying in style!

And discomfort!

Eclipse

Quote from: DC on July 31, 2009, 02:05:43 AM
If you can, I would recommend getting a flight bag, they are a lot more comfortable than BDUs for those long sorties... They can get a little warm though, if that is a major consideration.

Just my $0.02...

Or a utility - looks the same, works the same, much cooler in the summer, and costs about 1/4 what a new Nomex costs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: DC on July 31, 2009, 02:07:02 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 31, 2009, 02:05:51 AM

That's flying in style!

And discomfort!

Heh - nothing like turning $50 worth of mini medals into FOD with the seatbelt!  ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Is anyone but me worried that the original poster's squadron leadership wasn't able to answer this simple question?  If this is a non-flying unit, I suppose that would be ok.  But, if this is a flying unit, just about anyone should have known this.  Its not like its some obscure requirement in the supply regulations. 

Eclipse

Yeah, it flew through my mind, but you and I know this is typical.

Commanders can't be bothered to read the regs, instead relying on rumor and hearsay and WIWAC.

Members, poorly trained, who can't be bothered to read them either in an effort to answer their own questions, or support their interpretations.

And the worst - misinformed members, or members with a hidden bias against one uniform or another who simply make things up out of "whole cloth" (pun intended), and then get hyper-defensive when they are called out.

Another place a centralized basic training would be a good idea - kill this stuff before it starts.

The key, for those scoring at home, is that military-style regs tell you what you can do/wear/etc.  Rarely do they tell you what you can't.  If is not in the text, you can't do it.

And anyone arguing with the text needs to have a supplement, ICL, or similar in hand to make the respective argument.

Arguing our regulations are "too complicated" doesn't fly, because the most basic components and wear of CAP uniforms hasn't really changed much in a decade, and nothing worth mentioning has changed in at nearly two years.

And belay the comments here about expiring ICLS - yes, they do expire, and no its not relevant.

"That Others May Zoom"

Thom

Quote from: RiverAux on July 31, 2009, 02:43:45 AM
Is anyone but me worried that the original poster's squadron leadership wasn't able to answer this simple question?  If this is a non-flying unit, I suppose that would be ok.  But, if this is a flying unit, just about anyone should have known this.  Its not like its some obscure requirement in the supply regulations.
Yeah, I was sort of hoping that his unit had no other flyers, and he was headed off to an exercise or school somewhere far removed, otherwise...you'd hope a question that simple would be easily answered.  For that matter, if I didn't know I bet, you know what

wait one...

I'm back.  As I supposed, less than one minute and I had the answer from the CAP Knowledgebase.  Searched on UNIFORMS and FLYING.  Sixth answer down had it.

BTW, that answer also noted that CAPM39-1 authorizes the following for flying:

QuoteTable 1-1. Wearing the Uniform

Members may wear the uniform:
flying in CAP aircraft (corporate and member-owned aircraft used in CAP flight activity). The service uniform, BDUs, utility uniform, field uniform, CAP or AF style flight suit, CAP blazer, aviator shirt, or knit shirt uniform combinations are all authorized. The wing commander, or designee, will prescribe the type clothing to be worn by members while flying or engaging in organized recreational activities. The region commander will prescribe wear policy for members of the region headquarters.

Note the complete lack of MESS DRESS in that list!  I guess somebody thought about it, and decided that wouldn't work so well.

Thom Hamilton

RiverAux

Well, that sword would be a bear in the cockpit.   >:D

Hawk200

Hawk200

OK, a Civil Air Patrol sword. What does it have to do with the cockpit?

Major Carrales

When I first joined CAP I was encouraged to get the BDU uniform first, since it was a field uniform I could use while flying or on a UDF/Ground Team search.  I was luck to find a full set of blues that fit from a thrift shop and an uncle had given me a set of service caps.

Since then the only uniform I have added is a flight suit, over they years I upgraded the sizes of blues shirts.  Still have the same pair of BDUs only bought an extra top from a surplus store and fixed it up in the "CAP Minimalist" style (original set is in the "CAP Maximalist style.") 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 31, 2009, 03:41:52 AM

Hawk, swords are a "no no" in CAP, what you see there is a CAP Letter Opener. ;)

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 31, 2009, 03:47:36 AM

Hawk, swords are a "no no" in CAP, what you see there is a CAP Letter Opener. ;)

I know that, I'm just a bit puzzled about one being talked about in a cockpit.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 31, 2009, 03:56:26 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on July 31, 2009, 03:47:36 AM

I know that, I'm just a bit puzzled about one being talked about in a cockpit.

Mr Spock would simply dismiss it as someone's failed attempt at humor.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

CadetProgramGuy

I had the same mental image......Then again we could argue the "you fight in what you are wearing that the time"  Kinda like the pink "I heart NY" boxers i've seen somewhere.......

