AE is a blast literally (pix included)

Started by Walkman, November 02, 2007, 10:06:48 PM

Walkman

Our Chaplian works in IT for ATK Launch Systems, the guys that make the space shuttle's booster and are building the next gen ARES rocket (formerly Thoikol).

He set up a great full day AE event for us. First we visited the Rocket Garden, which is an outdoor history of the engines ATK has built over the years (including Gemini & Apollo). We then had a presentation from a engineer on the history and future of space exploration. Jose Montero was a child in Costa Rica when Armstrong & Co. landed, and that inspired his rag-to-riches American Dream story.

Following Montero, we had Kent Rominger speak to us. Kent was a Navy test pilot that went on command 5 shuttle missions to the ISS. He spoke about life as an astronaut and showed some incredible pictures taken from the shuttle & ISS. HE spoke to us for about 35 minute and answered a ton of questions. Great guy, his dad was in CAP.

Following lunch, our champion Color Guard performed an opening flag ceremony for that day's rocket engine static test. That baby burned for about 4 minutes. Lots of smoke & noise. That blast was so bright, it hurt my eyes even though we were about 1/2 mile away.

We finished up by directing traffic out of the test area.

AND, we made the front page of today's paper with a story about our cadets providing service (they used a pix of me as well!).

All in all, awesome day.

SJFedor

As long as no one gets hurt, it'd be kinda funny to watch the static booster rocket break loose and go flying around.

Sounds really neat, why wasn't I invited?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Major Lord

Who is the one with the illegally tucked boots, black beret, and sleeves rolled too high?  Bad, bad Cadet!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Walkman

Quote from: Major Lord on November 03, 2007, 05:42:21 AM
Who is the one with the illegally tucked boots, black beret, and sleeves rolled too high?  Bad, bad Cadet!

Major Lord

c/TSGT "C". Actually, it's a Blue Beret (think he's been twice...). He's pretty Hoo-ah. Turns 18 soon, heading into the Marine Infantry.

How can you tell his boots are wrong from that crappy pic? 'Course, it could be obvious, but I wouldn't be able to tell anyway, I'm still the new guy. ;D

Major Lord

Quote from: Walkman on November 03, 2007, 06:35:20 AM

Major Lord

c/TSGT "C". Actually, it's a Blue Beret (think he's been twice...). He's pretty Hoo-ah. Turns 18 soon, heading into the Marine Infantry.

How can you tell his boots are wrong from that crappy pic? 'Course, it could be obvious, but I wouldn't be able to tell anyway, I'm still the new guy. ;D

After a while, you can smell when the cadets are tucking in boots, "ranger rolling" their covers, or sewing backwards flags on in your sleep. Remember, the cadets may look cute, but they will kill you and everyone you love given half a chance....
I wish this cadet the best of luck and happy hunting in the Corp. I can forgive his uniform faux pas if he is dedicated to serving his Country and the USMC!

Major Lord
America! Foxtrot Yankee!
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

NIN

There is a law against tucked boots?

Against regulations or policy, maybe. Illegal? Doubtful.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

floridacyclist

AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 36-2903, DRESS AND PERSONAL APPEARANCE
OF AIR FORCE PERSONNEL

"Blouse trousers over combat boots or tuck trousers into boots to give a bloused effect. Blousing is defined as: to gather in and drape loosely (cannot be folded or have a tapered look)".

I can't see if his trouser legs are tapered, but I see no problem with tucking them in...it's how I've done mine since I was a cadet.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

floridacyclist

Do you have a different definition of blousing that contradicts that?
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 04, 2007, 02:30:40 AM
No, I was just giving you a hard time :)

As you well should.  FLWG people are trouble.   ;)

Eclipse

Quote from: floridacyclist on November 04, 2007, 01:48:25 AM

Yes - at least in as much as ticking in your trousers without the bloused effect is not correct.

If your pants look like Laura Petrie's leggings, you're not doing it correctly.

"That Others May Zoom"

Dad2-4

"Who's Laura Petrie?" is what some cadets and younger SMs may ask. Quick, who can Wiki it first? ;D

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

floridacyclist

Quote from: Eclipse on November 04, 2007, 03:52:02 AM
Quote from: floridacyclist on November 04, 2007, 01:48:25 AM

Yes - at least in as much as ticking in your trousers without the bloused effect is not correct.

You mean like how the reg states that the pants will not be folded or have a tapered look? I think that's pretty clear.

To return to topic, someone mentioned how bright it was..I remember seeing videotape of LOX-aided fires and how they always made the camera go dark. THere used to be a professor who started charcoal grills with LOX (it started as a contest at the school of engineering to see who could get a grill going fastest) and it had the same effect.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on November 04, 2007, 03:52:02 AM

Jeez, Bob, you're really showing your age with that one. I'm only a year younger and it nearly went over my head.

:)

Back in my day in the Army, "blousing" was accomplished w/o blousing bands, etc. They wanted you to tuck your trousers into your boot and that was that. (early days of BDUs) I had been a cadet for 5 years, so I had blousing rubbers and preferred that method. I felt that it did a better, cleaner job and didn't cut off my circulation like having an extra layer or two of trouser fabric stuffed into my boot tops.  We were cautioned to avoid the so-called "peg leg" look (also referred to as the "George Washington look" but I never quite got that..) and to just have them blouse/hang naturally.

This one young SP4 in our personnel services company when I was in Korea liked to peg-leg and WRAP his trousers around his leg. (imagine pegging your BDUs at the bottom, and then wrapping the extra fabric from all the way up the leg from the back to the front, so that it folded your cargo pocket nearly in half.)  The guy looked like MC Hammer in BDUs.  He even pinned the extra material around the knees so it wouldn't "fall out" during the day. It just looked... stupid.

So he got told "Stop doing that, its not per AR 670-1."  (he also had very stylish glasses with letters adorning the lenses, multiple rings per hand, etc, necklaces showing at the collar, etc.)  He didn't listen.  Then one day he was a rather chastened looking PFC instead of an SP4.  He wasn't wearing all the rest of his BS bling-bling.

Sucks when you get a field-grade article 15 and they take a stripe and some pay 'cuz you wanted to be stylish..

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.