Only when I fly.
8 (9.6%)
Only while doing CAP stuff.
3 (3.6%)
Only when the military tells me to.
13 (15.7%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Flying Pig

Ive never worn them for CAP.  If I crash on a CAP mission they are going to know who I am.  As far as blood type, regardless of what it says on your tags, they are going to type your blood before they stick you anyway. The ER isnt going to take your dog tags word for it.  It takes them no time at all to do it.  Aside from you being an unknown soldier....nobody is going to kick your dog tags into your teeth and send you back home in a bag.  I could see an alergy tag though.  Besides....it pulls my manly chest hairs.

Eclipse

Quote from: ♠☆Recruiter☆♠ on September 21, 2007, 03:28:22 PM
CAP doesn't want you to put your blood type for some reason. On mine, it's set like this:

Its not that CAP "doesn't want" blood type on your tags - there are no specific guidelines for contents - just that CAP Mart, and I assume now Vanguard, would not make you a set to avoid the liability if you indicate wrong.

Mine are:

Last
First MI
SSN
Blood Type
Religion

Though frankly CAP members are rarely in a situation like combat where blood is needed with no time to type, so I doubt it'll make much difference.

I wear them whenever I am in uniform, or situations where I am traveling and if injured or incapactiated
being anonymous would be "inconvenient".

I also generally carry my CAP credentials when I travel.

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

I used to wear them, but I haven't for the past few years.

Mister Johnny

I always wear dog tags when Flying

I also wear them when I am on my daily run, just in case I have the grabber

RiverAux

Quote from: CaptLord on September 20, 2007, 11:21:05 PM
I bought a set from Nametapes.com, but just for fun. Like you, I don't carry LE or CAP ID when traveling. I don't think Haji is going to make fine distinctions when he is looking for someone to behead....If the bad guys show up on the airplane, try to look Canadian, eh, ya hosers?

Major Lord

Remember the CAP member who was detained in Cuba (I think) for a while in the late 1990s because he had his CAP ID with him?  I believe he was awarded some sort of POW award by the United Kingdom for it -- not sure why the UK would care though. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on September 21, 2007, 08:12:21 PM
Quote from: CaptLord on September 20, 2007, 11:21:05 PM
I bought a set from Nametapes.com, but just for fun. Like you, I don't carry LE or CAP ID when traveling. I don't think Haji is going to make fine distinctions when he is looking for someone to behead....If the bad guys show up on the airplane, try to look Canadian, eh, ya hosers?

Major Lord

Remember the CAP member who was detained in Cuba (I think) for a while in the late 1990s because he had his CAP ID with him?  I believe he was awarded some sort of POW award by the United Kingdom for it -- not sure why the UK would care though. 

He may not have been a US citizen - cause if he was, he is not legally allowed to be there without a LOT of hoops.

"That Others May Zoom"

CFI_Ed

I used to wear my old military ID tags but now I wear one of these.
http://www.roadid.com/common/id.aspx?hash=fixx#fixx  I saw the ad in a bicycling magazine; with the FIXX ID tag you can put  much more useful information on it.

(Note: I have no affiliation with this company other than being a wannabe roadie ;))
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

Hoser

If I wanted to wear dog tags I'd have stayed in the Coast Guard

NIN

I fly a lot, but mostly one way trips.  Don't want my tags sneaking out in freefall.  Plus I don't wear anything of that sort (jewelery, watch, necklace) to avoid snags and such. 

When I'm flying flying (as in "passenging") I wear that with my flight suit or under my BDUs.  As far as I'm concerned, they're part of my flight uniform.  I don't always wear them when I'm in BDUs at a squadron meeting.

When I wear ACUs, I tend to wear them, too.  Dunno why, force of habit, I guess....

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Stonewall

Quick trivia ref dog tags.

How many beeds on the large chain?  365

How many on the small?  52

It may be obvious, but why is this?  Anyone?  Beuller?

I learned this as a cadet and then it was talked about at SERE school.
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on September 21, 2007, 10:44:16 PM
Quick trivia ref dog tags.

How many beeds on the large chain?  365

How many on the small?  52

It may be obvious, but why is this?  Anyone?  Beuller?

I learned this as a cadet and then it was talked about at SERE school.

Seems to correspond to days and weeks. Is it that obvious, or something more subtle?

Eclipse

And those of us with bigger necks have longer chains...

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Don't quote me on the exact wording, but yes, they correspond to 365 days in a year and 52 weeks in a year.  If you're a POW or evading during survival conditions, I guess there is a way to separate the beads to count the days and weeks; keeping track of your time in captivity or elsewhere.
Serving since 1987.

O-Rex

I wear them when flying as a vestigial remnant of my former life when I got paid to do it for Uncle Sam: under the rolled collar of the flightsuit, and under the T-shirt (Don't know about the other services, but old-timers Ft. Rucker/Ft. Wolters alumni will understand.)

Some folks wear them "Vietnam-style" in their flight boot laces, which is a bit 'over the top' for CAP.

For me, it's more of a personal quirk than functionality: if you are unconscious/dying/dead in the red white & blue Cessna, chances are you'll be identified.

Hawk200

Quote from: O-Rex on September 22, 2007, 01:04:38 AM
I wear them when flying as a vestigial remnant of my former life when I got paid to do it for Uncle Sam: under the rolled collar of the flightsuit, and under the T-shirt (Don't know about the other services, but old-timers Ft. Rucker/Ft. Wolters alumni will understand.)

Still a tradition. I started aircrew training five weeks ago on Blackhawks, and my SI taught me that. I've even done it on a couple of flights as a mission scanner. Probably don't really need it in a Cessna, just been doing it out of habit.

DeputyDog

Quote from: Eclipse on September 21, 2007, 08:24:45 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on September 21, 2007, 08:12:21 PM
He may not have been a US citizen - cause if he was, he is not legally allowed to be there without a LOT of hoops.

He was a U.S. citizen. I believe he was going to Cuba to do archaeological research (memory is a bit hazy over that). He had permission to go based on the academic purpose of his trip. He was a professor at a university in Florida.

NIN

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 22, 2007, 03:12:01 AM
Still a tradition. I started aircrew training five weeks ago on Blackhawks, and my SI taught me that. I've even done it on a couple of flights as a mission scanner. Probably don't really need it in a Cessna, just been doing it out of habit.

That's my habit, too.

Had some dip-dunk Lt Col bark at me at a mission once about "allowing my jewelry to show." I pulled out my tags and said "At least my remains will go in the correct box. I'd prefer if yours weren't intermingled with mine..." That caused him to stop talking for awhile.

I worked with a student today who had his packing tool (small titanium bar with a 12-14" length of Spectra line attached, used for extra leverage when closing parachute containers) around his neck. I suggested he remove it when jumping, and he asked me why. I said "Unlike jewelry or dogtags, that Spectra and that titanium won't yield and snap if something gets hooked on it. Like during deployment.   Think about how strong that Spectra is and how not strong, in comparison, the flesh of your neck is."

He took it off.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

dougsnow

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 21, 2007, 03:43:55 PM
For the military, that's pretty much it, with SSN, and blood type by itself. The Army adds a third red tag if you have any medicinal allergies, but that seems to be an Army thing, I don't know if any other branches do it.

Marine Corps does as well - mine said ALLERGIC TO BEE STINGS - and all of my medical records from MEPS on were stamped in BIG letters with that, and on the cover of the medical records jacket.

NIN

Quote from: Stonewall on September 22, 2007, 01:02:13 AM
Don't quote me on the exact wording, but yes, they correspond to 365 days in a year and 52 weeks in a year.  If you're a POW or evading during survival conditions, I guess there is a way to separate the beads to count the days and weeks; keeping track of your time in captivity or elsewhere.

Hey, UK, I hate to rain on your parade on this one, but that's like the whole "Whats in the ball on top of the flagpole" thing.

I just came across three brown packets in my insignia box:

NSN 8465-00-261-6629
NECKLACE, PERSONNEL
IDENTIFICATION TAG
1 EACH
DLA 100-89-F-EF40
A/B 5-31-90

LOT NO. 7

They were stapled shut, so I opened one and counted the balls on the small chain.

Then I used it against the large chain. Counted out two lengths, then used that 90 on the large chain to count out 180, plus about 45 more. (Once I saw that it was a LOT shorter than 365, I moved into my "best guesstimate mode" for time saving).

So about 225 on the longer chain. 

They compare favorably, length-wise, to the two other sets of U.S. Army issued dog tags I have.

You don't happen to know where a guy can find 25 gallons of rotor wash, do ya?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: NIN on September 23, 2007, 04:55:55 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on September 22, 2007, 01:02:13 AM

Hey, UK, I hate to rain on your parade on this one, but that's like the whole "Whats in the ball on top of the flagpole" thing.

I just came across three brown packets in my insignia box:

NSN 8465-00-261-6629
NECKLACE, PERSONNEL
IDENTIFICATION TAG
1 EACH
DLA 100-89-F-EF40
A/B 5-31-90

LOT NO. 7

They were stapled shut, so I opened one and counted the balls on the small chain.

Then I used it against the large chain. Counted out two lengths, then used that 90 on the large chain to count out 180, plus about 45 more. (Once I saw that it was a LOT shorter than 365, I moved into my "best guesstimate mode" for time saving).

So about 225 on the longer chain. 

They compare favorably, length-wise, to the two other sets of U.S. Army issued dog tags I have.

You don't happen to know where a guy can find 25 gallons of rotor wash, do ya

Hey dude, I'm not one to pass on bad p00p.  I have personally counted DT chains before and it came up exactly 52 and 365.  Now I'm going to have to break out my DTs and see for myself, again.  Last time I counted, when I was that friggin bored, it came up to the amount said.

Seriously, I ain't pulling one of those newby jokes...

BTW, can you go get the keys to DZ, they're right next to the rolls of woodline.
Serving since 1987.