Commmunications

Started by Jerry, July 27, 2005, 12:59:43 AM

whatevah

they're talking about AH/AI

and, to chime in... those are great and very under-used frequencies for us.  Of course, in my state we ONLY use the VHF freqs, since our state is too small to use HF, so the only mobile HF station you'll find is in our Mobile Command Center. ;)  We've got 3 repeaters covering pretty much the entire state (and a fair amount of nearby PA Wing's Group 3), and with our primary IC living where he can hit every repeater, we don't need anything more.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Jerry

So those 3 repeaters cover the state?  What happens if a disaster takes them out? Even one can leave a "gap" or hinder communications.  And there are no mobile HF stations at all? Even in a smaller state (and this is just *me*, not a criticizm) I wouldn't want to depend on fixed plant (repeaters and the power grid) to maintain my communications.

*Some* people DO depend on VHF either because they believe it is "modern" and HF is out-of-date, or because it is easier to install and equipment is cheaper.  Of course, each Wing is different and their requirements vary.  I am just saying *I* wouldn't be without HF
stations. I'd want a mixture of VHF AND HF, both mobile and base. :D

In North Carolina, we ARE geographically challenged as the state is over 500 miles across and 250 wide. We have deep mountain valleys, rolling hills, and flat, sandy terrain at the coast. We would be LOST without HF.  Sure, you can rely on repeaters, link them up thru computers, but if we suffered a disaster (and with the hurricane season we unfortunately DO!) we would be dead in the water. Repeater sites at the coast get knocked out by winds, towers FALL down, floods take out power grids, and the only way to compensate is with airborne repeaters (VERY expensive), mobile VHF and DF equipment, and ALL corporate vans are so equipped AND have HF on board.  Our squadron van has such as well as Doppler DF and HF ability to use ANY CAP HF frequency along with FEMA.  But, again, each Wing is different, and each manager's plan is different.  That's why we meet here to discuss, learn, and use what we read :D

Lt/Col Jerry Oxendine
NC-024

whatevah

we're really too small to use HF, considering our state is 90 miles long from tip to tip, there isn't a very large area in which we can use most HF freqs.

we've got battery and generator backup for our repeaters, and should a tower go down, we have a mobile repeater we can put up anywhere, or in a hi-bird.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Schmidty06

In Montana we're working on setting up HF as base, and possibly the backbone of our wing nets, and using VHF for more of the "tactical" close in stuff.  We don't have the money or equipment to set up HF in our vehicles (all three of them) right now.  We do have 1 mobile HF station and that is, of course, our wing comm van. 

Schmidty06

Also, we're beefing up our current VHF network.  We're setting up 6 or so repeaters that will cover most of the main squadrons and in Montana, through what I call the "passage ways" for radio communications (the line-of-sight routes through the mountain ranges connecting the dots, pretty much).  Specifically, that means from Billings to Bozeman, to Helena, and enough to cover Kalispell, Butte, Missoula and Great falls.  I doubt that we'll ever have a VHF net in Montana anywhere above the squadron (or maybe group, if we ever have those in MT) level. 

BillB

There are two problems with HF useage. First the average CAP member goes out and buys a VHF hand held. Why?  Cost! Now that all frequencies are "secret" the average member has no idea what frequencies are in use in his Wing/Region.  And access to the National Techology site is restricted so unless he is a dyed in the wool communicator, he doesn't try to access it.  Probably 99% of any use of communications the average member has would be within a 5 mile area, or ground to air for missions, and how many CAP aircraft have HF capability.
While I can hit the ham repeater from an airport 20 miles away, I can't hit the local CAP repeater with either a Tate in a CAP vehicle or handheld. Some CAP repeaters need to be better located or antennna height raised. At this summers, Florida Wing Encampment, VHF was used locally, but nobody knew the frequencies or tones to access two area repeaters. So the only method of communications was by cell phone. HF would have worked in thsi situation, but communicators weren't contacted to furnish equipment.
As to HF equipment that is complient, National needs to list ONLY complient equipment instead of listing every model of every brand of radio on the market. Takes forever to find what equipment can be purchased. Listing the price would also be nice.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

arajca

On the list page, there is a link to "All compliant radios" for both the VHF and HF lists.

1730614cfii

My squadron is planning to purchase a VHF transceiver, primarily for ground team use.  The problem is deciding which of the many available kinds we should buy.   Will CAP units, during SAR or Homeland Defense or any other activities, in the foreseable future, be using digital communications or any form of trunking?  Should we buy a P-25 compliant transceiver,or is narrowband compliant adequate?  Are there any rigs available that also have aircraft band AM built in.

whatevah

that's really a question you should direct to your wing Director of Communications. Each wing probably has their own intentions on how they plan on using P25.  We don't use it much, since we only have a few Johnson radios floating around, but they're sure handy when you want or need some privacy on the air.

And, since (I think!) that all radios purchased with DOD-appropriated funds must be P25 capable, you might HAVE to get a P25, depending on where you hope to get the money from.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Jerry

Today I monitored several HF frequencies including FEMA, SHARES and, of course, CAP.  At one point, the Shares net was holding traffic for the stricken area (New Orleans) but there were NO HF stations to pass it to. Often this IS the case when the designated "rescuer" becomes the "rescuee" (if there's such a word).  But it points out something that I brought up further up in this topic--the importance of effective HF mobile stations to provide flexibility, reliability, speed, and deploy-ability into a disaster area. This lack of HF communications is something with which I strongly disagree and object to.  Our VHF network is quite effective in TACTICAL communications close in, but when the message positively, absolutely must get thru, it is where we fail :o  to recognize our actual dependence of HF as an essential part of our communications "toolbox". Today, if we had had frequency-agile CAP HF mobiles, perhaps, this message would've been passed in a timely manner.  I hate to see this--even in just ONE instance, it represents a communications failure.

So that's the reason I URGE all communications managers to evaluate your
communications plans and see what part HF is playing in your "toolbox".  Are you relying on VHF and repeaters? Sure, you *may* not have a large geographical area, but what if that area is under water?  What if IC's need to know what assistance to bring, but they can't reach the stricken area because those repeaters (or antennas) are down. Why not have 2-3 HF mobiles available to deploy when needed?  Do we think HF is "too much trouble", or  the antennas are "too  ugly", or the equipment is just too expensive? Can we get around those problems if it saves lives--or just makes our jobs easier? Can we truly foresee a disaster and say confidently that, NO, we don't need HF?  I listened to such a need today! :'(

Lt/Col Jerry Oxendine
Communications Officer, NC-024

whatevah

yup, this has really brought to mind that we do need to keep our HF network up to date.

At the conference, it was mentioned amongst some Comm people that eventually, every CAP van will have an HF ALE unit.  Not sure of the specifics of how long it'll take.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Jerry

yeah, and one of those stupid "auto-tuners" with it.  Combine that with a steel whip and you've got a good dummy load on MA or MC. I'll keep my efficient, fully resonant mobile antenna, thank you ;) :D

BTW,

With the ALE, its gonna sample all the frequencies available to it at the time, right?  If you've got other frequencies programmed in, what's to keep it from landing on a "non- CAP" frequency, OR how do you select SPECIFIC frequencies for agencies outside CAP? Interesting.

Jerry