Sizing for a service coat

Started by ♠SARKID♠, March 17, 2008, 04:23:59 AM

♠SARKID♠

How do I figure out what size service coat I need to order?

mynetdude

Dan, do you have a supply of them in your squadron's supply/uniform closet? If so, go try a few on and then read the size tags.

If not... that is a good question.  I know I have a size 17 AF blue shirt but I have no idea what my sleeve size is because I had it custom tailored because when I got it, it was too long for me.

I want to buy me a white aviator shirt, however I can't because military sizes are so confuzzling and I wished they would use the civilian size standards like M, L, XL, and so on.

A.Member

Do you live near a base?  If so, best thing to do is stop by their clothing store/BX and try some on.  FWIW, my civilian sizing matches up well but you should still expect some minor alterations.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

♠SARKID♠

QuoteInsert Quote
Dan, do you have a supply of them in your squadron's supply/uniform closet? If so, go try a few on and then read the size tags.

Negative.  We have lots of service coats, but none near my size (I'm a big boy)

QuoteDo you live near a base?

Sorta kinda.  The nearest is the 128th ANG base on the lower east side of Milwaukee.  But I don't even know if I can get access to the base nor do I know the size of their CS/BX.

mynetdude

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 17, 2008, 06:37:12 AM
QuoteInsert Quote

Negative.  We have lots of service coats, but none near my size (I'm a big boy)

QuoteDo you live near a base?

Sorta kinda.  The nearest is the 128th ANG base on the lower east side of Milwaukee.  But I don't even know if I can get access to the base nor do I know the size of their CS/BX.

I don't know much about base access, granted not every base will let CAP onto their bases.  I'd see if you can call their PBX or whatever its called and speak to the PBX supervisor and explain to them that you're CAP and you need AF service coat and whether or not they have them because if they don't that ends your search there and need for access.

If they DO, then see if they would be willing to let you and your parent(s) onto base.  If not, then I would talk to your squadron commander and have them contact the base or whatever needs to be done.

ColonelJack

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 17, 2008, 04:23:59 AM
How do I figure out what size service coat I need to order?

First, what is your suit size?

If you don't know that ... the best thing to do is take a tape measure and make two measurements:  one around the chest and one around the waist.  The chest measurement is your "suit size."  You'll also want a sleeve length measurement; that, along with your height, is your "length" (short, regular, long, extra-long).

I had a Wing CC a while back who was a big fellow -- within height/weight guidelines, but still a big guy.  Off-the-rack service coats just didn't happen for him; he had to have his made.  Looked pretty sharp, too.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

mikeylikey

If you can't do measurements at home, go find a tailor, or go to the nearest Macy's, boscov's or sears and try on jackets until you find one that fits.  Then (I always found at least) to order one size larger in the jacket and pants as they run small.

Do you have the AAFES MCSS catalog to order from.  Inside you should find measuring instructions.  If not go to AE.com and check out the instructions they post on line for measuring for jackets. 

Good luck.  Looking at your pic I would have to say you are probably a 52 or 54.

Let me know if I was even close on the size........ ;D
What's up monkeys?

ColonelJack

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 17, 2008, 04:08:30 PM
Good luck.  Looking at your pick I would have to say you are probably a 52 or 54.

Rotsa ruck finding a 54 service coat.  The biggest size I've seen is at The Hock Shop, and it only runs to 52s.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

mikeylikey

^ AAFES carries that size.  SARKID....why don't you want the new Corporate service coat?   >:D
What's up monkeys?

mynetdude

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 17, 2008, 05:53:32 PM
^ AAFES carries that size.  SARKID....why don't you want the new Corporate service coat?   >:D

Uh, cuz you can't wear the corporate service coat with your AF style uniform???

mikeylikey

Quote from: mynetdude on March 17, 2008, 05:55:33 PM

Your right!  It would entail buying a new white aviator shirt!  So you can wear the same blue pants, and the same blue flight cap, and the same insignia on the coat.  So SARKID would only be buying a new jacket (corporate) and a new white shirt (of the aviator variety).  So actually you can wear the corporate service coat with AF style, minus the blue shirt of course!!!
What's up monkeys?

mynetdude

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 17, 2008, 06:34:52 PM

Your right!  It would entail buying a new white aviator shirt!  So you can wear the same blue pants, and the same blue flight cap, and the same insignia on the coat.  So SARKID would only be buying a new jacket (corporate) and a new white shirt (of the aviator variety).  So actually you can wear the corporate service coat with AF style, minus the blue shirt of course!!!

Well I guess you could say its half and half... half corporate and half AF style :D!

♠SARKID♠

Well, considering I wear corporates right now anyways....

mikeylikey

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 17, 2008, 08:38:37 PM

Really?  woo-hoo.......then they absolutly will have your size!  Sorry before about suggesting you wear corporates~!  Me personally, I don't mind them, they are an alright looking uniform, and will be better when the silver braid disapears! 
What's up monkeys?

mynetdude

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 17, 2008, 09:21:47 PM

Really?  woo-hoo.......then they absolutly will have your size!  Sorry before about suggesting you wear corporates~!  Me personally, I don't mind them, they are an alright looking uniform, and will be better when the silver braid disapears! 

Silver Braid? Now why would that disappear, thats what officers wear at least on the AF style class A/B

JayT

Quote from: mynetdude on March 17, 2008, 11:26:31 PM

Silver Braid? Now why would that disappear, thats what officers wear at least on the AF style class A/B

Dr. Cox: Wrong wrong wrong wrong...wrong wrong wrong wrong...

Air Force officers wear a dark blue braid on their service jacket sleeve, and no braid on their short/long sleeve service uniforms.

STAMP OUT THE TERM CLASS A IN CAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

JayT

As soon as the sliver braid goes away, I might start wearing the corporate service uniform again.

How would everyone feel if we had a 'CAP' officers braid? Something a different color then the Air Force braid, and something that could be worn on both the Air Force style and Corporate Style?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

jimmydeanno

Quote from: JThemann on March 17, 2008, 11:37:04 PM
How would everyone feel if we had a 'CAP' officers braid? Something a different color then the Air Force braid, and something that could be worn on both the Air Force style and Corporate Style?

Like Ultramarine blue?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MIKE

Usually when talking about the Corporate Service Uniform combos you mention either "corporate" or TPU.

So, to clarify... You are looking for one of these:
Mike Johnston

Eagle400

Quote from: mynetdude on March 17, 2008, 11:26:31 PM

People want the silver sleeve and service cap braids to disappear from the CAP distinctive service dress uniform because:

1) They are out of place on a service dress uniform.

2) The Air Force only wears the silver braids on the mess dress, honor guard, and band uniforms.

3) The original reason for the silver sleeve and service cap braids on the CAP distinctive service dress uniform was due to the arrogance of a selfish CAP general who created this uniform to suit himself and make him look more "official." 

Now that the disgraced general is gone, a number of his dictator-like decisions have been overturned.  It would only make sense to overturn the decision to allow silver braids on the CAP distinctive service dress uniform, in addition to all the other stuff he did.

I honestly don't know why the item to remove the silver sleeve braids at the March NB Meeting was tabled indefinitely.