>>> Starching BDUs <<<

Started by 356cadet, July 12, 2008, 06:48:25 PM

Stonewall

Quote from: jaybird512 on July 16, 2008, 05:35:49 PM
Sometimes it's not just about passing.

Sometimes it is.  At my first encampment they wouldn't let us use starch.  For whatever reason, they confiscated it from anyone who brought it.

Personally, I am against starching utility uniforms.  I don't starch my jeans or 5.11 tactical pants.  To me, BDUs, even for CAP, is not a parade uniform and needs not be starched and prepared for a parade.
Serving since 1987.

JayT

Quote from: Dynamite on July 16, 2008, 02:20:40 PM
My room mate at encampment starched the crud out of her BDUs. I just hung mine up and spent that extra time cleaning and studying. Uniform inspection came around and we both passed just fine. it's a utility uniform, not a dress uniform! I'd NEVER starch my jeans, why starch the BDUs?

So the cadet should have spent less time studying and cleaning her bay to..........starch her BDUs?

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

jb512

Quote from: Stonewall on July 16, 2008, 06:45:52 PM

Sometimes it is.  At my first encampment they wouldn't let us use starch.  For whatever reason, they confiscated it from anyone who brought it.

Personally, I am against starching utility uniforms.  I don't starch my jeans or 5.11 tactical pants.  To me, BDUs, even for CAP, is not a parade uniform and needs not be starched and prepared for a parade.

It's a matter of personal opinion.  I've always starched mine, both at work and at CAP and I like the way it looks.  Maybe I've just seen too many people who look like they've used them for pajamas and I overcompensate.  I just think they look much better that way.

jb512

Quote from: JThemann on July 16, 2008, 06:47:52 PM
Quote from: Dynamite on July 16, 2008, 02:20:40 PM
My room mate at encampment starched the crud out of her BDUs. I just hung mine up and spent that extra time cleaning and studying. Uniform inspection came around and we both passed just fine. it's a utility uniform, not a dress uniform! I'd NEVER starch my jeans, why starch the BDUs?

So the cadet should have spent less time studying and cleaning her bay to..........starch her BDUs?

Apparently not.  It looks like they both passed, and that was their objective.

Hawk200

Quote from: jaybird512 on July 17, 2008, 10:55:42 AMIt's a matter of personal opinion.  I've always starched mine, both at work and at CAP and I like the way it looks.  Maybe I've just seen too many people who look like they've used them for pajamas and I overcompensate.  I just think they look much better that way.

You're approaching a fine line between overcompensating and requiring others to follow your example.

Making statements such as "Sometimes it's not just about passing." implies that someone needs to be doing more than they are now. It's a slipperly slope when you start requiring things over and above what the Nationally published manual states.

That being said, looking like a ragbag isn't acceptable either. I can understand certain circumstances such as bivouacs, longer term missions, and DR type ops; but there are still certain basics that should be met. Properly bloused, t-shirts tucked in, wearing a belt, wearing a hat properly (I hate the Skippy look). When it comes to appropriate standards those still need to be met. It doesn't take much to actually go above the basic standards. A little extra is far better than requiring extremes.

jb512

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 17, 2008, 02:49:52 PM
Quote from: jaybird512 on July 17, 2008, 10:55:42 AMIt's a matter of personal opinion.  I've always starched mine, both at work and at CAP and I like the way it looks.  Maybe I've just seen too many people who look like they've used them for pajamas and I overcompensate.  I just think they look much better that way.

You're approaching a fine line between overcompensating and requiring others to follow your example.

Making statements such as "Sometimes it's not just about passing." implies that someone needs to be doing more than they are now. It's a slipperly slope when you start requiring things over and above what the Nationally published manual states.

That being said, looking like a ragbag isn't acceptable either. I can understand certain circumstances such as bivouacs, longer term missions, and DR type ops; but there are still certain basics that should be met. Properly bloused, t-shirts tucked in, wearing a belt, wearing a hat properly (I hate the Skippy look). When it comes to appropriate standards those still need to be met. It doesn't take much to actually go above the basic standards. A little extra is far better than requiring extremes.

No one is trying to require the starching of BDUs, and I do believe that there are a lot of things in life that aren't just about passing.  I also don't think that starching your clothes is extreme.

There are lots of people in the RM, CAP, and other organizations who will always have different standards for how they like to look and you can look just fine in an ironed uniform if that's what you choose to do.  I choose to use the tricks of the trade like starch, epaulet shapers, cardboard backing, garters, etc., with the different uniforms that I wear.

Hawk200

Quote from: jaybird512 on July 17, 2008, 07:37:00 PM
There are lots of people in the RM, CAP, and other organizations who will always have different standards for how they like to look and you can look just fine in an ironed uniform if that's what you choose to do.  I choose to use the tricks of the trade like starch, epaulet shapers, cardboard backing, garters, etc., with the different uniforms that I wear.

It's true, different people have different standards on their appearance. However, I routinely receive compliments on my appearance, both in and out of uniform. Apparently, I'm doing something that doesn't hinge on the use of starch.

What about people that can't use starch? I'm one of them. Gives me a rash. Even fabric sizing will if I use enough and manage to sweat into it. I get the impression that you would think less of me for not using starch, and you would never even know why.

