Encampment Packing Lists

Started by Stonewall, November 18, 2008, 01:47:50 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on November 20, 2008, 03:18:25 AM
Quote from: NCO forever on November 20, 2008, 02:29:58 AM
Not having the proper sheets or blanket will result in that cadet being gigged in every inspection therefore it will reflect badly on the entire flight since they are a team and when one fails they all fail.

You can't gig someone if they weren't issued the right sheets.  There is only one thing mandatory in CAP as far as uniforms and equipment and that's the short-sleeve blues uniform with flight cap, belt, shoes.

Here I don't agree - with respect to uniforms, yes, the regs are clear about what you can actually mandate, however other equipment is anyone's call - you can't play on a Ground Team without 24/72, you can't launch rockets w/o rockets, and if the packing list says bring your own sheets, and you don't, or bring something inappropriate, gigs are fair game.

I know someone will want to play the poverty card, but come on, the vast majority of our cadets are not impoverished beggars barely able to scrape enough money together for ribbons.  Ever seen what it costs for football or hockey? Not to mention the latest X-Box games?

If a particular activity has equipment requirements that are too onerous, then maybe you can't attend this year, or have to go to a different encampment.  In this case, assuming the cadet has a bed, two sheets and a blanket are not going to break them.

A PITA to have to drag them with?  Yes.  But some venues simply cannot provide that service.  The alternative is going to be raising the cost of the activity to provide the linens.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: LtCol057 on November 20, 2008, 04:43:28 AM
Out of 9 encampments I've been to, we've had sheets at 2.

I have participated in 3 encampments, but have visited my cadets at every one in about a 14 year time period.  Until I created this topic, I have never heard of cadets being required to bring their own linen.  Two sheets, pillow and pillow case, and green wool blanket with US.  In fact, I have been to a few encampments where they issued two wool blankets; one for a "dust cover".
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

Quote from: Stonewall on November 20, 2008, 03:18:25 AM
Quote from: NCO forever on November 20, 2008, 02:29:58 AM
Not having the proper sheets or blanket will result in that cadet being gigged in every inspection therefore it will reflect badly on the entire flight since they are a team and when one fails they all fail.

You can't gig someone if they weren't issued the right sheets.  There is only one thing mandatory in CAP as far as uniforms and equipment and that's the short-sleeve blues uniform with flight cap, belt, shoes.

UK, that was writen for cadets who go to meetings once a week for 2.5 hours... and do next to nothing else.  i.e. drill, take tests and sit and listen.
Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Quote from: MIKE on November 20, 2008, 03:58:35 PMUK, that was writen for cadets who go to meetings once a week for 2.5 hours... and do next to nothing else.  i.e. drill, take tests and sit and listen.

True.  True.

And trust me, I'm not one of those guys that cries "poverty" and "their parents don't have money".  To be in our program there is an expectation of having certain things, a set of BDUs is one of them.  But to me, having specific linen is over the top.  Sure, tell'em to bring a fart sack sleeping bag, that's fine.  But it certainly takes away from the cadets' encampment experience.
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

A set of white twin unfitted sheets and a pillow case and a plain dark blanket is over the top?  Most cadets can probably use that on their own bed when they get home.  And I'd rather be between some sheets than an old fart sack when it's in the 90s anyway.

What about the 8 pairs of boot socks, brown/black t-shirts etc?  I never needed that many except for encampment.

You want an encampment where the only uniform cadets wear is one set of short-sleeved service uniform... and they get to go home every night?
Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Silly

No, of course not.  Thought you knew me better than that.  I just think it sucks that cadets have to bring their own sheets and blanket to encampment.  It detracts from the experience of being a military style enviornment when there isn't enough consistency in something as simple as bunks so that they can be inspected using the same standard (different sheets, blankets, pillows).

You may not agree, but I think something as simple as a bunk inspection is important to the experience at encampment.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on November 20, 2008, 04:39:08 PM
You may not agree, but I think something as simple as a bunk inspection is important to the experience at encampment.

I agree with that - the sheer mental and physical effort some cadets put into getting their bunks "tight and right" is amazing.  Its as important as the ever-present shoe-shine (which is going to open a lot of cadet time when we get ABU's).

We've got to deal with "coffin lockers",
which means no way to get under and "tuck flags", etc.  A few years ago the RDC's showed some of the cadets the technique the recruits use (requires a canteen), and now its cool each year to see that being passed down to the new guys without and prompting.

