Main Menu

Chaplain Promotions

Started by Flying Pig, May 10, 2008, 05:31:44 PM

Chappie

Quote from: DogCollar on September 10, 2008, 06:49:49 PM
I can't believe that this thread got resurrected!!!  Chaplains do have some different standards than other tracks.  I wouldn't say it is easier, or harder...just...different.  That being said, a chaplain that just does what is required in the chaplaincy track is really doing him/herself a disservice in my opinion.  I have taken SLS and AFIADL 13 in addition to what is required in the Chaplains track.  I have also gone to two consecutive Chaplain Service Staff Colleges.  When I take CLC (and I hope to do that soon) I will have all that's required of professional development Level III.  This has helped me (I think...I hope) gain some extra credibility with both the seniors and cadets that I work with...all high achievers.

As far as Chaplains and the chain of command...that chaplains stand outside the chain of command is a misunderstanding.  Actually we have a duel command structure.  We are accountable to the commanding officer of the unit we relate too, AND we are accountable to supervisory chaplains as well (Wing and Region Chaplains, etc...).  Yes, the above poster is correct.  We don't have the authority of command, but we definitely do not fall outside the command structure.

In my opinion, ALL CAP Chaplains should strongly consider the following training:

1.  Meeting the requirements of Specialty Track 221, 221A and 221B(when developed)
2.  Take both Squadron Leadership School and Corporate Leadership School.
3.  Attend Chaplain Service Staff Colleges.
4.  Take AFIADL 13.
5.  Achieve Mission Chaplain rating
6.  If possible...achieve another rating (i.e. GTM, Mission Observer, Radio Operator, etc...)
7.  If possible...take Group Crisis Intervention in CISM.  It's good to be familiar with CISM even if you don't serve on a CISM team.
8.  If possible...attend Summer Encampment as a chaplain, even for a day!

Some of these things I have done, and others I am working on.  It has been well worth the time and effort.

Says a hearty "Amen."  Could not have said it better.  One of the goals that I set when I served as a Wing Chaplain was to see members of our chaplain service pursue their professional development.    I sought to lead our members by example...which meant attaining my GRW, participating in Cadet activities (including encampments), serving on staffs for SLS. CLC, UCC, as well as Chaplain Service Region Staff College and National Staff College, attaining the Mission Chaplain rating, and the list goes on.

As Chaplain Bill has rightfully observed, Chaplains gain creditability with both seniors and cadets when they see chaplains who have taken the same journey as they have in their participation of activities and their pursuit of their training. 
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)