I do iron my uniforms (the whole thing, not just the fronts, sleeves, or pants legs), polish my boots, make sure T-shirt isn't stretched out, properly blouse pants, and make sure I don't have strings or lint. I don't spend more than an hour on that in a whole week. Anything more is overachieving and unnecessary. It's a simple case of diminished returns.

Major Lord

Try the flame test: Take a piece of summer weight woodland camo cloth. Cut it in half. Heavily starch one piece and let dry. Hang side by side. Expose to open flame. Which one would you rather wear?

I know the Cadet culture loves their starched BDU's, and rolled up sleeves, but please make sure you understand the consequences. Some friends and I joked years ago about making body armor ("bullet proof" vests) with most of the Kevlar removed and a neoprene abdominal "six-Pack" substituted. Our marketing motto was to have been "When looking good is more important than survival!" People would have bought it too!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

jb512

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 17, 2008, 08:01:44 PM
Quote from: jaybird512 on July 17, 2008, 07:37:00 PM

It's true, different people have different standards on their appearance. However, I routinely receive compliments on my appearance, both in and out of uniform. Apparently, I'm doing something that doesn't hinge on the use of starch.

What about people that can't use starch? I'm one of them. Gives me a rash. Even fabric sizing will if I use enough and manage to sweat into it. I get the impression that you would think less of me for not using starch, and you would never even know why.

I do iron my uniforms (the whole thing, not just the fronts, sleeves, or pants legs), polish my boots, make sure T-shirt isn't stretched out, properly blouse pants, and make sure I don't have strings or lint. I don't spend more than an hour on that in a whole week. Anything more is overachieving and unnecessary. It's a simple case of diminished returns.

Now Hawk, I wouldn't think any less of you for not using starch.   ;)

hatentx

I would have never though Starching or not starting would have been such a huge issue.  I Starch them I would guess mostly out of habit.  I did so in the Army so I would do so wearing the BDUs again.  I am not some pouge that set in a office doing paper work I was out on the flight line and such.  I have  do take pride in how I look both in the RM and CAP.  Maybe more so in CAP to be the example to the cadets which sadly in some units there is not a real good uniform example setter. 

As the IR stuff I buy it to a point.  FLIR is going to see you it picks up heat.  Startched or not your body still produces heat. NODs though or NVGs look for light.  I have seen a slight difference I wouls assume between two soldiers and I belive it to be the "shine"factor on the startch.

In the field I wouldnt dream of starch.  Why? Becasue I find it unconfritable.  The startch bothers my skin when I am sweating and working multiple days.  Plus unstartched would ball up easier in a ruck. 

On the Parade uniform I would say other wise.  I couldnt tell you how many formations I have been in, change of command, pass and review, or actually parades in BDUs.  So yeah I had a set just set a side for that.  Double starched and boots to match that were only worn for those events.  I did though show up to work with polished boots and a starched uniform because it gave a good impression.  I didnt want to press them everyday, which i see as an option as well, so i chose starch.  It is like the old adage goes "if it looks good it is good"   

jb512

Quote from: hatentx on July 18, 2008, 01:16:17 AM
I would have never though Starching or not starting would have been such a huge issue.

It's not.  You're witnessing a handful of stubborn people talking about something that has absolutely no bearing on how they get their jobs done.  None of us are going to budge but we'll argue it till we get locked or we lose interest.

Dad2-4

Just remember: it's polish your shoes and iron your uniform, not the other way around.  ;D

davedove

Quote from: Dad2-4 on July 18, 2008, 01:22:17 PM
Just remember: it's polish your shoes and iron your uniform, not the other way around.  ;D

Oh man, after I went to all the trouble to put the creases in my boots and the spit shine on my field uniform. >:(
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

Quote from: hatentx on July 18, 2008, 01:16:17 AM
I would have never though Starching or not starting would have been such a huge issue. 

Its not.  Either you do it or you don't.  "Why" is based as much on trivial circumstances as any particularly supportable position.

What you are witnessing is a phenomenon of the internet forum known as "I can't stand to not get in the last word".
(I suffer from it myself, and some could argue that this posting is a manifestation.)

Because of this, rhetoric about trivial subjects is repeatedly raised higher and higher in an attempt to make an argument regarding subjects which do not justify the emotion or even the discussion time.

By the 2nd or 2rd page of postings you have people writing 3-page, multi-quoted responses in an effort to head off in advance every anticipated counter to whether or not the ink on a form should be blue or black.

The reality is that 95% of the postings on this board are either announcement-based information, which in themselves require no comment, or answered in 1-2 responses with regulation-based answers that some people either don't like, or don't agree with, which then results in the histrionics and silly arguments we all get into.

And yes, if I don't like it I don't have to read it, but at a minimum we should all recognize it for what it is.

"That Others May Zoom"

hatentx

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jb512

Quote from: lordmonar on July 18, 2008, 07:31:35 PM
Quote from: hatentx on July 18, 2008, 05:32:27 PM
Last word >:D

Last Word >:D

Taking bets now... person closest to the time this thread gets locked, without going over.

arajca

mikeylikey

Usually its Stonewall, but I will give it a go!
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

Last word.

Unless another moderator or administrator posts.
Mike Johnston