But if the Navy suddenly told us they couldn't provide linens, we'd be in the same world of hurt.

"That Others May Zoom"

SWASH

Now as I think of it, yes cadets not being able to make bunks does take away from the bunk making experience.  But on the other hand you can still standarize the bunks.  Just have cadets tuck in the sheets nice and tight, then fold the sleeping bag in a certain way.  It is not as elaborant, but if you are creative you can standarize just about anything.

Heres something to think about: Last Sunday in church our pastor was talking about life impactss.  He was talking about how major life accomplishes may seem like life changing moments, but it really the thousands of small experience that change your life.  Cadets may think that they graduated encampment and magically become better cadets, but it is really the bunk making, inspections, drill, standing in lines, the SOP, etc.
CHRIS W. SAJDAK, C/SMSgt, CAP
2006-2007 SERWE Doolie, 2007-2008 SERWE Flight Sergeant
2008 ILWG Summer Encampment Flight Sergeant
08/09 FLWG Winter Encampemnt PAO

AvroArrow

My first encampment was just this summer at MOWG.

You were required to bring your own linens. However, the equipment list was very clear: bring conservative, white bed sheets, pillow cases, towels and wash clothes, etc. If you didn't, your "secret" was discovering during in-processing, and you were sent home (luckily everyone brought white linens).

Also, the equipment list asked for two BDUs, but required one. There were several cadets who only brought one and/or only wore one BDU; Camp Crowder has a washing facility, so personal hygiene nor clothing condition was a concern even though some of the cadet decided not to wash their clothes (their homes were apparently more sterile). The encampment was still a blast, and the smells honestly were no where near as bad as it could've been.

Though I don't have the years of experience, I'm confident to say that if you make the rules clear, cadets would/should follow them. Besides, as I've said to many of my fellow cadets, nice civies with a tie at the maximum only costs $30 at Wal-mart or Target, and that goes the same with linens. And as you all have pointed out, not many of our members can pull the excuse of poverty considering that there are both national and squadron dues.

Just my two cents.

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on November 20, 2008, 04:53:03 PM
We've got to deal with "coffin lockers"

Did you have to remind me of those horrid things?  :(

Did you?  :o
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BGNightfall

QuoteWe've got to deal with "coffin lockers",

I think I lived in that compartment in basic...

Eclipse

Quote from: BGNightfall on January 28, 2009, 06:47:07 AM
QuoteWe've got to deal with "coffin lockers",

I think I lived in that compartment in basic...

Do you remember what ship you were on?

"That Others May Zoom"

BGNightfall

QuoteDo you remember what ship you were on?

Actually, I seriously doubt that was my compartment.  I was in Ship 6 (U.S.S. Constitution) and our bearthing was usually full with all of the 900 divisions and the guys on the first deck. 

I'm guessing that one is over in one of the "new buildings" in Camp John Paul Jones?

Eclipse

Quote from: BGNightfall on January 28, 2009, 05:08:36 PM
QuoteDo you remember what ship you were on?

Actually, I seriously doubt that was my compartment.  I was in Ship 6 (U.S.S. Constitution) and our berthing was usually full with all of the 900 divisions and the guys on the first deck. 

I'm guessing that one is over in one of the "new buildings" in Camp John Paul Jones?

Its entirely possible that's from the Constitution, when I get a chance I'll see if I can dig the date on the photo.  Over the last 5-6 years we've been on 5 different ships, and of course they all look the same.

We're usually on an emptier one, or one between divisions, so generally they are empty and always the compartments are when we arrive.

I'm still waiting to hear from a cadet who later joins the Navy to see if there were any "BTDT moments" during BMT.  We eat, sleep and play just like the recruits, so its bound to start popping up.

"That Others May Zoom"

BGNightfall

For my own part, I did my encampment at Tri-Wing Encampment in MD.  Still, there were a great deal of BTDT moments when I got to RTC.  In point of fact, there were  a few times where I was a bit disappointed in RTC, since at Tri-Wing we had had significantly more exacting regulations to follow.  Also, I do remember the canteen trick, as well as using my "Rickie Notebook" to fold down my top sheet.  I bet if I were put to it, I could even properly fold my blanket, with triangle fold. 

