Updating the membership card

Started by PWK-GT, December 29, 2005, 05:26:35 AM

PWK-GT

When I promoted to butter-bar 2LT, I was told that I would get a new ID card reflecting my new rank from NHQ. As it has been 1-2 months now without it arriving, my question is this:
1) Was this info INCORRECT?
2) How long does it normally take to receive said card?
3) Is there some paperwork to file...or should the NHQ database automatically kick one out after e-services showed the updated rank?
Thanks for any help on this topic.......and a Happy New Year to all my CAP brethren!
"Is it Friday yet"

SarDragon

When was the Form 2 submitted? You still show up at a 2nd Lt in the database. Normally, promotions show up in a month or less. The approved Form 2 and new membership card are sent to the unit address.

Quote from: CAPR 35-3g. First and Second Lieutenant. The squadron commander is the promoting authority for all members assigned to his/her unit for all promotions except professional appointment promotions. The wing commander is the approving authority for all professional appointment promotions.

Therefore, your paperwork should have gone directly to National. If it was misrouted (via Group and/or Wing), there is no telling how long it will take to get through the system. You probably need to have your personnel officer follow up on things.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shorning

Quote from: SarDragon on December 29, 2005, 07:16:20 AM
When was the Form 2 submitted? You still show up at a 2nd Lt in the database. Normally, promotions show up in a month or less. The approved Form 2 and new membership card are sent to the unit address.

If he's showing up as a 2nd Lt, then his promotion has gone through (according to what he posted above).  It sounds like everything processed correctly.

I would check with your squadron commander or personnel officer to see if they've received the card.  1-2 months isn't too bad, but I'd check.  Sometimes things get lost in the mail or stuck in a puka somewhere.

dwb

When a senior member is promoted, their ID card with the new rank on it is mailed to the squadron mailing address.  I assume they do this so they don't blow the secret if the squadron is keeping the promotion a surprise.

Talk to whoever gets the mail at your squadron mailing address.  They will have your card.  In my experience, updated ID cards arrive within 7-10 days of the promotion.

Congrats on your promotion!

MIKE

I remember when my promotion to 1st Lt went through I had thought I would get the card directly like I had for every renewal from my cadet daze... After a while I asked my CC about it, he reaches into the file cabinet and produces my card.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on December 29, 2005, 03:31:23 PM
[snip]  After a while I asked my CC about it, he reaches into the file cabinet and produces my card.

...let's reach into the magic file cabinet and see what the all-powerful CC can produce!   :o ;D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on December 29, 2005, 03:43:15 PM
Quote from: MIKE on December 29, 2005, 03:31:23 PM
[snip]  After a while I asked my CC about it, he reaches into the file cabinet and produces my card.

...let's reach into the magic file cabinet and see what the all-powerful CC can produce!   :o ;D

They have powers man!  I guess it comes with the job.  :D
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

Quote from: shorning on December 29, 2005, 08:42:02 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on December 29, 2005, 07:16:20 AM

If he's showing up as a 2nd Lt, then his promotion has gone through (according to what he posted above).  It sounds like everything processed correctly. [redacted]

Oops. Gotta work on that RTFM thing!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Check eServices and see if you are a 2Lt there - you should also put in for your membership ribbon if you haven't.

If your CC went through the new electronic system the promotion is effective either immediately or as of the date the CC indicates.

Promotions faxed to NHQ take a bit longer, but generally no more than a day or two.
Unless there is a local wing addendum requiring it, there is no reason to push the promotion through wing and the CC should send it directly to NHQ.

New ID cards used to be sent to the CC at the unit mailing address, however since at least mid-summer they are being sent directly to the respective member.

Is your membership current?  I have seen several cases where what appeared to be a  paperwork SNAFU turned out to be a member's membership lapsing.

"That Others May Zoom"

PWK-GT

Well, the Form 2 was done electronically.....E-services and the WMU are up to date as well. But I believe we are still getting the snail-mail at the Address of Record for the squadron, but in ILWG YMMV.....Although Eclipse and I are scant miles apart--we often get things handled differently. Membership is also current.............Maybe I gotta find one of those 'magic' filing cabinets :D
"Is it Friday yet"

dwb

Quote from: Eclipse on December 29, 2005, 10:48:19 PMNew ID cards used to be sent to the CC at the unit mailing address, however since at least mid-summer they are being sent directly to the respective member.

See what happens when you don't attend a CAP meeting for four months?  You miss this stuff!

