Lack of PD courses offered throughout the nation.

Started by Stonewall, December 23, 2008, 01:56:45 AM

Stonewall

I was just checking out the "CAP University" site at the old .gov page and saw that there are very few SLS and CLC courses available throughout the Nation. 

Has this always been the case?  I've put together a couple SLS/CLCs up in DCWG over the years and just last year I taught a class at a Professional Development Weekend here in my group, specifically in the Training Leaders of Cadets course.

Is there any requirement of a wing or group to offer these courses a certain amount of time throughout the year?
Serving since 1987.

PHall

Stonewall

Quote from: PHall on December 23, 2008, 01:59:29 AM
You assume that they all get listed there.

Ha!  You're assuming that I assumed...

I figured they weren't all listed, but even if they weren't you'd think there would still be a few more.
Serving since 1987.

IceNine

I am guessing that more than a "few" are not listed there.

For instance I know that IL host's 3 SLS/CLC's every year and as you can see none of them were listed on that page.

How to get them there I am entirely unsure
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Flying Pig

We have them in CA quite often.  At least 3-4 per year roughly.

Stonewall

Well, aren't I just out of the loop  ::)

I've got someone joining, a former cadet from my time frame, and I'd like to get him plugged in with some PD courses.

I just checked our wing and group calendars and got nuthin...
Serving since 1987.

EMT-83

I think that the courses are out there, but not announced in a timely manner, if at all. I traveled 250 miles to another Wing for SLS, and later found out there was one offered less than 10 miles from my house.

Flying Pig

Stonewall

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 23, 2008, 02:22:17 AM
I think that the courses are out there, but not announced in a timely manner, if at all. I traveled 250 miles to another Wing for SLS, and later found out there was one offered less than 10 miles from my house.

For me:

• I took Level I/CPPT in my wing.
  • I took SLS in another wing.
  • I took CLC in another wing.
  • I took RSC in another region.

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 23, 2008, 02:24:42 AM
A cadet from your time frame.....He must be OLD! >:D

Um, I think you joined CAP a year before me there young stud...   :-*
Serving since 1987.

Camas

Wings should conduct a SLS and CLC once each year (re: CAPR 50-17). If you have the resources then yes, it's a great opportunity for groups and wings to conduct them more often. I believe that if a CAPF46 is submitted to National in a timely manner then the course should be posted for information on the Nat'l website.

Jimbo

Quote from: IceNine on December 23, 2008, 02:04:53 AM
I am guessing that more than a "few" are not listed there.

For instance I know that IL host's 3 SLS/CLC's every year and as you can see none of them were listed on that page.

How to get them there I am entirely unsure

It is very easy to get them listed, you simply email NHQ Professional Development with the contact info / dates / location, etc, and it is usually posted within three days :)

The problem is most people don't know that, or arent even aware that the site exists.  Posting does help.  During the last SLS and CLC I hosted last Spring, I had students from NY and KY, here in VA.  prodev -at- capnhq.gov  or  mwilkinson -at- capnhq.gov
James Keohane, Lt Col, CAP (Maj, USAFR)
Wing Director of Cadet Programs
Chief of Curriculum/Chief Instructor, Cadet Officer School
--------------------------------------------------------
Previous Units: VA-001, VA-025, TX-023, MA-015, MA-070, MA-032
Billy Mitchell (#49097); Amelia Earhart (#12098); Gen Ira C Eaker (#1239)

davedove

Quote from: Camas on December 23, 2008, 03:31:41 AM
Wings should conduct a SLS and CLC once each year (re: CAPR 50-17). If you have the resources then yes, it's a great opportunity for groups and wings to conduct them more often. I believe that if a CAPF46 is submitted to National in a timely manner then the course should be posted for information on the Nat'l website.

Right, Wings "should" conduct each class at least annually.  Plus, National will fund one of each course per Wing (per CAPR 50-17).

MD Wing has also directed each of our three groups to hold an SLS each year.  In addition, if a squadron wants to hold an SLS, it is generally no problem at all to get it approved and even some funding provided.

Our squadron held an SLS in October.  It was listed on the National site as soon as the form was submitted.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

RiverAux

Our wing has had one of each and that seems to be enough for the local demand. 

Phil Hirons, Jr.

The CAPF-46 is required. NHQ sends the certificates when the form is received. I sent the forms for RIWG's SLS and CLC earlier this month and they have not posted.

FYI

SLS 10-11 January 2009 RIWG HQ

CLC 21-22 February 2009 RIWG HQ

Jimbo

Sending in the form does not get it posted (but it did get me the certificates!), based on my experience.   Sent the below email in, it was posted 3 days earlier.

Here is what did:

Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2007 6:05 PM
To: Professional Development
Subject:Scheduled CLC

Hello,

I would like to have this information posted on the scheduled CLC page if possible:

Scheduled CLC for April 21-22 on Goodfellow Air Force Base, TX (San Angelo Composite Squadron, SWR-TX-023)
http://www.sanangelocap.org/

POC: (Name Here) 
E-Mail: (Email Here) / Phone Here
James Keohane, Lt Col, CAP (Maj, USAFR)
Wing Director of Cadet Programs
Chief of Curriculum/Chief Instructor, Cadet Officer School
--------------------------------------------------------
Previous Units: VA-001, VA-025, TX-023, MA-015, MA-070, MA-032
Billy Mitchell (#49097); Amelia Earhart (#12098); Gen Ira C Eaker (#1239)

tarheel gumby

I think that CAPM 50-17 says that wings should idealy have at least one of each per year (SLS & CLC) As for RSC I don't know.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

cnitas

When I ran an SLS recently, I only sent in the form and it posted.  I did not need to send a special request.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

IceNine

^ That should be the general idea.  And that's super that it worked for you but I'm afraid that is an isolated case.

I sent in my forms 90+ days out and it was never posted.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4