Presentation of ribbons for awards (for seniors)

Started by RiverAux, December 21, 2008, 05:36:11 PM

When a senior member in your unit earns an award for which a ribbon is authorized, what do they get?

Presented in a ceremony.  They just receive the certificate and/or paperwork and they have to buy the ribbon
20 (25%)
Presented in a ceremony.  They get the certificate and/or paperwork and the ribbon
39 (48.8%)
No ceremony, but does get the certificate/paperwork
21 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 80

RiverAux

While it seems to be common that when a cadet earns an award for which a ribbon is authorized, the unit usually has a stock of the ribbons and gives it to the cadet in a ceremony at a meeting or banquet.  However, from what I can tell, senior members are usually on their own to buy ribbons for awards that they have earned. 

I think that the award will be more meaningful if the member actually gets the ribbon from the unit (this is how it is done in CG Aux). 

Timbo

-"Other", the Senior gets No Ceremony , but gets the Certificate and/or ribbon

arajca

Recognition is equally important for seniors as it is for cadets. It also helps the cadets realize that these 'old folks' do alot to keep the program running.

Eclipse

_ "Depends".

Timing is everything - around the holidays a lot of certs and ribbons are given out, mid-year, not so much.

It would be nice to be able to have a ceremony for everything, but more often than not, because of our approval process, seniors see things pop up on eServices and walk into the next meeting wearng whatever the received.

Decorations like the DR-V, Comm Comm, etc., are are easier (today), because they are not tracked online, so it easier to surprise people.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

I chose "gets ribbon accompanying certificate during ceremony", if there is a certificate to go with the ribbon.

And this is why it's important for seniors to have training in D&C to an extent.  Just this past week we had a 2d Lt called up for his first "FIND" ribbon to be awarded.  He didn't know how to shake, take, salute

I think it is very important to present awards to everyone in front of everyone else, no matter how small the award is.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Isn't it "salute, take, shake, salute"?

Aren't you supposed to salute when you first report?

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: Eclipse on December 21, 2008, 08:17:21 PM

I suppose it can depend, but the only place I've seen people "report" to get an award is CAP. 

For instance, in my ANG Security Forces Squadron, just this past drill weekend, I had to get a certificate.  I walked up (you don't march like cadets do in CAP), face my peers and presented my certificate.  I shake, take and salute.
Serving since 1987.

Always Ready

Normally, we have a presentation/ceremony. If the squadron has the ribbon in stock, then it is usually presented for free. If not, you get to pay for it.

Personally, I hate award ceremonies. WIWAC, I had my SQ/CC skip presenting me my Mitchell. It worked out because he didn't want to have get someone (probably the Wing/CC) to present it and I didn't want a big deal made out of it. I haven't been presented anything since I was a Cadet. I wouldn't have it any other way for me. BUT, there are people who need/deserve the ceremony and I think it should be at least offered. We make a big deal about Cadet promotions and awards, why not SM promotions and awards...just my 2 cents

Short Field

Presentations are important!  The awardee gets recognized and even more important, the unit sees someone getting an award.  It demonstrates to the unit that awards do get earned by people and mean a bit more than just a check in a box in the personnel record.  It also educates the unit on what awards are out there to be earned and may motivate someone to particiapate a bit more.  Especially when they see a "peer" getting "ahead" of them.

What sucks is when the presentations are poorly done.   A recent example is a SM getting called up and presented a "Leadership Ribbon with Silver Device".  No mention was made that it was for achieving a Master Rating in the person's Speciality Track.   I have also seen "here is your Level III award", again no mention of the name of the award or what it took to earn it.

You don't need a big award's ceremony but please take a few minutes to present awards that are earned and at least say what the award is being earned for.  It does make a difference.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

PaulR

Unless the award is a decoration(not a "merit badge" ribbon), I feel that a ceremony would be kinda silly. 

I agree that any award(merit or decoration) should be presented free of charge complete with certificate and ribbon.

Short Field

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Gunner C

Quote from: Eclipse on December 21, 2008, 08:17:21 PM

Actually, you don't report.  It's shake, take, salute.  One thing that I've seen that could make these ceremonies go faster is rather than have the awardees come up one by one, have them preposition, then award them in order with a narrator giving the name and the reason for the award.

If the award is a decoration (achievement ribbon or higher) then give an abbreviated version of the citation.  If it is an award (find ribbon), then give a VERY brief synopsis of the find (unless it's a cumulative, nondistress find ribbon), then give the name of the recipient and the number of finds.  If it's a training award, then it's name and award unless it a Wilson Award.  Then it's the full monty.

YMMV

Gunner

Fifinella

WIWT/CC, I paid for the ribbons.  Probably just a holdover from AD days, but I thought it was tacky to ask SMs to buy their own ribbons.

While I understand that not everyone wants to "have a fuss" made over them, I agree that everyone needs to know how to conduct themselves properly at an awards ceremony, and I believe it is important for the squadron to see evidence of progress and accomplishment.  I believe it is very important for the cadets to see the SMs working on professional development just like they are.  The SMs are modeling the behavior for the cadets to follow.  The cadets see that accomplishments/progress/development is expected of all members of the squadron.  Often, the cadets don't know much about senior PD unless we show 'em and tell 'em.  And members of the squadron can learn about cool opportunities too, like the NCSA someone is being awarded a ribbon for.