I'm actually quite intrigued by this idea of having an encampment at RTC.  Do the cadets get run through SAM-T?  Or do line-handling on the Marlinespike? 

Those are a couple of my favorite memories from RTC.  Well, that and performing at my graduation. 

Eclipse

Quote from: BGNightfall on January 31, 2009, 01:13:35 AM
I'm actually quite intrigued by this idea of having an encampment at RTC.  Do the cadets get run through SAM-T?  Or do line-handling on the Marlinespike? 

Those are a couple of my favorite memories from RTC.  Well, that and performing at my graduation. 

Yes, they do SAMT (and will have access to an all-new facility this year), The Marlinespike, and some training in the combat pool.  We also have graduation in the Midway.

One year we had access to the confidence course, but they took it down and have not replaced it yet.

BTW - I checked, those pics of the compartment are from the Constitution from 2003.  That was the last year we spent any time in the old ships, the first weekend was on an old one, the second weekend on the Constitution - we were the first non-Navy group to stay there, and have had a tradition of helping to open ships since then. Talk about a night and day difference!

More info here:  http://encampment.group22.net/

"That Others May Zoom"

BGNightfall

Ooooo this just made my day.  I can hear in my head a CAP cadet on the sound powered telephone "Boatswains Mate of the watch, aye!"   :D

Congratulations to all of you in IL Wing.  It's great to see CAP working with the Navy so closely.  Rather makes me wish I'd been at RTC in the summer months instead. 

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on January 31, 2009, 01:33:31 AM
Quote from: BGNightfall on January 31, 2009, 01:13:35 AM

Yes, they do SAMT (and will have access to an all-new facility this year), The Marlinespike, and some training in the combat pool.  We also have graduation in the Midway.

One year we had access to the confidence course, but they took it down and have not replaced it yet.

BTW - I checked, those pics of the compartment are from the Constitution from 2003.  That was the last year we spent any time in the old ships, the first weekend was on an old one, the second weekend on the Constitution - we were the first non-Navy group to stay there, and have had a tradition of helping to open ships since then. Talk about a night and day difference!

More info here:  http://encampment.group22.net/

What is the Battle Stations that's on the permission forms? My cadets keep asking me about it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on January 31, 2009, 03:26:43 AM
What is the Battle Stations that's on the permission forms? My cadets keep asking me about it.

Sadly its something that we ask for every year and have yet to be granted access to.

The new Battlestations 21 is the new culmination of Recruit training - a virtual reality simulator of a ship named the U.S.S. Trayer which puts recruits through an onboard-ship attack/disaster scenario similar to what happened to the U.S.S. Cole, including several hundred thousands gallons of salt water, real fire, and areas of the ship that are askew in the same way as if the ship had been attacked.

It was completed in late 2007 and opened in 2008 - we'll likely never be able to actually run the drills, but have been hoping for a tour since we started watching the buildings going up.  So far, the answer has been no for both safety and national security reasons.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised at how much is being shown now publicly, this time last year it was difficult to find anything on the web about it.

We'll keep asking, and on the odd chance they let us in to see it, the permission slips will have already been in the channel.

http://www.edwardstechnologies.com/military-technology.asp (video)

http://www.news.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=40854

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3738/is_200312/ai_n9321061

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=30434

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on January 31, 2009, 04:54:06 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on January 31, 2009, 03:26:43 AM

Sadly its something that we ask for every year and have yet to be granted access to.

The new Battlestations 21 is the new culmination of Recruit training - a virtual reality simulator of a ship named the U.S.S. Trayer which puts recruits through an onboard-ship attack/disaster scenario similar to what happened to the U.S.S. Cole, including several hundred thousands gallons of salt water, real fire, and areas of the ship that are askew in the same way as if the ship had been attacked.

It was completed in late 2007 and opened in 2008 - we'll likely never be able to actually run the drills, but have been hoping for a tour since we started watching the buildings going up.  So far, the answer has been no for both safety and national security reasons.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised at how much is being shown now publicly, this time last year it was difficult to find anything on the web about it.

We'll keep asking, and on the odd chance they let us in to see it, the permission slips will have already been in the channel.

http://www.edwardstechnologies.com/military-technology.asp (video)

http://www.news.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=40854

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3738/is_200312/ai_n9321061

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=30434

I've heard about that. If we could get on it that would be Sierra Hotel. It doesn't surprise me that we can't do it though.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn