It's gettin' chilly in the mountains...

Started by Walkman, September 26, 2007, 08:29:38 PM

Walkman

I tried looking this up in 39-1, but couldn't find it. I'm sure it's in there...

What is authorized outwear for uniforms? Do I need to get an M65 coat/liner for my BDUs and a service dress coat for the Blues, or can I wear my regular jacket in the winter?

Also, this is a probably a dumb question, but what does TPU stand for? I keep seeing that in the uniform discussions.

Eclipse

TPU = derogatory term for the new-style corporate service coat, and/or service dress combination with white shirt, blue name tag and metal grade insignia. (Tony Pineda Uniform).

When you are in a USAF-Style uniform, the only outerwear you are authorized to wear is the appropriate USAF-style jacket, etc., as prescribed by 39-1.

In BDU's, the only thing authorized is either the M65 field jacket, or the gortex parka - both require insignia, the parka requires a grade tab, which at last check Vanguard was still producing.

In service dress (blues), you can wear the lightweight jacket (also referred to as the waist jacket or windbreaker), or the all-weather coat (trench coat).  Both require grade insignia.

You are not allowed to wear civilian outerwear over USAF-style uniforms, nor mix parts (i.e. M65 over the blues).

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

Thanks.

I figured that was the case, I just couldn't find it in the regs.

TPU-LOL.

Ned

Quote from: Eclipse on September 26, 2007, 08:39:17 PM
TPU = derogatory term for the new-style corporate service coat, and/or service dress combination with white shirt, blue name tag and metal grade insignia. (Tony Pineda Uniform).

FWIW, I've never considered "TPU" a derogatory term.  It is a simple, short acronym for "new-style corporate service coat, and/or service dress combination with white shirt, blue name tag and metal grade insignia."

We have short and/or snappy terms to refer to every other uniform -- BDU, BBDU, "grey ghost" or even "blues" that serve us well in informal conversations and on the internet.

When the "new-style corporate service coat, and/or service dress combination with white shirt, blue name tag and metal grade insignia" first came out, some of us found it somewhat awkward to refer to it by that description.

I suspect that is why the designation "TPU" came into wide use. 

I don't think refering to the "Ridgeway Cap" (aod style Army fatigue cap used in Korean War era) as such was derogatory to GEN Mathew Ridgeway.  Do you?

Same thing.

YMMV.

Eagle400

Quote from: Eclipse on September 26, 2007, 08:39:17 PMIn service dress (blues), you can wear the lightweight jacket (also referred to as the waist jacket or windbreaker)...

Heh heh heh... you got that from some guy on CadetStuff.   :D

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on September 26, 2007, 08:39:17 PM... the parka requires a grade tab, which at last check Vanguard was still producing.

Those are actually available now (finally). Got mine in an order last week. As has been posted here before, they are wide, you might want to resew it to a little narrower.

Quote from: ♠1 on September 26, 2007, 10:44:30 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 26, 2007, 08:39:17 PMIn service dress (blues), you can wear the lightweight jacket (also referred to as the waist jacket or windbreaker)...

Heh heh heh... you got that from some guy on CadetStuff.   :D

Not necessarily. The term is an old one that a few people still use.

O-Rex

the parka requires a grade tab, which at last check Vanguard was still producing.

Vanguard now carries them.

JAFO78

I am sorry to hear that it is getting cool in Utah. We will think about you here in FL.
JAFO

Walkman

Quote from: RobG on September 28, 2007, 12:23:22 PM
I am sorry to hear that it is getting cool in Utah. We will think about you here in FL.

LOL.
If you ever feel the need for some serious skiing, call me. Great Snow on Earth.  ;D

JC004

You are not allowed to wear civilian outerwear over USAF-style uniforms, nor mix parts (i.e. M65 over the blues).

ACTUALLY...

Table 2-3. Men's and Women's Battle Dress Uniforms
(Double-breasted All-weather Coat)
Stand-up collar, six-button front, shoulder epaulets with buttons, sleeve
straps with buckles, split raglan and set in the back. Coat will fit loosely
enough to accommodate shoulders of BDU without binding at armholes
when arms are moved; sleeves will extend 1/2 inch beyond BDU
sleeves; length of coat will fall between knee length to 6 inches below
back crease of knee; top button may be left unbuttoned.

;)