I think it's very important.  (Just my $.02)
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

DogCollar

I think that we keep an ample supply of membership ribbons for both cadets and new seniors.  Otherwise, seniors are responsible for purchasing their own ribbons.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

James Shaw

I had some standard rules of thumb for me when I was a Squadron CC when doing any type of award. I treated them all the same as well as the member getting it. I did this to make sure that none of the members felt like they had been short changed or anything of that sort.

If it was a cadet getting anything than I always requested their parents be present. I wanted the parents to "see the award or accomplishments" not just hear about it in passing from the cadet. I also made certificates for all of the ribbons that did not allready have one. I would also buy the inexpensive frames to put them in. If they were getting promoted I would have the parents help with the pinning. If they were just getting a ribbon I would have a certificate ready to present with the ribbon. I would also make sure that I had their photo put in the local news and supplied to the parent. This had a great impact on both the cadets and their parents.

If it was a SM I would ask them to bring their spouse or significant other. if they were getting promoted than I would have the new rank available for them to help promote the person. If it was a ribbon than they were givent he certificate I made unless it came with one from NHQ. Most of the seniors really did not care for this "dog and pony show" but it was also for the cadets to see and their parents to see as well.

I have always felt that if the person earns an award or anything else they had to work for than they should be encouraged and praised in front of the whole squadron. I never had anyone complain about that approach.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Pylon

I have to agree with the sentiment that if I want to properly recognize my members for their contributions, I should be presenting them with all of the award elements.  I believe it's tacky and wrong to ask people to pay for their own awards; it's as simple as that.  With cadet promotions, the squadron trades up chevrons and insignia so the cadet only needs to "buy in" once and then trade their way up the ranks with new insignia.  With senior promotions, we usually pick up the tab for the set of epaulets used to promote them officially.  With awards and cadet promotions, the squadron or I pay for the ribbon. 

The squadron or I also pick up the tab for frames (dollar stores are great for this) for certificates (like first flight, appreciation, milestones, etc.).  I think it looks cheap to be doing a grip and grin photo pose handing over an unframed piece of paper as an "award" and then publishing that photo.

As for the presentation itself:  We use an "Attention to Orders" format for one-off awards, when presenting an award or promotion at a regular meeting formation.  The member gets called up in front, while the deputy or another SM reads the "orders" aloud (which includes a sentence or two on why they are receiving their award) and the member does the grip n' grin with the award and commander.

But many of our routine awards are given at our annual dining-out.  Reading off dozens of orders one at a time would take way too long.  Instead, the MC narrates continuously and explains the awards and offers a sentence or two about each member and why they are receiving the award/promotion as they are called to go down "handshake alley" and get their grip n' grin photos.  We try to keep the flow moving to get through everyone in a timely manner.

There's something to be said about a little bit of effort in creating some fanfare going a long way to making the member feel appreciated.   A press release after the fact also is a nice touch -- here's a milestone we just presented Wednesday.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jimmydeanno

My squadron used to just point people out during formation as an "Oh, by the way so and so got their Red Service ribbon."  They were also responsible for obtaining their own ribbon, etc.

I thought it was really tacky and suggested that they at least call the person to the front of the formation to present them with the award.  There also wasn't a supply of ribbons for either cadets or seniors.  So there was an annonymous donation of about 10 of each ribbon that CAP people get (minus spaatz, SMV, DSM, etc) and we changed our ceremony to actually having them come up and get the award and ribbon.

We don't make a huge spectacle out of it, but to me, it's just a nice way of saying, "Thank you" and I think people like it.

YMMV

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MIKE

In the Aux the ribbon and mini-medal are provided as part of the awards package with the certificate.  Subsequent awards you get the appropriate attachment and the cirticificate... IIRC the Coast Guard pays for 'em.

It would be nice if units could have the funds to at least provide the ribbon or attachment with the certificate, or just have it be part of the package like the Aux does since I don't care much for individual unit dues.
Mike Johnston

Gunner C

Sometimes you have to break the ice in a unit that doesn't do presentations (I became the commander of one).  We had an officer who was coming up on his 30 year mark.  He was a very behind the scenes type - he maintained the "unit store": he sold (at no profit) ribbons, stripes, patches etc.  He didn't wear a uniform any more but still wanted to serve.

I got a RSR/30 year device (behind his back of course) and let everyone know that this was going to be a special meeting.  I asked him if he wouldn't mind coming in his uniform.  When he showed up, the entire squadron was waiting.  The room stood at attention as he was called to the front.  I recounted his career as a CAP airman, NCO, warrant officer, up to captain (his then-current rank).  I pinned the RSR on his pocket and tears started welling up in his eyes.  In a choked voice, he thanked us for remembering the milestone.

Three things happened:  we started having regular awards ceremonies, the cadets gained respect for that guy who showed up every week to sell ribbons, and that 30 year captain finished his required training for major.

I was pretty happy - sometimes command is measured in inches and individuals.  Some people will say that it's a pain to do that sort of stuff, but it really does help.

Gunner

NC Hokie

Quote from: Pylon on December 22, 2008, 05:49:29 PM
As for the presentation itself:  We use an "Attention to Orders" format for one-off awards, when presenting an award or promotion at a regular meeting formation.  The member gets called up in front, while the deputy or another SM reads the "orders" aloud (which includes a sentence or two on why they are receiving their award) and the member does the grip n' grin with the award and commander.

Do you have a copy of those "orders" that you can share?  Also, can anyone point me towards certificates for the cadet and senior awards that do not come with certificates from NHQ?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy