Main Menu

Level Completion

Started by stratoflyer, February 02, 2009, 05:49:24 AM

stratoflyer

What is the recommended rate of progression through the professional development levels? Or we just do it a few months before we're eligible for promotion.

For example, there's a CLC coming up and a Wing conference just passed. With some other stuff I could've completed Level 3. And still get the ribbon. Yet I wouldn't get promoted for years. So how should senior members be encouraged to go about professional development?
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

Pylon

Professional Development doesn't hurt to have done early.  If anything, it helps you learn little bits and pieces about how to do your job at CAP better, how to better help your squadron and are great networking events in and of themselves.  Plus, Wing and Region Conferences are more than a checkbox for Professional Development.  They're great fun, awesome networking and there are even some helpful seminars from time to time.

For example, I only need RSC or SOS to complete my Level IV and I may attend RSC this summer.  Will I be promoting to Lt Col anytime soon?  Nope.  But RSC will still teach me a lot that I can apply now.  I don't need to be a Lt Col to apply the lessons learned, leverage the connections made and also show my dedication to the organization.

If I get any professional development opportunity and nothing's blocking me, I always take advantage of it.  For my own benefit and for my squadron's benefit.  Even if I don't "need it" for an upcoming promotion. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SJFedor

You won't be able to pass through certain levels due to grade restrictions in the higher up levels (RSC and NSC both have grade requirements last I heard, as well as SOS, ACSC and AWC)

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Pylon

Quote from: SJFedor on February 02, 2009, 06:03:03 AM
You won't be able to pass through certain levels due to grade restrictions in the higher up levels (RSC and NSC both have grade requirements last I heard, as well as SOS, ACSC and AWC)

True.  But SLS, CLC, UCC, TLC, AFIADL-13 and RSC as well as a variety of other courses don't have any minimum grade requirements -- that's quite a bit you can knock out of the way.

For SOS you need to be a Captain to register.   NSC and ACSC you need to be a Major and AWC a Lt Col.

SJFedor

Quote from: Pylon on February 02, 2009, 06:42:28 AM

True.  But SLS, CLC, UCC, TLC, AFIADL-13 and RSC as well as a variety of other courses don't have any minimum grade requirements -- that's quite a bit you can knock out of the way.

For SOS you need to be a Captain to register.   NSC and ACSC you need to be a Major and AWC a Lt Col.

Hm. Thought RSC had a grade requirement with it as well. Oh well.

You should still be able to plow through most of it. Progress at whatever tempo you're motivated to progress at. Just as long as you are progressing.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

davedove

Quote from: SJFedor on February 02, 2009, 07:27:40 AM
Quote from: Pylon on February 02, 2009, 06:42:28 AM

Hm. Thought RSC had a grade requirement with it as well. Oh well.

You should still be able to plow through most of it. Progress at whatever tempo you're motivated to progress at. Just as long as you are progressing.

No, the only requirement for RSC is completion of Level III.

If the people are only completing the requirements to get the promotion, its obvious they're interested in the bling.  Remind them of the ribbons they will earn by completing the levels. ;D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

RogueLeader

Quote from: davedove on February 02, 2009, 12:33:16 PM

No, the only requirement for RSC is completion of Level III.

If the people are only completing the requirements to get the promotion, its obvious they're interested in the bling.  Remind them of the ribbons they will earn by completing the levels. ;D

You beat me to it.

+1
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

If there is a PD class that is being held close to you that you haven't taken yet, I'd recommend doing so even if you don't need it for a while.  That way you won't have to worry about trying to fit it in at a future day when your personal schedule may or may not have room for such things. 

stratoflyer

QuoteIf there is a PD class that is being held close to you that you haven't taken yet, I'd recommend doing so even if you don't need it for a while.  That way you won't have to worry about trying to fit it in at a future day when your personal schedule may or may not have room for such things.

I think that would be the biggest argument to having things done early.

QuoteIf I get any professional development opportunity and nothing's blocking me, I always take advantage of it.  For my own benefit and for my squadron's benefit.  Even if I don't "need it" for an upcoming promotion.

Indeed, that should be what members strive for. And the way I read the reags it's the way national wants us to do.

Our organization, when it comes to PD, I think they do it fairly well. Though I am not at all interested in ECI 13 since most of it I knew from WIWAC I still am glad that I have the opportunity. I would love to take AWC. THAT sounds interesting.

