Silver Medal of Valor Picture Pride or Pretentious

Started by James Shaw, September 04, 2007, 04:59:05 PM

jimmydeanno

My personal take is display it if you want - you earned it.  

I would base my decision on whether or not I wanted or was able to discuss it when someone asked.  Sometimes people do things that are good, but don't want to tell the story afterward.

I know someone who has saved the life of someone in their family who tried to kill themselves.  They didn't want to be submitted for a CORL because if they earned it, they would feel obligated to tell people why/how they earned it and didn't want to have to discuss it.

I don't think that you displaying your SMV is pretentious.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SAR-EMT1

Something of this magnitude is fine to mention or display. (in moderation)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

LtCol White

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

James Shaw

Quote from: mashcraft on September 04, 2007, 11:16:33 PM
Thanks for the idea Jim.  I will join you.

I appreciate all of the feedback and support. Welcome Mark! I also appreciate those opinions that dont exactly agree with mine and wouldnt have it any other way.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Stonewall

My 2% of $1...

I personally don't give a hoot what people put in their sigs.  It's all fun and games if you ask me.  I've got my Mitchell number in there so people who are interested can get an idea of the time frame in which I earned it.  I mean really, the Mitchell was not great accomplishment.

However, my personal opinion is that there is a difference between awards you strive for, such as the Spaatz, Wilson, or a qualification badge, and awards that are given for actions based on  unforeseen circumstances, such as an award for heroism/valor.  No one joins CAP solely to wait around or go around looking for a burning building to run into with the intent of getting pinned a metal.  Well, I'm sure someone is guilty of this, but in general, no.

It's kind of like license plates.  In Virginia, you can get any plate with any valorous award like the bronze star, silver star, distinguished flying cross or even the medal of honor.  I don't know, I'm not quite sure I'd get one of those plates, but I did get a CAP plate.  In a way, I got it to show off my affiliation with CAP.  But I'd rather not go around showing the world my Bronze Star Medal license plate.  I don't know, maybe my opinion would change if I had one to show off.  My dad has a bronze star with "V" device along with a purple heart.  I honestly didn't even know this until I found his "rack" a few years after I joined CAP and became curious.  This was also after his devastating (paralyzing) car accident where he lost some memory.  Maybe I get it from my dad, but he never spoke of his service in Vietnam as a Navy officer in the "brown water navy".

So, if you're looking for a short answer, I wouldn't judge someone for displaying a medal for valor in a signature block, on a car, or even on a hat.  I see it all the time.  And of course, those who earn such medals have all my respect in the world.  But if it were me, I just wouldn't do it.
Serving since 1987.

JC004

O-Rex

Anyone remember Clint Eastwood's character, Gunny Highway from "Heartbreak Ridge?"  The only way his platoon found out that he received the Medal of Honor was from someone else.

On a related note, knights "of the old code" always told stories of their fellow knights' deeds-of-daring-do, but never their own.

Wear earned awards with pride, but just remember: "quiet" has a certain cool to it. . . .

MIKE

Quote from: JC004 on September 05, 2007, 02:47:28 AM
^^ (UK's sig is one of my favorites)

It would look cool stuck to a lower receiver.  Have seen the 7.62 version also.[/off topic]
Mike Johnston

LeoBurke

As long as you didn't get it for directing traffic - SHOW IT BABY!!

I think a little pride goes a very long way.....  Besides would our members ever differentiate the operators from the corporate wannabees?

Leo Burke
Spaatz #749
Wilson #1465
Leo Burke, Michigan

/\/\/\   The Spaatz award is over-rated.  Get yours and prove it.  It's Half the
\/\/\/   Mitchell, Half the Earhart, write a paragraph and run around the block!

IceNine

Quote from: O-Rex on September 05, 2007, 02:49:54 AM
Anyone remember Clint Eastwood's character, Gunny Highway from "Heartbreak Ridge?"  The only way his platoon found out that he received the Medal of Honor was from someone else.

Or I think even better, if you get the chance watch the deleted scenes on the We were soldier's DVD.  You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

davedove

Quote from: mfd1506 on September 05, 2007, 04:16:38 PM
Anyone remember Clint Eastwood's character, Gunny Highway from "Heartbreak Ridge?"  The only way his platoon found out that he received the Medal of Honor was from someone else.

Or I think even better, if you get the chance watch the deleted scenes on the We were soldier's DVD.  You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it.

I assume you're talking about the deleted scene with the story about the new Lt and his platoon sergeant.  That was great.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

IceNine

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

O-Rex

Quote from: davedove on September 05, 2007, 04:26:12 PM
Quote from: mfd1506 on September 05, 2007, 04:16:38 PM

I assume you're talking about the deleted scene with the story about the new Lt and his platoon sergeant.  That was great.
Never saw it on DVD.

Please: do tell....

Removed reply from quoted text - MIKE

davedove

Well, since it's not part of the movie release, it's not really a spoiler.

The men are telling a story.

This new Lt wanted to know about his men, so he ordered them to wear all their decorations at the next formation.

Every man did so, except the grizzled Platoon Sgt.  The Lt proceeded to chew him out and ordered him to go put on his decorations immediately.

When the Sgt returned, he was stark naked and wearing not one, but two Medals of Honor.

The guy telling the story then goes on to say that this Sgt was afraid of their new Sergeant Major.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

cnitas

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
MER-MD-003

davedove

Quote from: cnitas on September 05, 2007, 05:25:36 PM
Dave, so many posts today....slow day at work?  ;)

Shhh!  Don't tell anybody.  I have to wait for others to respond to go forward with the tasks. ;)
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

PaulR

Quote from: caphistorian on September 04, 2007, 04:59:05 PM

Is this bragging or pride?

I say Pride. 

If you earned it, you have the right to display it.  I see nothing wrong with you displaying this great honor.  If it was not meant to be displayed, you would not be wearing it on your uniform to begin with! ;D

BTW, congratulations and display it with pride!

alamrcn

I tried to think of a valid reason to not have it in your signature. I'm pretty good at playing the devil's judge advocate, but I just can't come up with much.

The only valid reason would be that you have not actually been presented the award -- of which you properly have, or if you no longer qualify to wear it -- which you do. So, I dunno.

You get a ribbon, you put it on.
You get a plaque, you hang it up.

Or not... it's a personnal desicion.

I'm glad to hear that the person who e-mailed you was courteous and not insulting, and I respect that. I welcome that person and anyone else to display their highest (or proudest) achievement in their signature line, whether it be a "WIWAC" J.F. Curry Achievement ribbon from 1985, or a Purple Heart Award medal from getting flack in the left butt cheek from an exploding, gas filled piss pot on a field base in Vietnam.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

James Shaw

I appreciate all of the opinions both for and against. I am very proud of everything I do within CAP because I try to give 100% all of the time. This is not always possible as many of us know. I give CAP 100% when I am with CAP and 100% to whatever I am working on.

The highest award I have ever received could never be worn on a uniform. It is round, purple, and attached to a string with colored beads. My son Killian gave it to me for fathers day 2006 after we watched a movie called the medallion with Jackie Chan and he made it at school it takes up more room in my 2700 square foot house than anything and he beams with pride seeing it on the wall in my home office. I have attached a picture.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

MIKE

You broke the sig again.  I fixed it the other day.
Mike Johnston