RiverAux

We were joking about mess dress, which includes a sword in some services, so I referenced the CAP sword.  Evidently the discussion we had about it went too far back for people to have gotten the joke.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on July 31, 2009, 02:49:57 AMThe key, for those scoring at home, is that military-style regs tell you what you can do/wear/etc.  Rarely do they tell you what you can't.  If is not in the text, you can't do it.

Got to call you on this.

Regulations tell you what you must do, what should do and what you can't do.  Everything else is up to command decision.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on July 31, 2009, 10:28:07 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 31, 2009, 02:49:57 AMThe key, for those scoring at home, is that military-style regs tell you what you can do/wear/etc.  Rarely do they tell you what you can't.  If is not in the text, you can't do it.

Got to call you on this.

Regulations tell you what you must do, what should do and what you can't do.  Everything else is up to command decision.

Unless the reg specifically says something like this, whis a little more restrictive than your general rules.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1COMPLIANCE WITH THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY. Any variation from this publication is not authorized. Items not listed in this publication are not authorized for wear.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on July 31, 2009, 10:28:07 PM

Got to call you on this.

Negative ghostrider - that would allow for a lot of latitude in anything not thought of or in existence when the reg was written.

The tell you what you will do. (i.e. will shall).

Sometimes mention options or loosen the cord a bit. (i.e. my should can).

But rarely do they exclude options unless the target audience is so dense that they repeatedly do something the authority doesn't want to happen.

"That Others May Zoom"

dogboy

Be sure to read the Wing supplement to National uniform regulations. Some Wings require Nomex and leather boots for flight personnel.

RiverAux

QuoteBut rarely do they exclude options unless the target audience is so dense that they repeatedly do something the authority doesn't want to happen.
Such as the long list of prohibited actions in CAP aircraft in 60-1 or situations in which CAP uniforms are prohibited from being worn in 39-1?

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on August 02, 2009, 03:49:19 PM
QuoteBut rarely do they exclude options unless the target audience is so dense that they repeatedly do something the authority doesn't want to happen.
Such as the long list of prohibited actions in CAP aircraft in 60-1 or situations in which CAP uniforms are prohibited from being worn in 39-1?

sadly both

"That Others May Zoom"

Strick

Some wings require NOMEX but SER allows shorts? Can't figure this one out myself.  I was part of a wing in SER and yes it did get hot flying over the gulf coast but in the interest of safety I wear Nomex while flying(except commercially, TSA always stops me when I try to board wearing the flight bag and knee board with survival gear  ;D)  I have seen aircrews wearing BDU'S.   I saw one AC wearing Blue's SS, Polo, and flight suit.   BDU'S .  I would always have at least on set on hand.
[darn]atio memoriae

RiverAux

NB hooted down the proposal to allow shorts while flying if I remember correctly. 

Eclipse

Quote from: Strick on August 02, 2009, 06:05:46 PM
Some wings require NOMEX but SER allows shorts? Can't figure this one out myself.  I was part of a wing in SER and yes it did get hot flying over the gulf coast but in the interest of safety I wear Nomex while flying(except commercially, TSA always stops me when I try to board wearing the flight bag and knee board with survival gear  ;D)  I have seen aircrews wearing BDU'S.   I saw one AC wearing Blue's SS, Polo, and flight suit.   BDU'S .  I would always have at least on set on hand.

NESA MAS and Johnson Flight Academy have uniform waivers for shorts, I believe the NFA does, too.

Frankly, the Nomex requirement if more silly than the shorts.  I'd prefer we just wear our uniform, period, but our members are far more likely to suffer from heat related illness than be saved by a fire retardant garment.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Quote from: RiverAux on July 31, 2009, 03:14:58 AM

I remeber seeing pictures of RM mess dress uniforms that incorporated a cape. That might be more appropriate for flying. It works for the Man of Steel. :D :D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

Quote from: olefido on August 02, 2009, 06:41:44 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on July 31, 2009, 03:14:58 AM

I remeber seeing pictures of RM mess dress uniforms that incorporated a cape. That might be more appropriate for flying. It works for the Man of Steel. :D :D

To the salad bar, and beyond!

Gentlemen, of course wear a cloak, and ladies wear a cape.

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

Quote from: RiverAux on August 02, 2009, 06:13:15 PM
NB hooted down the proposal to allow shorts while flying if I remember correctly.

Yeah. But SER got a National waiver to allow the crews to fly in the polo and khaki shorts during the "hot months". Ugh, i'm glad i'm in GLR now  ;D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Eclipse on August 02, 2009, 06:59:51 PM
To the salad bar, and beyond!

Gentlemen, of course wear a cloak, and ladies wear a cape.

I had no idea Dracula was a Marine.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Major Carrales

Quote from: SJFedor on August 02, 2009, 07:33:16 PM

Yeah. But SER got a National waiver to allow the crews to fly in the polo and khaki shorts during the "hot months". Ugh, i'm glad i'm in GLR now  ;D

Crash in the desert in shorts and your likely be facing issues of cold in the night.  Really, is wearing pants all that "ridiculous?"

