Off goes the FLWG patch!!!

Started by Stonewall, April 12, 2009, 10:06:28 PM

Rob Sherlin

In joining CAP, which is supposed to be "non-profit", and we have to buy our own stuff. ...The stuff we have to get is VERY expensive through our approved vendors!!! Anyone have to buy a CAP binder lately? I think it was like $36.00!...FOR A NOTEBOOK!...What are new patches going to cost?
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

RogueLeader

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on April 13, 2009, 03:23:26 PM
In joining CAP, which is supposed to be "non-profit", and we have to buy our own stuff. ...The stuff we have to get is VERY expensive through our approved vendors!!! Anyone have to buy a CAP binder lately? I think it was like $36.00!...FOR A NOTEBOOK!...What are new patches going to cost?

Just because CAP is Non-profit, that doesn't mean that the vendor isn't.  Let me know when CAP turns a profit, I want a cut.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

davidsinn

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 13, 2009, 04:13:23 PM
Quote from: Rob Sherlin on April 13, 2009, 03:23:26 PM

Just because CAP is Non-profit, that doesn't mean that the vendor isn't.  Let me know when CAP turns a profit, I want a cut.

They get money from vanguard on every CAP item sold. That's why the C&D letters fly everywhere.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Stonewall on April 13, 2009, 01:28:36 PM
Quote from: O-Rex on April 13, 2009, 12:33:13 PM
There's an updated version of the Gator patch that was never approved: it's a bit more menacing looking (looks more like the croc from Disney's 'Peter Pan') and sits curled around a first aid case.

Thank God it wasn't approved. The last thing I'd want is a pissed-off looking alligator wrapped around a first-aid box I needed. Or, if it was so protective of that gear that I couldn't use it if I needed it. Besides that, the type's all skewed and the red border's too thick.

The original design was just fine. Over the years, the embroiders destroyed it. They probably only had the previous-generation patch to look at, not the original emblem.

I'm thinking now I'll redraw and clean up the original emblem and put it on a shield, if for no other reason to entertain CAPTalkers. (I did Ohio Wing's in a shield while I was there, to show it could be done.) Of course, I'll have to do it between feedings of our new baby, so it might take a while.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Stonewall

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on April 13, 2009, 05:05:36 PMOf course, I'll have to do it between feedings of our new baby, so it might take a while.

Congrats, brother.  Welcome to my world!  >:D  8 month old and a 2 1/2 year old. 
Serving since 1987.

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Stonewall on April 13, 2009, 05:08:12 PM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on April 13, 2009, 05:05:36 PMOf course, I'll have to do it between feedings of our new baby, so it might take a while.

Congrats, brother.  Welcome to my world!  >:D  8 month old and a 2 1/2 year old. 

Thanks! Not quite six weeks for our little girl.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

O-Rex

Quote from: JoeTomasone on April 13, 2009, 03:08:47 PM
Quote from: alamrcn on April 13, 2009, 02:35:10 PM
Does anyone have the official change letter from the Florida Wing Commander? Not an e-mail, but a PDF or similar document? I'd like a copy, if a link can be posted or one can be e-mailed.

Doesn't appear to be on the Wing site, but I expect it may take a day or two.

Can someone cut & paste the announcement?

O-Rex

Quote from: O-Rex on April 13, 2009, 12:33:13 PMThing is, now the American Flag Patch on the left side looks even more out of place. . . .

You mean right side.  Right?

Yeah.

Wishful thinking?

You can get 2 X 3 left-shoulder American Flag patches at Wal-mart for two bucks. . .

alamrcn

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on April 13, 2009, 02:43:22 PMI would kind of like to see everyone with that patch (the seal with the name of the state above, like it is)

Tony, is that you?!!!   :o
That's exactly who had that global-organizational idea.

The original Zack Mosley aligator patch was officially authorized on October 14, 1953. However, there was no doubt earlier usage with hand-sewn patches and maybe even painted canvas or leather patches.

I've been trying for awhile to nail down dates for the START of use of the current "seal" patch, and the PHASE OUT of the old gator patch. Wish I had been more vigilant when it happened... sometime back around '97-ish maybe?

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

JoeTomasone

Quote from: O-Rex on April 13, 2009, 06:39:53 PM

I was about to, but then noticed that it was marked FOUO.   ::)

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: JoeTomasone on April 13, 2009, 08:17:29 PM
Quote from: O-Rex on April 13, 2009, 06:39:53 PM
I was about to, but then noticed that it was marked FOUO.   ::)

Side note: Why does "FOUO" sound like pig latin?

Hookedonlemons

I'd be in favor for moving the squadron patch up to the now patchless arm that way we can keep the acitivities patches on the chest.
I wonder what events lead up to this...

alamrcn

/\ that's fine, but stay on topic please - a certain mod would love to kill another patch thread...

I did just find this tid bit all of a sudden, and in my own archives no less!
http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/library/minutes/nec0011.pdf

Quote from: NEC meeting, 3-4 November 2000
d. ITEM: Florida Wing Patch
GEN BOBICK briefed that the Florida Wing requested to change its patch to the CAP shield with the word Florida surrounding it. He reminded that approval authority for changing a wing patch rests with the region commander—not the NEC.

Curious... Do you think that Florida Wing, and later Southeast Region, should have had the NEC's permission (or at least a thumbs up) to use the corporate seal for the shoulder patch?

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

JoeTomasone

Quote from: alamrcn on April 13, 2009, 09:01:02 PM
Curious... Do you think that Florida Wing, and later Southeast Region, should have had the NEC's permission (or at least a thumbs up) to use the corporate seal for the shoulder patch?

It is required IAW CAPR 900-2, so presumably they got it.

BuckeyeDEJ

I've heard that the seal-with-tab Florida Wing emblem was a prototype -- and, if successful, the "new" emblem would be used in every wing (with a different tab, of course).

Word is that this was the brainchild of HWSRN.

My beef: Why should we duplicate, and/or reinvent the wheel? Florida already had an emblem, which was slowly becoming a green blob on a gold circle, thanks to several reproductions, each one a close representation of the last. The gator, if it's cleaned up, would be just fine. So would a more accurate Wright Flyer in Ohio, and so would a few others. It might also negate the impulse of someone to reinvent the wheel (such as the Pennsylvania Wing shield, which apes an American flag and an airplane).

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Stonewall on April 13, 2009, 01:28:36 PM
Quote from: O-Rex on April 13, 2009, 12:33:13 PM
There's an updated version of the Gator patch that was never approved: it's a bit more menacing looking (looks more like the croc from Disney's 'Peter Pan') and sits curled around a first aid case.

Quote from: O-Rex on April 13, 2009, 12:33:13 PMThing is, now the American Flag Patch on the left side looks even more out of place. . . .

You mean right side.  Right?

Menacing?  Please!  The gator looks like he's taking a dump!   ;)
Another former CAP officer

Gunner C

;D ;D ;D

Someone look to see if there's an alarm clock in there.  >:D

Cecil DP

That looks like the gator that was guarding the 2nd green at NAS Jax last week-sans the first aid kit.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

flyguy06

Just curious why do you hate wearing the wing patch on BDU's? But you dont mind wearing all those other colorful patches?

Hookedonlemons

Quote from: flyguy06 on April 14, 2009, 05:33:14 AM
Just curious why do you hate wearing the wing patch on BDU's? But you dont mind wearing all those other colorful patches?
I would also like to hear that answer aswell...