Main Menu

Tactical Vests

Started by isuhawkeye, March 23, 2008, 11:10:02 PM

isuhawkeye

SAR teams around the world have regularly worn surplus, or modified military load bearing vests.  Unfortunately the old LBE's and H harnesses were usually built with dismounted infantry in mind.  With our military currently fighting a conflict that causes them to work, move, and ride very similar to a SAR team I began to wonder.

Have other SAR responders noticed a change in the vests that are available?

If so, what have you found?

Have you changed your kit based upon these findings?

CAP gear has a great article on this subject, and I was hoping to see what others have done.

IceNine

I personally use a Helo Pilot Vest for my 24 Gear, there is nothing on the back so I can sit in vehicle with it on comfortably get in and out and have no problem doing it.

I Use a Molle Ruck for my 72 which fits nicely and comfortably over my helo vest
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

JohnKachenmeister

I use a simple tactical vest that holds all of my 24-hour gear, which, coincidentally, also makes a great survival gear vest for flying.  I use plastic soap dishes from the BX to hold gear, and stick the soap dishes down the rifle magazine pouches.  I keep 1 mag pouch empty, and use that for an aircraft handheld radio as a backup comm. with the aircraft.  The inside has zippered mesh pouches that can hold my poncho and my orange safety vest.  It has a belt at the bottom, to which I clip a standard military canteen.

The pistol mag pouches are great for holding smoke flares.

The vest was about $50 from Cheaper-n-Dirt.
Another former CAP officer

MikeD

What's cheaper then dirt?  IceNine or John, can you drop a link to the google-fu impaired?

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

isuhawkeye

thanks guy,

how about the big names like blackhawk, etc.  Is anyone using those

adamblank

I use the Blackhawk Strike Omega vest.  It is excellent quality.  Blackhawk seems to be the vest of choice for AF Security Forces at least from what I have seen.  I think the vest is durable and not too pricey.  Where Blackhawk gets you is all the extra pouches if you buy from them, they get extremely expensive.
Adam Brandao

BigMojo

I use this as opposed to a vest.

At the risk of being a murse (man-purse), it's very comfortable, and I can carry my entire 24hr kit on it if need be. Quick, and simple, lives behind the seat in my truck, and is always ready to go. Worth every penny.
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=4&idproduct=31

AND

If CAP ever lets me us my CCW permit, it will fit very nicely in there, as it's designed for it.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

♠SARKID♠

FANNY PACK!  OPEN FIRE ON THE MURSE!  Yeah I don't think I could ever wear that.

davidsinn

Quote from: BigMojo on March 24, 2008, 03:03:59 PM
Pic redacted
I can carry my entire 24hr kit on it if need be.

Say what? I would love to know how you do that.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

BigMojo

I have a couple other pouches the attach to it, that I keep my ponch, an emergency bivy, and some food stuffs in, water bottle has a holster, that snaps around the main strap. It can carry all my 24hr gear, but if I know I'm going to be out that long, I have a better pack. It's bigger than it looks....

If I remember, I'll empty everything out of it, and take a picture tonight.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

Dragoon

Every kind of load bearing equipment is a compromise.

The vest maximizes ready access to items (so you can grab a fresh magazine or grenade under fire).  It maximizes balance (spreads the weight all around).  It also minimizes the wearer's size (making it easier to fit through doors and hatches).

On the other hand, vests tend to be hotter, as they cover up more of your torso.  They also aren't as good at carrying large or irregular shaped objects as a day pack can. 

I actually prefer the day pack - I can more easily customize my load if I have to hump some extra items (like, say an LPER,  some portion of the team medical kit or extra rations.) 

I don't really need to pass through small doorways (I can take it off when I get in the van).  I've never experienced the need for the better weight distribution, as our load isn't that heavy.   And I don't really need much that much split-second ready access - with the exception of a few small items (compass, whistle, flashlight), we normally have the luxury of taking a moment to stop before we pull something out. 

Plus it's cheaper.  But to each his own.

I do think a vest is a good idea for aircrew - there are so many little things you need in flight, and it's real hard to get to the baggage compartment if you're the pilot.   :)

Eeyore

I have a Blackhawk medic vest (I got it for free, so it was a good deal) and I have found that I prefer the day pack (I use the Camelbak Talon). I suppose I could get the vest to work if I spent some time setting up the pouches.

I do like the distribution of weight, the day pack makes my shoulders pretty sore by the end of the day. I carry a camera and camera equipment when I'm in the field, which adds some extra weight. I just don't want to miss out on that one great picture, it's the PAO in me.

DNall

Yeah I agree. The stuff that's avail from DRMO is best for 99% of people. I really don't think 24hr gear should be a major investment. I've got a couple cool items, but honestly cheap & durable are best.

Now if I could go to an orange molle vest or just attach reflective strips to my stuff & thereby get rid of the outer orange vest the interferes with my gear, I'd do that for sure.

Eeyore

Yeah, the orange reflective stuff is a pain with the vest. I haven't seen any way of not wearing the vest over the tac vest that is within the spirit of the reg. I've seen a few people just use the orange reflective belts around the tac vest, but I don't really think a strip of orange is what the reg means.

isuhawkeye

thanks for all of the input.  We are aware of the cost benefits of free gear, but I am specifically looking for ground teamer's who use tac vests. 

So far I have heard

1.  Black hawk medic
2. Black hawk shrike
3. Air Crew vest.

Whose got more?

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Dragoon on March 24, 2008, 08:42:03 PM
Every kind of load bearing equipment is a compromise.

The vest maximizes ready access to items (so you can grab a fresh magazine or grenade under fire).  It maximizes balance (spreads the weight all around).  It also minimizes the wearer's size (making it easier to fit through doors and hatches).

On the other hand, vests tend to be hotter, as they cover up more of your torso.  They also aren't as good at carrying large or irregular shaped objects as a day pack can. 

I actually prefer the day pack - I can more easily customize my load if I have to hump some extra items (like, say an LPER,  some portion of the team medical kit or extra rations.) 

I don't really need to pass through small doorways (I can take it off when I get in the van).  I've never experienced the need for the better weight distribution, as our load isn't that heavy.   And I don't really need much that much split-second ready access - with the exception of a few small items (compass, whistle, flashlight), we normally have the luxury of taking a moment to stop before we pull something out. 

Plus it's cheaper.  But to each his own.

I do think a vest is a good idea for aircrew - there are so many little things you need in flight, and it's real hard to get to the baggage compartment if you're the pilot.   :)

You have cited the exact reasons I use a vest rather than a pack.  I had a pack, but I was always leaving it in the van.  Why have one if I don't wear it?  Whenever I needed something, it was back in the van.

Also, I am also aircrew-qualified.  I wanted something that would be convenient is BOTH roles... GT and AC.
Another former CAP officer

nesagsar

I use an OV-10 Bronco vest most of the time.

isuhawkeye

I'm not familiar with that one, can you please provide some info?

SAR-EMT1

Does anyone use the CPF 90 ?

I was thinking about getting one and using the patrol pack for 24 gear and the main ruck for 72. OR the main ruck for the mission gear and the patrol pack to hold a 1st Responder/BLS medkit.

Thoughts/comments.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student