Main Menu

Cloth Insignia

Started by JCW0312, November 13, 2007, 11:22:00 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 15, 2008, 07:39:45 PM
Quote from: tjaxe on January 15, 2008, 07:37:35 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on January 15, 2008, 07:25:31 PM
I should have paid attention in Home Economics class.

That's my problem!!  Home Ec definitely hit one ear and zoomed right out the other!

I learned to sew on my own. The school I went to wouldn't let guys take Home Ec. Issues about proper gender roles and all.

Even such, I save a lot of money sewing my own uniforms over the years.

My wife did the sewing for years until one day I just sat down and read the instructions for the machine and haven't looked back since.  Our insignia can be laborious to align properly, and now I have no one to blame but myself if something isn't right.

Another tip regarding the iron-on sizing.  In a super-pinch, you can usually fudge a last-minute promotion using the heavy-duty stuff, but it won't survive a wash on the BDU's with the heavy cloth they use.

The other thing you can do, if you don't have access to your own machine, is iron-on everything in place and then just take it to the tailer and say "stitch this all down please".

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on January 15, 2008, 08:21:13 PM
The other thing you can do, if you don't have access to your own machine, is iron-on everything in place and then just take it to the tailer and say "stitch this all down please".

Hadn't thought of that, but that's a really good idea.

tjaxe

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 15, 2008, 08:22:15 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 15, 2008, 08:21:13 PM

Hadn't thought of that, but that's a really good idea.

AWESOME IDEA!!!  (sorry for screaming... just excited!)   :D

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

MIKE

I'm a little leery of using Stitch Witch on stuff you might need to take off before replacing the uniform... Even the wing patches tend to leave a little residue if you aren't real careful.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

I've never had much problem with it.

The wing patches left blue stains from the thread on a couple of my shirts, but after a wash or two on the BDU's they were fine.

I haven't seen anything from the sizing like you see on enlisted shirts from DRMO where yo can see all the detail of the insignia even after removal.

"That Others May Zoom"