Flight Officer Insignia

Started by JayT, September 16, 2007, 05:50:58 PM

JayT

Unless I'm mistaken, SM's are now authorized to wear cloth rank insignia on the flight suits/jackets/utility uniform.

I'm going to be the second of two FOs in my Group in a few weeks, and I'm curious if I should sewn my stripes to the shoulders of my utility suit/flight suit/jackets.

Also, what do I wear on the black Army/Navy windbreaker for the undress TPU?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

MIKE

Quote from: JThemann on September 16, 2007, 05:50:58 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, SM's are now authorized to wear cloth rank insignia on the flight suits/jackets/utility uniform.

I'm going to be the second of two FOs in my Group in a few weeks, and I'm curious if I should sewn my stripes to the shoulders of my utility suit/flight suit/jackets.

Authorized on the CAP distinctive uniforms... not yet on the AF style IIRC.

Quote from: JThemann on September 16, 2007, 05:50:58 PMAlso, what do I wear on the black Army/Navy windbreaker for the undress TPU?

Unless Vanguard has reintroduced metal flight officer grade... You're SOL.  Remember that poll about flight officers?
Mike Johnston

JayT

I saw some metal SFO insignia (really weird, sliver stripes on a black) in my units supply box, but I haven't seen anything on Vanguard.

I was thinking of just sticking a pair of blue epaulettes on my jacket.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SJFedor

Take a look on thehock, I remember seeing some metal FO/TFO/SFO insignia on there somewhere. Never seen the production model, but something is better then nothing, right?

And if you need some FO/TFO/SFO grey epaulets, I have a whole plethora. I can't even seem to give them away to people.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SJESOFFICER

Quote from: JThemann on September 16, 2007, 07:42:04 PM
I saw some metal SFO insignia (really weird, sliver stripes on a black) in my units supply box, but I haven't seen anything on Vanguard.

I was thinking of just sticking a pair of blue epaulettes on my jacket.

I believe those are AFROTC Officer ranks... I did ROTC in college while being a FO and TFO and yes they look simular and would love to use them but i dont think you can only thing you can wear rank of FO grades is CAP corp., blues, and bdu's Flight suits are rankless for FO grades to the best of my knowledge... personally I think we should recognize... kinda wonder why FO grades they exist... an adult is an adult even if they cant perform some of the ratings due to age...offtopic i know ...

*Written on Mobile PDA Sorry for All and Any Mistakes of Spelling/Punctuation etc.*
1 LT Brendan Gadd
San Jose Sqd 80, CAWG
Emergency Services Officer

Becks

Quote from: SJFedor on September 20, 2007, 04:52:37 AM
Take a look on thehock, I remember seeing some metal FO/TFO/SFO insignia on there somewhere. Never seen the production model, but something is better then nothing, right?

And if you need some FO/TFO/SFO grey epaulets, I have a whole plethora. I can't even seem to give them away to people.
The Hock "sells" metal insignia for FO's...but I ordered some about a year ago and they have yet to ever come in stock.

BBATW

JayT

These weren't the sliver on blue I see AFROTC cadets wear (and wore myself at JROTC), but sliver on black.

Becks

Quote from: JThemann on September 20, 2007, 11:04:41 AM
These weren't the sliver on blue I see AFROTC cadets wear (and wore myself at JROTC), but sliver on black.
Correct the FO insignia basically looks like 1Lt rank but instead painted black with silver showing through for how many FO lines there are.  In fact there have been people in the past who have made FO insignia that way.

BBATW

SJESOFFICER

College ROTC is Silver on black if I can recall, i think silver on blue is JROTC
1 LT Brendan Gadd
San Jose Sqd 80, CAWG

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: SJESOFFICER on September 20, 2007, 03:34:37 PM
College ROTC is Silver on black if I can recall, i think silver on blue is JROTC

Not quite... AFJROTC grade insignia is quite different than those of their AFROTC brethren.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SJESOFFICER

Lol thats exatly what I said read my post   again, I was only refering to the colors and not size and shape  :P
1 LT Brendan Gadd
San Jose Sqd 80, CAWG

afgeo4

AFROTC uses black epaulets. We use gray epaulets. What's the question?
GEORGE LURYE

Pylon

Quote from: afgeo4 on September 20, 2007, 04:20:58 PM
What's the question?

Nothing to do at all with epaulets, but rather hard grade insignia (plastic encased for flight suit, pin-on for mess dress shoulderboards and TPU service jacket).

What I completely fail to understand is the jacked up priorities of whomever at the time has been producing our CAP distinctive insignia.

IT specialty badge?  Vanguard produced them in all three levels and made them available on the web store for sale before the program was even in place to award them.

Meanwhile flight officer's have been struggling for years to get the required insignia for their various uniforms?

How about the Eaker mini medal?  Still hasn't been produced since the Eaker Award was introduced!

How about embroidered NCO epaulet sleeves?  CAP NCO's have been waiting for these for over a year since they replaced the pin-on epaulet sleeves.

The newest, optional bling-bling device to come out of the Maxwell Brain Trust gets pushed through to production in record times.... new specialty badges... mini GT badges... new command patches... etc.    Meanwhile, more important (and sometimes required items for some members) go years without any sign of being produced.  What gives?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

afgeo4

There is no CAP metal or plastic encased flight officer insignia at this time. Why? Because our uniform decisions are uniform at not being applied uniformly.
GEORGE LURYE

dwb

The alternative is to stay a cadet until just before your 21st birthday.

Cecil DP

Attached are the FO bars as worn in CAP
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

MIKE

^ Except that they are darker blue/black and they don't have a silver boarder on each edge that makes them look like somebody Photoshopped some 1st Lt bars.
Mike Johnston

jb512

Quote from: Pylon on September 20, 2007, 04:25:18 PM
What's the question?

The newest, optional bling-bling device to come out of the Maxwell Brain Trust gets pushed through to production in record times.... new specialty badges... mini GT badges... new command patches... etc.    Meanwhile, more important (and sometimes required items for some members) go years without any sign of being produced.  What gives?

Exactly.  The only options left are print, laminate, and glue to the appropriate uniform.  [/sarcasm]  "Jacked up" is right.

SarDragon

What's the question?

Nothing to do at all with epaulets, but rather hard grade insignia (plastic encased for flight suit, pin-on for mess dress shoulderboards and TPU service jacket).

What I completely fail to understand is the jacked up priorities of whomever at the time has been producing our CAP distinctive insignia.

IT specialty badge?  Vanguard produced them in all three levels and made them available on the web store for sale before the program was even in place to award them.

Meanwhile flight officer's have been struggling for years to get the required insignia for their various uniforms?

How about the Eaker mini medal?  Still hasn't been produced since the Eaker Award was introduced!

How about embroidered NCO epaulet sleeves?  CAP NCO's have been waiting for these for over a year since they replaced the pin-on epaulet sleeves.

How many folks will be wearing the FO insignia? How many folks will be wearing the IT specialty badges? How many folks will be wearing the Eaker mini-medal? It's all economy of scale.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jb512

Quote from: SarDragon on September 20, 2007, 09:49:48 PM
What's the question?

How many folks will be wearing the FO insignia? How many folks will be wearing the IT specialty badges? How many folks will be wearing the Eaker mini-medal? It's all economy of scale.

The principle matters just as much.  Granted there are a low percentage of FOs, but they're required to wear something that doesn't exist.

I'd be willing to bet that if there was a General who rated an Eaker medal for his waiter suit, there would be a submission before the board.