As part of my personal / professional development, I got the book "Air Force Officer's Guide". In it I found reading lists. Then I discovered that CAP has a "Read to Lead' program similar to the reading lists given to AF officers. I am in the process of finding a copy of Contrails from the zoo (read Academy).

Currently, I am reading "The Prince".
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

Bluelakes 13

I encourage all to finish each level as soon as possible.  Like someone already said, if you have the time & money to do it now, do it.  You never know what the future brings.

Nothing up to and including Level IV has a grade requirement - I completed Level IV while a 1st Lt.  The exception is that NSC/alternates require a grade of Major, which has stifled my completion.

lordmonar

I concure.

If the opportunity presents itself do what you can when you can.

My promotion to Major was held up because I did not have the two required wing conferences.  I finally got the second on....and completed my Level III requirments, which let me get my Masters Rating in CP, which let me get my Level IV.  If Wing had sent my ECI 13 test on time I would have had all my requirments for Level V too.....all for attending one wing conference!  ;D

I finally took my test last week....so now I am waiting for it to get graded.  Then I have to send a letter into national to get my military PME to count for NSC and I am good for Level V!

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: lordmonar on February 02, 2009, 09:48:05 PM
I finally took my test last week....so now I am waiting for it to get graded.  Then I have to send a letter into national to get my military PME to count for NSC and I am good for Level V!

You do not need to wait to request PME Equivalencies. In fact, waiting can be bad as NHQ will not honor any course over 20 years old. I just put thru a request for a new member who is an AF Ltc for

USAFA = ECI-13
SOS = RSC
ACSC = NSC

All went thru so I have some onw with Level I and NSC credit  ;D

tarheel gumby

I just finished level II for the second time in my CAP career. Now all I need for level III is the conferences and a senior rating in my specialty. I try to take advantage of any PD training opportunities that I find.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

lordmonar

Quote from: phirons on February 02, 2009, 10:16:11 PM

You do not need to wait to request PME Equivalencies. In fact, waiting can be bad as NHQ will not honor any course over 20 years old. I just put thru a request for a new member who is an AF Ltc for

USAFA = ECI-13
SOS = RSC
ACSC = NSC

Well for me....it was NCOA=ECI-13 and SNCOA=RSC.....and I currently have that on my records....but if I do the ECI-13 then I can get my NCOA to equal RSC and my SNCOA to equal NSC, which is what I am currently doing (none of these course are more then 20 years old at this point).

davidsinn

Quote from: lordmonar on February 02, 2009, 10:57:23 PM
Quote from: phirons on February 02, 2009, 10:16:11 PM

USAFA = ECI-13
SOS = RSC
ACSC = NSC

Well for me....it was NCOA=ECI-13 and SNCOA=RSC.....and I currently have that on my records....but if I do the ECI-13 then I can get my NCOA to equal RSC and my SNCOA to equal NSC, which is what I am currently doing (none of these course are more then 20 years old at this point).

I thought you could only sub a course once?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

jimmydeanno

You can only have a PD substitution count once on your requirements.  So you couldn't use ACSC to cover both RSC & NSC, but you can mix and match if you complete other requirements that free those equivilancies up.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

So I understand.....but if I sub a course for ECI-13.....and then I take ECI-13...could I not bump that course up one (and then that one up one more)?

It may not work...but it is worth a try to save me a week's leave to take NSC.

Short Field

^^^Week's leave????  It is now called "vacation".   ;D 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

James Shaw

I have finished Level V but still plan on attending RSC and UCC when I have the opportunity. All of the PD provide great opportunites to meet and greet.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

BGNightfall

Is there a list of acceptable RM substitute courses?  How would Navy leadership courses fit into this?

RiverAux

Its in the prof dev regulation

Pylon

Quote from: BGNightfall on February 03, 2009, 03:10:50 AM
Is there a list of acceptable RM substitute courses?  How would Navy leadership courses fit into this?

CAPR 50-17, in the attachments there the military PME equivalency chart.  Doesn't matter what service the PME was taken in if it's on the list.

lordmonar

Quote from: Short Field on February 02, 2009, 11:41:23 PM
^^^Week's leave????  It is now called "vacation".   ;D 

No....my company callis "compensation leave".....it was founded by a bunch of ex USAF types.  Go figure ;D