Main Menu

New CAP Photo ID

Started by Pylon, February 21, 2005, 06:41:48 PM

Schmidty06

Ah, I see.  Once upon a time we had a hologram printer here.  The thing was a beast, the father unit must have been generalizing what it cost to run that machine.

Pylon

While thinking about the new ID, I realized that the Air Force is really giving us some credit with this.  It was previously stated that the Air Force had given its blessing to either design of the two choices the NB has before them.  For the Air Force to approve an Identification Card that, particularly to the general public, looks much like the rest of the Armed Forces' ID cards is not only a sign of faith but also a responsibility.

The Air Force could have easily said that CAP should (for example) make its own unique layout, keep the current horizontal orientation, or in a number of ways made this new CAP ID entirely different from any current format ID used by USAF and the DoD. 

With these new cards, I see a new level of professionalism expected from our Senior Membership - a level of professionalism commensurate with perhaps the active duty officers.  (Not that we equate in any way whatsoever, simply that they may be hoping for an overall national professionalism from our SMs similar to the level their officer corps exudes).

Thoughts on that?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

arajca

Quote from: Pylon on February 28, 2005, 10:21:16 AM
With these new cards, I see a new level of professionalism expected from our Senior Membership - a level of professionalism commensurate with perhaps the active duty officers.  (Not that we equate in any way whatsoever, simply that they may be hoping for an overall national professionalism from our SMs similar to the level their officer corps exudes).

Thoughts on that?
For some senior members, it will not be a problem, for others, it will require a MAJOR attitude adjustment. As a whole, I think CAP can rise to the challange. And if, as has been suggested in the agenda item, there is an opt-out option for those members who do not need or want base access, after the novelty wears off, some SM's will go back to the old (current) card. I can also see group or wing commanders specifying certain senior members will not get the new photo card based on their behavior - although if that is truly that much of a problem, 2B action is most likely warranted.

whatevah

yeah, I really don't think a photo ID card will improve the profesionalism from any of the current seniors, especially those in cadet squadrons.  Too many of them think of CAP of nothing more than Boy Scouts with better uniforms.  That's one of my biggest peeves with a lot of seniors I know.

Add to that, there is no real oversight for seniors, they can really do whatever they want, and any new members to that unit will see how it's currently done, and not have the proper professional base to learn from. For CAP members to return to a proper professional frame of mind, it'll require much more than a cool ID card.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Pylon

Are they perhaps giving us the incentives before they see the results, or do you think they think we're already at a level commensurate, on the national average, and so we're now seeing the token?

Quote from: whatevah on February 28, 2005, 06:34:36 PM
For CAP members to return to a proper professional frame of mind, it'll require much more than a cool ID card.

Good point.  Perhaps CAP NHQ should roll out a program to develop the professionalism of the Senior Member corps around the same time.  If done right, it certainly couldn't hurt our image to the USAF and public.   ::)

md132

Quote from: Pylon on February 24, 2005, 12:42:13 AM
Very nice.

For everybody's enjoyment, here are the two proposed designs (which aren't much different from each other):

Seems like it'd be a confusing mess of who gets them and who doesn't at first, but I'm sure in a year or two it would work out and settle down to a very simple and clear pattern.

From the looks of it, the card also looks like the CAC (Common Access Card) that DoD, Army Civilians and AAFES employess also has. 

Pylon

Does anybody have the inside scoop on how the ID card vote went at NB and what system they decided to go with for distribution/funding/etc.?

SarDragon

Quote from: Pylon on March 08, 2005, 01:49:10 AM
Does anybody have the inside scoop on how the ID card vote went at NB and what system they decided to go with for distribution/funding/etc.?

From notes provided by Wing CC:

1) AF pre approved two possible designs.  We voted to approve the design that includes a hologram.
2) New members will continue to receive a temporary card until the FBI screening is complete.
3) New photo cards will start to be available beginning 1 October 2005.
4) The current CAP membership card will still be available.  Senior members who desire the new photo ID/membership card will pay $4.00 for the cards.  The cards will need to be repurchased when a member is promoted or the cards are lost.  The cards will no longer have the unit charter number so new cards will not be needed if a member changes units.
5) MGen Wheless will issue a letter stating that the new photo ID card is the preferred membership card for seniors.  This ID card will not guarantee base access.

