Tips on how to iron bdu;s.

Started by Hoorah, April 19, 2009, 09:45:33 PM

Hoorah

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Place BDU on flat surface, like an ironing board. Place hot part of iron on BDU move over surface until wrinkles are gone.

notaNCO forever

Quote from: phirons on April 19, 2009, 10:24:35 PM
Place BDU on flat surface, like an ironing board. Place hot part of iron on BDU move over surface until wrinkles are gone.

and use steam.

Gunner C

Rob Sherlin

??? :-\ ;D :clap:  Can't be any more simple than that! I use a steamer..but, that's the easiest if you don't have one.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

Spike

* Don't set the iron on the hottest setting!

* If you starch, test a small inconspicuous section with the starch first, to make sure it is OK to work with.

* Take your time.

* Ask someone to show you how to work an iron, ironing board and starch IF YOU HAVE NEVER USED THEM BEFORE!!!

* Do not iron directly over the plastic buttons.  They will leave marks on the material that was on top of the button.

* Use the same starch on both the pants and shirt, or it may fade them at different rates.   

biomed441

Also, if you use starch, don't use too much or it flakes off and looks like you had 1 too many glazed donuts on the way to wherever.  Usually what I do is turn my BDU's inside out, and apply a light amount of starch on the inside then turn it rightside out and hang it up.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Captainbob441 on April 20, 2009, 10:22:48 AM
Also, if you use starch, don't use too much or it flakes off and looks like you had 1 too many glazed donuts on the way to wherever.  Usually what I do is turn my BDU's inside out, and apply a light amount of starch on the inside then turn it rightside out and hang it up.

Too much heat on the iron causes the flaking issue.   I have soaked my BDU's in a tub of water/starch, hung to dry, ironed with steam and not have had a flaking issue.

JayT

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on April 19, 2009, 09:45:33 PM
Tips on how to iron bdu's.

Put them on an ironing board.

Make sure the iron has water in it.

turn the iron on to about 75% of it's max power.

Glently glide it over the BDU's.

Starch, hairspray, all that junk just makes the material wear out faster, and isn't needed.

Also, it's considered good manners to reply to threads you've started, not just post a half question and never look at it again.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

O-Rex

HAIRSPRAY??

That's one I haven't heard of...

I do know that hairspray works for inserting pages into military checklist binders-prevents the ink from sticking to the plastic when you remove it.

Ironing BDUs-JThemann is spot-on: don't make it any more complicated than it has to be.

♠SARKID♠

Iron your BDUs from the inside so starch doesn't show.  Also, using proper grammar is rumored to help smooth wrinkles.

IceNine

I like to put a piece of cardboard in between those pesky buttons and the pocket flaps to prevent the "skoal" rings that they create.

I also cut that extra button off of the top again to prevent those rings.

Make sure to iron the pockets in layers.  Pull them up an iron the expansion sides first, then on top to crease them down flat.

When folding the collar make the crease ABOVE the button channel and even on both sides.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Spike

Cadet Williams.......I just saw a post of yours from last year.  Are you JUST NOW getting around to ironing your uniform???

IceNine

Quote from: Spike on April 20, 2009, 04:38:12 PM
Cadet Williams.......I just saw a post of yours from last year.  Are you JUST NOW getting around to ironing your uniform???

All things in due time.  I've had this uniform to iron, and all these threads on CT that I need to respond to.  I'll get
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Cecil DP

If you live near a base take it to the Cleaners (usually in the Exchange area) cost $4, they know how to starch and press BDU's. If not take it to the nearest Laundry
(Not Dry Cleaners). Ask if they can starch and press them. If not find another one. Generally you can get them back in one day.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Hoorah

Quote from: Spike on April 20, 2009, 04:38:12 PM
No spike i am  just not getting around to it just needs to be ironed thats all spike.

Hoorah

Quote from: JThemann on April 20, 2009, 01:54:49 PM
Quote from: capcadetwilliams on April 19, 2009, 09:45:33 PM
Tips on how to iron bdu's.

Put them on an ironing board.

Make sure the iron has water in it.

turn the iron on to about 75% of it's max power.

Glently glide it over the BDU's.

Starch, hairspray, all that junk just makes the material wear out faster, and isn't needed.

Also, it's considered good manners to reply to threads you've started, not just post a half question and never look at it again.
srrry everone for not getting back i have been busy with our unit and suggestions for cac etc.

heliodoc

SAWEEEEET

More issue on starching BDU's

A good iron .........STEAM and $4.00 still in your pocket

But make sure when you are starching....make sure it's sharp enough to cut yourself on

Never starched BDU's in all 21yrsa in the Army

Time management cadets, time management, even the Army is slinking AWAY from starching

Do what you may!!

heliodoc

Oh and while your getting set up to iron

Get a risk assessment matrix on that job