Main Menu

Blue Beret Patch

Started by Stonewall, April 13, 2009, 03:17:46 PM

Always Ready

Quote from: alamrcn on April 13, 2009, 11:24:05 PM

I like this patch. I would be more inclined to wear this patch than the '8-ball'. It's a whole lot better than the '8-ball' patch IMHO. It looks more professional, more in line with the Air Force. The '8-ball' patch looks more like a moral patch.

For the record-Never been to NBB, anti-beret, anti-cartoonish patches (except for moral patches), pro-reduction of patches & bling.

isuhawkeye

I have always liked this patch as well.  Its amazing how much the program struggled when the Beret's were taken away from Oshkosh.

MIKE

Quote from: isuhawkeye on April 14, 2009, 11:41:13 AM
Its amazing how much the program struggled when the Beret's were taken away from Oshkosh.

Not really.
Mike Johnston

swamprat86

The NJ Wing GSAR school from 85-86 qualified for the NEAT qualification as well.  I wore mine until about 5 years ago when I was worried I wouldn't be able to get anymore of them as I replaced my uniforms.

PlaneFlyr

NEAT patch:
Earned for attending any of the following Ranger schools: Hawk Mountain Pennsylvania, Everglades Florida, Black River Mississippi, or Puerto Rico, or the Washington Wing Challenger School.

I still wear the 2nd variety on my BDUs (the version without "NEAT" over the top). 
Lt Col Todd Engelman, CAP
Historian
President of the Medal of Valor Association

PlaneFlyr

Quote from: swamprat86 on April 14, 2009, 01:32:55 PM
The NJ Wing GSAR school from 85-86 qualified for the NEAT qualification as well.  I wore mine until about 5 years ago when I was worried I wouldn't be able to get anymore of them as I replaced my uniforms.

Oops.  Left that one out.  The reference I was looking in was from 1985 and didn't list NJ GSAR. 
Lt Col Todd Engelman, CAP
Historian
President of the Medal of Valor Association

cnitas

Quote from: MIKE on April 14, 2009, 12:49:13 PM
Quote from: isuhawkeye on April 14, 2009, 11:41:13 AM
Its amazing how much the program struggled when the Beret's were taken away from Oshkosh.

Not really.

Perhaps forcing cadets to wear the smurf suit played a role?? 
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

isuhawkeye

very true.  I forgot that the UOD was the smirf suit

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on April 13, 2009, 04:02:51 PM
Quote from: MIKE on April 13, 2009, 04:00:44 PM
Probably the USAFA blue beanie.

Yes.  I knew I had seen it before.  I saw the USAFA guys at Lackland last year and their berets were more blue than ours.

Personally, I think that's the one that our folks should be wearing. Don't care for the dark blue one, little too close to Air Force for my taste.

As to the patch, I could go either way on it. It's a piece of history, but on the other hand could stand some updating.

caprr275

2 comments, The first is that I still proudly wear my beret that I earned as a cadet every time I am in BDUs. The second is that the 8 ball patch looks good when it was on the shoulder it looks like utter crap on the pocket. 

SarDragon

Quote from: caprr275 on April 15, 2009, 02:18:15 AM
2 comments, The first is that I still proudly wear my beret that I earned as a cadet every time I am in BDUs. The second is that the 8 ball patch looks good when it was on the shoulder it looks like utter crap on the pocket. 

How about some better punctuation to make some sense out of the second sentence.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

caprr275

The second is that the 8 ball patch looks good when it was on the shoulder, however, it looks like utter crap on the pocket.

Pick on the guy with the learning disability  ;)

PHall

Quote from: caprr275 on April 16, 2009, 02:18:34 AM
The second is that the 8 ball patch looks good when it was on the shoulder, however, it looks like utter crap on the pocket.

Pick on the guy with the learning disability  ;)

Why not, we pick on everybody else. We're not supposed to discriminate!

caprr275

hahahah you just made my day  :clap:

cpyahoo

Wow!  And the debate STILL rages on over this stuff!!!  The whole deal with the Eight Ball patch stemmed back to the North Central Region Days (ending in 1984).  The patch was indeed a pocket patch!  Blue Beret was one of the "big 4" for NEAT.  The others were Hawk Mountain, Washington Challengers and Missouri Pathfinder Technical School.  I still wear my beret I earned at (the real) Blue Beret in 1986 along with my NEAT patch on my BDUs.  Served as cadet staff in 1987 & 1988.  Was senior staff in 1989 and at NBB in 1999.
     Having spent a fair amount of time in the USAF Security Police (now Security Forces), my view of the shade of blue for the beret has changed.  I'm more in favor of the USAFA royal blue.  It looks sharp and you can actually tell its BLUE!  And... no confusion with USAF Security Forces.  To me, it's a win/win.
     The REAL story of the St. Alban's cross and why that is the NBB beret crest (NOT a "cadre pin").  Everyone knows the heraldry.  What many don't know was Gen. Cass is a direct descendant of St. Alban. Gen. Cass admitted himself that was the major reason for the St. Alban's cross.  Not sure exactly when they started wearing the crest that Gen. Cass created.  It was before I went.  I suspect sometime around 1980 or 1981.  He also was not a fan of the military style berets.  He wanted to stick with the french berets!   
     The current Eight Ball looks kinda hokey to me and I flat refuse to wear it.  I'll give props to the fact it hales to the history of the program, but looks cartoonish.  I'm also in favor of CAP developing a solid metal beret crest to replace the St. Alban's cross.  Something in nature with the USAF PJ, CCT, TACP or SERE crest.  Well, not EXACTLY like them, but along those lines.  That's my 2 cents from someone who had a front row seat in the whole deal.

Sapper168

Quote from: cpyahoo on January 18, 2012, 10:45:23 PM
...........  I'm also in favor of CAP developing a solid metal beret crest to replace the St. Alban's cross.  Something in nature with the USAF PJ, CCT, TACP or SERE crest.  Well, not EXACTLY like them, but along those lines.  That's my 2 cents from someone who had a front row seat in the whole deal.

In this case i think that it could be done by NBB itself.  The crest then issued with the berets.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

cpyahoo

Ground_Pounder, I'm just showing my age now!  LOL  That was "a million years ago".  Truth be told, I think they shouldn't be giving the beret anymore at Oshkosh.  It's nothing like what it used to be!  I had a past activity commander tell me that the whole reason they started five the berets (again) in 1995 was to raise the attendance numbers.  He said that was directed by National Hq.  Knowing the politics of the day, it doesn't surprise me.