What happened to crushed caps and cigarettes...

Started by jb512, September 24, 2007, 07:23:10 AM

Hawk200

Quote from: Pylon on September 25, 2007, 03:14:14 AMWhat's wrong with the duck butt thing?  My old squadron commander does it.  A retired USAF Lt Col fighter pilot with 91 combat missions, the Air Medal & MSM, and a litany of other decorations and accomplishments to his name.   I think he has the right to wear his flight cap how he well pleases.

It looks like a ducks butt to me, or maybe like the tail end of a goose. Which is why I think it looks idotic. Just the way I see it.

SAR-EMT1

I want to know why Service Caps disappeared from routine wear.
99% of AF personnel wear the overseas cap, even in CONUS!
Bring back mandatory wear of the Service Cap for CONUS stationed personnel.
Save facial hair and smoking and [excessive] drinking for the Brits.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

flyerthom

Quote from: mikeylikey on September 24, 2007, 07:15:44 PM
Cigarettes give you Cancer, and crushed caps look ridiculous!  Give it up folks, it's not 1941.  They should prohibit all forms of tobacco in the military to begin with.  It would cut down on TRICARE costs to the tax payers.  HELL....there are times when you can't smoke in combat, because it will give your position away.  Tobacco is the most recognizable and distinctive odor around, bet you didn't know that. 

Believe me when I tell you this, Lower GI Bleed is FAR more ah distinct.
TC

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: flyerthom on September 25, 2007, 05:46:04 AM
Cigarettes give you Cancer, and crushed caps look ridiculous!  Give it up folks, it's not 1941.  They should prohibit all forms of tobacco in the military to begin with.  It would cut down on TRICARE costs to the tax payers.  HELL....there are times when you can't smoke in combat, because it will give your position away.  Tobacco is the most recognizable and distinctive odor around, bet you didn't know that. 

I can of course back you up on this but how many folks know what it smells like?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

jb512

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 25, 2007, 04:03:39 AM
Quote from: Pylon on September 25, 2007, 03:14:14 AMWhat's wrong with the duck butt thing?  My old squadron commander does it.  A retired USAF Lt Col fighter pilot with 91 combat missions, the Air Medal & MSM, and a litany of other decorations and accomplishments to his name.   I think he has the right to wear his flight cap how he well pleases.

It looks like a ducks butt to me, or maybe like the tail end of a goose. Which is why I think it looks idotic. Just the way I see it.

I think it looks just fine, especially if you've actually earned it.

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on September 25, 2007, 06:03:33 AM

I can of course back you up on this but how many folks know what it smells like?

Good question, but once ya smell it...
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Hawk200

Quote from: jaybird512 on September 25, 2007, 06:53:30 AM

Earned it? How exactly do you earn it? Especially when the reason that it ended up like that in the past doesn't happen anymore?

BlueLakes1

Amen brother...picked up the worst one of my career about 2 weeks ago. Took 3 washes to get the stench out of my uniform.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

jb512

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 25, 2007, 01:08:16 PM

Earned it? How exactly do you earn it? Especially when the reason that it ended up like that in the past doesn't happen anymore?

I'm quite certain you could ask anyone who has and they'd be happy to tell you.  There have been two pretty good examples in this thread alone.

isuhawkeye

The air force is often criticized for not having any history or tradition.  to me its ashame that the crusher caps fell out of style

JohnKachenmeister

The crushed caps were an affectation to separate the Army Air Forces from the other two major commands then, the Army Ground Forces and the Army Service Forces.  The claim was that the aviator's headsets would not fit over the service cap unless the grommet was removed.

But...

Once the Army Air Corps became the US Air Force, two things happened very quickly:

1.  All "Pursuit" planes were re-designated "Fighters,"  and

2.  Crushed service caps were abolished.
Another former CAP officer

Hawk200

Quote from: jaybird512 on September 25, 2007, 03:46:43 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on September 25, 2007, 01:08:16 PM

I'm quite certain you could ask anyone who has and they'd be happy to tell you.  There have been two pretty good examples in this thread alone.

You can think it looks cool, and I'll continue to think that it looks idiotic untill someone provides me with sufficient reason to think otherwise. Guess we'll agree to disagree.

flyerthom

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on September 25, 2007, 06:03:33 AM

Anyone within a logable cross country's distance ...
TC

Cecil DP

Maybe you haven't noticed that with the exception of the Color Guards and Formal uniforms everyone wears the " flight cap". The services would rather spend $5-6 for the flight cap, than issue the service cover which is about $30.

BTW  I guess JP-4 fumes don't ignite in Thailand.  Why else would General Olds be smoking on the flight line in this picture?
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

JohnKachenmeister

Olds and his cigarette:

For one thing, he is more than 50 feet from the aircraft.  For another thing, JP-4 is hard to light.  MoGas is more likely to explode.  Lastly, he's an O-6, and has the authority to suspend the Laws of Physics.

Cecil DP

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on September 26, 2007, 04:45:32 AM
Olds and his cigarette:

For one thing, he is more than 50 feet from the aircraft.  For another thing, JP-4 is hard to light.  MoGas is more likely to explode.  Lastly, he's an O-6, and has the authority to suspend the Laws of Physics.

I guess when your daddy was a General and you're an O-6 you think you can suspend the laws of physics. But then so did that Colonel at Fairchild who decided he could do aerobatics in a B-52.  He was proven wrong.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

mikeylikey

^  Or fly nukes across the US and not get fired!
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

The nukes didn't worry me.  Until recently we used to have patrols up with nukes all the time, 24/7.  WIWAC, the B-52's used to land and take off from Wright Patterson at all kinds of odd hours, and all ready to fly to the Evil Empire and blast a few cities or bases off the face of the Earth.  One-third of the total SAC force was always in the air and always armed. 

JAFO78

JAFO