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Some wings require NOMEX but SER allows shorts?
Are you sure?  They don't list any supplement to this effect on their web page. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on August 03, 2009, 12:48:50 AM
Some wings require NOMEX but SER allows shorts?
Are you sure?  They don't list any supplement to this effect on their web page.

The Wing-level 60-1 supplements all went ((*poof*)) when the new rev was released, which has led me to wonder how Wings are enforcing things like Nomex when they don't have an enforceable supplement.

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

Quote from: Eclipse on August 03, 2009, 12:59:52 AM
The Wing-level 60-1 supplements all went ((*poof*)) when the new rev was released, which has led me to wonder how Wings are enforcing things like Nomex when they don't have an enforceable supplement.

This may come across as cynical, but it's really just an acknowledgment of fact...

Expired supplements are enforced the same way expired ICLs are; everyone just ignores the expiration.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

RiverAux

I was talking about the SER supplement mentioned earlier.  Besides, why would it have been in a supplement to 60-1 when it is a uniform item?

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on August 03, 2009, 03:09:53 AM
I was talking about the SER supplement mentioned earlier.  Besides, why would it have been in a supplement to 60-1 when it is a uniform item?

Fire resistance isn't a uniform issue, it's a safety issue. Therefore the safety pub references it. It's actually pretty logical.

RiverAux

Hmm, then why are NOMEX uniforms in 39-1?  Wouldn't the logical place to put an approval for a new uniform be in the uniform regulation?  Wouldn't that be where most people would look for such a thing? 

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on August 03, 2009, 03:41:28 AM
Hmm, then why are NOMEX uniforms in 39-1?  Wouldn't the logical place to put an approval for a new uniform be in the uniform regulation?  Wouldn't that be where most people would look for such a thing?

Uniform configurations are regulated in Civil Air Patrol Manual 39-1. The flightsuit is a uniform hence it's configuration is listed in the uniform manual.

The flight suit happens to be made out of NOMEX, a fire resistant material.  Fire resistant materials are being required as a safety issue. Therefore, the safety reg is supplemented to require the uniform that happens have fire resistant properties.

CAPM 39-1 is a manual that deals with appearance. CAPR 60-1 deals with operations. One tells you how to wear something, the other tells you when to wear it. Make sense?

O-Rex

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 03, 2009, 12:18:41 AM

Crash in the desert in shorts and your likely be facing issues of cold in the night.  Really, is wearing pants all that "ridiculous?"

b/t/w, Florida Wing chose NOT to adopt the shorts.

Angus

Quote from: Gunner C on July 30, 2009, 11:49:57 PM

Mess dress is not recommended.  ;D  A utility type uniform is best - with a flight suit preferred by most.  But yes, you can wear BBDUs.

I did wear my mess dress once, I even jumped out of the plane on the same mission. Only issue the secretary disavowed my participation in that mission.   ;)
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Gunner C

Quote from: O-Rex on August 03, 2009, 04:33:28 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Strick

Quote from: O-Rex on August 03, 2009, 04:33:28 AM

AMEN
[darn]atio memoriae

RiverAux

Hmm, if the shorts are in an regional supplement to 60-1, then it should be on the NHQ 60-1 supplement web page.  Nothing there. 

MikeD

I have a couple pairs of these "convertable" pants, the legs unzip and it turns into shorts. 

That said, for CAP and work, I wear Nomex for flying even when it's over 110 (F) out.   :angel:

Eclipse

Quote from: MikeD on August 10, 2009, 02:04:38 AM
That said, for CAP and work, I wear Nomex for flying even when it's over 110 (F) out.

I don't get what all the fuss is about Nomex in the Summer the Nomex flightsuits I've owned were all
paper thin and fine in hot weather.

I have to assume that there are different weights and maybe the more "frugal" of us can't be bothered to shop correctly?

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on August 10, 2009, 03:22:40 AMI don't get what all the fuss is about Nomex in the Summer the Nomex flightsuits I've owned were all
paper thin and fine in hot weather.

I have to assume that there are different weights and maybe the more "frugal" of us can't be bothered to shop correctly?

I've noticed in the last couple of years that the material in the latest ones are a bit thicker. They don't breathe as well.

Al Sayre

Ya'll can hate on our shorts all you want, but the reality is that heat stress is a much more likely danger than fire, and we have to do something to help reduce that danger. 

I flew a 4 hour mission last week (in shorts).  It was 91 degrees and 90% humidity when we departed at 0900, and around 100 on the ramp when we stopped for lunch.  I consumed 3 liters of water during the flight(s), and when I got back home and stepped on the scale before I took a shower, found that I weighed 6 lbs less than when I started.  That means I sweated out somewhere near 2 gallons of water during that time. 

There isn't much cooling at 1000 feet over the MS delta, every little bit helps...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787