NHQ is working on the specifications for the photograph that members submit and the validation process.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Pylon

Quote from: SarDragon on March 08, 2005, 07:22:41 AM
Quote from: Pylon on March 08, 2005, 01:49:10 AM

From nortes provided by Wing CC:

1) AF pre approved two possible designs.  We voted to approve the design that includes a hologram.
2) New members will continue to receive a temporary card until the FBI screening is complete.
3) New photo cards will start to be available beginning 1 October 2005.
4) The current CAP membership card will still be available.  Senior members who desire the new photo ID/membership card will pay $4.00 for the cards.  The cards will need to be repurchased when a member is promoted or the cards are lost.  The cards will no longer have the unit charter number so new cards will not be needed if a member changes units.
5) MGen Wheless will issue a letter stating that the new photo ID card is the preferred membership card for seniors.  This ID card will not guarantee base access.

NHQ is working on the specifications for the photograph that members submit and the validation process.

Excellent.  Thanks for the inside info.   ;)

I'll be first in line to get one.

flying Raptor

Is there any chance that cadets could get these cards?
c/CMSgt. Daniel Rufener
NER-PA-310
Honor Guard Commander
Raven Honor Guard

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.
A clean (and dry) set of BDU's is a magnet for mud and rain.
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid. -Murphy's laws

Mac

Quote from: flying Raptor on April 14, 2005, 01:36:44 PM
Is there any chance that cadets could get these cards?

According to the NB minutes listed on e-services, this card will only be for senior members, but it may go to cadets sometime in the future, who knows.
Derk MacPherson, Lt Col, CAP
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

abysmal

This ID card will not guarantee base access.

So other than "Dressing us up a bit" this card has a net/net effect of doing nothing more or less than the current membership card???
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

CAPSGT

The idea is to make us look a little more official.  It will really make it easier to get on some bases, that's for sure.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

abysmal

Quote from: CAPSGT on April 15, 2005, 05:10:44 AM
The idea is to make us look a little more official.  It will really make it easier to get on some bases, that's for sure.

You really think so??
I remember back in the day, when my old ID card would get me onto any of the Air FOrce Bases without any problems. But that was a long time ago in a far away place.

arajca

Yea, it'll make us look a little more official.

As for getting on base, who knows. I heard that the AF wants to use only the new id card for base access.

Quote from: NB Minutes March 2005 (Draft)It should be noted that military base commanders determine who can access a facility.
Col. Sciss indicated that a joint AF-CAP letter could be circulated to military facilitates
through AF channels that would announce a date after which military facilities should
only recognize the new photo-ID card for senior members.

abysmal

Quote from: arajca on April 15, 2005, 08:05:21 PM
As for getting on base, who knows. I heard that the AF wants to use only the new id card for base access.

Which of course would make LOTS of sence.
I just wonder if it will make any real difference in our ability to get on base when the time comes.

md132

Just like before it'll be at the discretion of the base/garrison commander. In my experience, the previous base commander had us get a visitor's pass and our new garrison commander does not require and leave it under the discretion of the MP's and DoD police officers.  Myself and a few other members are an exception because we are AD, Res, NG, Retired, Dependent or DoD employees. 
Some MP's and DoD officers will honor the card and accept us as officers and others will not.  So it just depends on the installation and Provost Marshall

abysmal

and so it is likely to go.
It will vary from person to person and from site to site.

SarDragon

Quote from: abysmal on April 14, 2005, 11:31:25 PM
  This ID card will not guarantee base access.

So other than "Dressing us up a bit" this card has a net/net effect of doing nothing more or less than the current membership card???
Note the difference in terminology - the current card we carry is a membership card. Always has been. It can be supplemented by CAPF 19, but that has its own problems. The new card is specifically an identification card, with more credibility than the old system. As the ID card idea matures with the folks on the military bases, it will probably make things a lot easier. Change is not easy sometimes.

Also, please note that the quote above attributed to me is actually commentary by General Wheless. I'm sure that, in time, the new cards will significantly improve base access.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

md132

Another thing with the new CAP ID card is that I think CAP NHQ should also send a letter and photo of the card to AAFES HQ in Dallas so AAFES can update they training to accomodate.  Because AAFES personnel may not know what they are looking at.  We see all kinds of Common Access Cards and all have been all white background.  Guaranteed they will get confused when they see the new card.  They are accustomed to seeing our current membership card.