Main Menu

Cloth Insignia

Started by JCW0312, November 13, 2007, 11:22:00 PM

JCW0312

Hi all. I'm back in CAP as a S/M after being a cadet many moons ago. Quick question for all. I know that the cloth rank for BDUs is supposed to be folded an sewn on (a slightly difficult task). I ordered the cloth EMT badge from the hock shop and it's really thick. Is it supposed to be folded as well, or???

Any hints on dealing with the cloth insignia is appreciated.

Thanks!
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

MIKE

This is why you are not supposed to buy cloth insignia from the Hock. JMHO.  No, I am not a paid spokesman for Vanguard.
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

For best results, I would highly recommend folding it.  When you fold it under, try to trim some of the excess away and iron it down, just watch those fingers!!!

If you don't fold it, the edges will fray unless you use one of those over edge stiching patterns they use on patches. (please don't :) )

As for the border, 1/8" is what you want all the way around.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JCW0312

So are the EMT badges from Vanguard thin like the rank insignia?
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

MIKE

Affirmative.  The Hock also has the thicker grade insignia... Have gotten both styles when ordering at different times.
Mike Johnston

jeders

The Hock's can be folded down as is and look just fine on my uniform. However, if you strip off that white mesh backing, it becomes much thinner and less stiff.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

If you use a really hot iron, you should be able to shape it correctly and make it easier for sewing.

I use iron-on sizing which, when done, results in a rigid square that can then be iron into place.

"That Others May Zoom"

LtCol White

There is a fabric glue called Alene's Super Tacky Glue. I use the glue on the fabric and let it set for about 1 min, fold it then hold it for about 2 mins and its done. Then you can put glue on the back and position in on your BDU's. Once the glue is dry (invisible), you can take it or give it to someone to machine sew and it will be perfectly placed. The first time you wash your uniform, the glue dislolves and is completely gone and your BDU's look really sharp.

You can use it for every patch or insignia on your uniform to lock it down before you have it professionally sewn.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Eclipse

Quote from: LtCol White on November 14, 2007, 01:22:02 AM
There is a fabric glue called Alene's Super Tacky Glue. I use the glue on the fabric and let it set for about 1 min, fold it then hold it for about 2 mins and its done. Then you can put glue on the back and position in on your BDU's. Once the glue is dry (invisible), you can take it or give it to someone to machine sew and it will be perfectly placed. The first time you wash your uniform, the glue dislolves and is completely gone and your BDU's look really sharp.

You can use it for every patch or insignia on your uniform to lock it down before you have it professionally sewn.

That's basically the same thing I'm doing and is the way to go - especially if you're not doing the sewing yourself.

Just be careful with the fabric glue, if you use too much it can bleed through the patch and leave an ugly smudge on the front side.

Also, many commercially-made patches come with iron-on glue already on the patch - that's what that clear, semi-stiff backing is.  Use an iron on high, and after heating, place the garment on something flat with some heavy books over the patch and let it cool.

In some cases you won't even need to sew it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cecil DP

If you want to avod all the hassles, take the uniforms to a base and have them sew it on at the tailor shop. Cost about $2 per patch. Actually most tailors or seamstresses can do it
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

JCW0312

OK, I really appreciate all of the replies. Why doesn't someone just make all the insignia with finished edges at the correct 1/8" measurement? I'd pay an extra buck per patch for it just to cut down on some of the hassle.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

Hawk200

Quote from: JCW0312 on November 14, 2007, 03:21:19 AM
Why doesn't someone just make all the insignia with finished edges at the correct 1/8" measurement?

Because that would make sense. Which someone would most likely get fired over.

Yes, the above remark is tongue firmly in cheek. But from what I've seen, it's also pretty accurate.

O-Rex

Quote from: Eclipse on November 14, 2007, 02:00:27 AM
Quote from: LtCol White on November 14, 2007, 01:22:02 AM

That's basically the same thing I'm doing and is the way to go - especially if you're not doing the sewing yourself.

Just be careful with the fabric glue, if you use too much it can bleed through the patch and leave an ugly smudge on the front side.

Also, many commercially-made patches come with iron-on glue already on the patch - that's what that clear, semi-stiff backing is.  Use an iron on high, and after heating, place the garment on something flat with some heavy books over the patch and let it cool.

In some cases you won't even need to sew it.

The problem with glue is if you have to change your patch or insignia, you're stuck.  Changing some insignia means changing it's position.  Example: you wear a ground team member badge and an aeronautical badge (wings)  you upgrade your GTM to Ground Team leader, which with the star is a slightly bigger badge.  Now you have to move the aeronautical badge up a bit, which you're not going to be able to do with glued cloth insignia.

Spend the money and have it done professionally: most glued stuff I've seen looks. . . .  well  . . . .  like it's been glued.

If you are so inclined, invest in a sewing machine, and get auntie to teach you to use it.  I got one for my birthday: my non-CAP buds laugh at me, fellow CAP'ers appreciate the need for one.  I swear it's literally saved me hundreds of dollars that I would have spent at the dryclean/sew shop, not to mention repair and modification of field and flight gear that I wouldn't have dreamed of otherwise.  

JCW0312

I would never dream of just gluing on a patch without sewing it, but using the glue to hold the folds on insignia and hold the patch in place while you sew sounds like a good idea.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

MIKE

ACUs and Velcro for the win!  :)
Mike Johnston

JCW0312

That's a little ways down the road I presume....
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

JCW0312

And the BDU caps are supposed to have rank on the front of them now, right? I think I read somewhere that it had been changed since the last revision of 39-1.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

MIKE

Mike Johnston

JCW0312

Just when I thought there was enough sewing....

Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

Eclipse

Quote from: JCW0312 on November 14, 2007, 03:59:06 AM
And the BDU caps are supposed to have rank on the front of them now, right? I think I read somewhere that it had been changed since the last revision of 39-1.

Yes - and THAT will definitely challenge your sewing ability, as will the epaulets on the M65.

In response to the glue - the iron-on sizing that I use does not leave any marks on removal, it is a very light adhesive.  The fabric glue is more of an issue if you use too much.

The glue on the patches from the factory is a legit problem - this can leave the white marks you'll see on a lot of enlisted uniforms we get from DRMO, and sometimes it just won't come off.

"That Others May Zoom"