Thanks for the correction.

Pylon

Quote from: RvrPk01 on December 30, 2005, 02:01:29 AM
Well, the Form 2 was done electronically.....E-services and the WMU are up to date as well. But I believe we are still getting the snail-mail at the Address of Record for the squadron, but in ILWG YMMV.....Although Eclipse and I are scant miles apart--we often get things handled differently. Membership is also current.............Maybe I gotta find one of those 'magic' filing cabinets :D

You can always request a new membership card to be sent, in E-Services.  That could clear up the dillemma, as well.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

PWK-GT

Quote from: Pylon on December 30, 2005, 03:05:55 AM

You can always request a new membership card to be sent, in E-Services.  That could clear up the dillemma, as well.  :)
Thanks...I wasn't aware of that! I'm on it tonight........now to find where, though. :D
"Is it Friday yet"

Eclipse

DUH!  - Jim!  I never even bothered to read that was you.  I feel like such an !@#$

I was even thinking when I read this originally that I wished the guy was local so I could look into it.

The WMU shows you as a 2nd Lt, so that means your promotion is certainly aged enough to have not only been posted on eServices, but also to make the datd dump to IL.

I don't see anyplace on eServ to get a replacement ID, but if you check this KB article you can call one of them:

link to KB article

Otherwise a direct ques to your CC is in order.

admin edit: fixed the link tag

"That Others May Zoom"

PWK-GT

Quote from: Eclipse on December 30, 2005, 06:35:22 AM
DUH!  - Jim!  I never even bothered to read that was you.  I feel like such an !@#$

I was even thinking when I read this originally that I wished the guy was local so I could look into it.

The WMU shows you as a 2nd Lt, so that means your promotion is certainly aged enough to have not only been posted on eServices, but also to make the datd dump to IL.

I don't see anyplace on eServ to get a replacement ID, but if you check this KB article you can call one of them:

link to KB article

Otherwise a direct ques to your CC is in order.

Thanks Captain Williams,
I found the same link in the KB........guess I'll be calling tomorrow AM and see what they tell me. As we have a few blackout dates around the holidays, I won't see my CC until the 11th......maybe it's been already sent. And my CC only checks email every few days......no biggie. I thought maybe they only send a new one after the renewal anniversary......wasn't sure if I got the straight poop in the get-go. As an aside, I wonder if ILWG is still issuing CAPF 19a's..........or like everything, sit and wait for it to be processed. I'll email you tomorrow with some more thoughts on that. ;)

admin edit: fixed link tag in quote
"Is it Friday yet"

Eclipse

Yeah, give me a buzz on the 19's - literally working on that issue tonight.

BTW - if you're off next week, come see PWK, we'll be starting our aircrew
training on the 2nd!

(sorry to the universe for this personal business).

"That Others May Zoom"

cmoore

Quote from: Eclipse on December 29, 2005, 10:48:19 PM
Check eServices and see if you are a 2Lt there - you should also put in for your membership ribbon if you haven't.

How does one put in for a membership ribbon?  Is that on a Form 2A? 
For both the Form 2 and 2A, does the member fill these out and submit
them, or are they submitted by someone in command on behalf of the
member?

2LT Chris Moore, CAP
California Wing
Sacramento Composite Squadron 14
1st Lt Chris Moore
Sacramento Composite Squadron 14

Eclipse

Either electronically or hard-copy, submit a CAPF 2a with the indication of the membership ribbon, from there push it up the chain to your CC, etc.

Unit CC's approve those, so his sig is all that is needed.

If you use the WMU, it's an easier, electronic process.

Command can certainly just knock these out, but handing one to you admin officer or CDS is a friendly reminder.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Quote from: CAPR 50-173-7. Membership Award Ribbon.
Completion of Level I training makes the new member eligible for the CAP Membership Award ribbon. Units should
complete CAPF 2a, Request for and Approval of Personnel Actions (Attachment 9), which requests authorization for wear of
the Membership ribbon. Include in Block VII the name of the award and the date of Level I training completion. The unit
Professional Development Officer signs the requester signature block. The unit commander approves these forms.
NOTE: Completion of Level I and 6 months time-in-grade as a senior member satisfies the training requirements for duty
performance promotion to second lieutenant (see CAPR 35-5).
Mike Johnston

Dave J

I still liked it better when one had to sign their new card to accept the promotion and the responsibilities that went with it.  The promotion not being valid until the card was signed.  But I do admit that ~was a long time ago.  ;D