Main Menu

Old to new.

Started by Stitch, September 01, 2007, 06:15:35 PM

brasda91

Quote from: mfd1506 on September 02, 2007, 06:05:59 PM
Never seen that.  Thank you

Your welcome.  ;)  Now what do you think?  I feel like this is a great topic.  I have 4 new cadets that are working on their Curry with a promotion date of 6 Nov.  Should they be wearing cutouts on both collars until they are promoted to C/Amn or nothing on the collars?  If we as group, cannot find a reg specifing, I will call National on Tuesday.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

IceNine

Personally, I think they should wear the cutouts. 

So if you have them let them wear them BUT don't buy anymore.  So as the ones you have get worn out and break don't replace them
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

brasda91

Quote from: mfd1506 on September 02, 2007, 06:17:32 PM
Personally, I think they should wear the cutouts. 

I think I agree.  Here's an idea.  Ask your C/Amn and up, who no longer wear the cutouts, to donate them to the unit supply.  When you have a new cadet join, temporarily issue them the cutouts.  When they are promoted to C/Amn, they return the cutouts for the next new cadet to use.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

MIKE

Quote from: mfd1506 on September 02, 2007, 06:05:59 PM
Never seen that.  Thank you

You replied that you had a few posts up.  ???

Also it says cutout, not cutouts... so one could infer that it applies to those who wore a cutout and grade insignia... but hey, I didn't write the [darn] thing... so there you go.
Mike Johnston

Al Sayre

They still need them for the BDU's until they get their Curry...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

brasda91

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 03, 2007, 05:45:03 AM
They still need them for the BDU's until they get their Curry...

I agree, along with Blues.  I guess if you look at it from the standpoint of they are not considered "enlisted" until they reach Curry, then cutouts on both collars would be appropiate.  Hey, I think we've discussed this enough to find the answer!
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Stitch

Hi,
We went to the open house and he is "in" and is very excited.

They do it a bit different than we did so I guess he does not need the cutouts until he gets the blues. They way they do it, Airman basic does not wear a uniform. They will have an overniter they call a "bootcamp" in early OCT. During this time, he will get his curry and after that can wear his uniform.

I also have a question for anyone familiar with FL school units. I would like him to have a leatherman type tool. I guess cadets can still carry an AF type survival knife on their SAR kit. Does this change when the unit is stationed on school property?
Now even if it does, is there some type of exeption  being CAP or since TOS is held after school hours?

I know they have no guns/weapons on school property, but you can have it picking them up or dropping them off, so there are some variations to it, I just dont know what they are.

Thanks for your time.

JayT

I don't think theres any need for most cadets to ever have an AF survival knife or KBar in there kit.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

MIKE

Quote from: Stitch on September 09, 2007, 03:28:44 AM
They do it a bit different than we did so I guess he does not need the cutouts until he gets the blues. They way they do it, Airman basic does not wear a uniform. They will have an overniter they call a "bootcamp" in early OCT. During this time, he will get his curry and after that can wear his uniform.

::)  That's funny because cadets have to demonstrate proper wear of the CAP uniform to complete Achievement 1.  Regulationsmegulations.  ::)
Mike Johnston

Stitch

I can agree with not wanting them to have a big K-Bar, but the small knife when on SAR or a SAREX doesn't bother me if the kid is squared away. If he was a nut, I wouldn't want him to have a toothpick.  ;D

I don't know what to say about the uniform thing. It disappointed him and I feel for him, but they make the rules not me.

In other news, they were trying to get seniors in as well as they are real short. My better half has decided to join up. I think it would be good for her. The boy is kool with it and understands she is not going to hold his hand or watch over him either.
They are to keep work and home separate. If they form into groups, she will try to get one he is not in. I don't think part of the growing experience should have mommy holding his hand.

If you would please share some thoughts on this. Anyone here have kids in with them, or have family teams in the unit where you have some input on what not to do?

The only thing I have was as a Cadet. My bud's dad was a CAPT and pilot. He was always scared of his dad getting on him if he had any kid type fun with the rest of us.

Major Carrales

Quote from: PHall on September 02, 2007, 04:52:22 PM
Quote from: brasda91 on September 02, 2007, 01:04:34 PM
Quote from: mfd1506 on September 01, 2007, 08:32:05 PM
except C/AB wear cap cutouts on both collars.

Hmmm.....hadn't thought about this.  So the cadets have to order the CAP cut-outs, only to wear them for a month or two?  What if you just left the collar clean?  Is it stated somewhere where the C/AB wear the CAP cut-outs on both collars? 

You can do what we do in my Squadron. The cadet gets two CAP cutouts when they get their uniform. When they promote they trade in their cutouts for their new grade insignia. If they want to keep their old insignia they can buy it from the squadron.

That, too, is our policy.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

Quote from: Stitch on September 10, 2007, 05:18:03 AMIn other news, they were trying to get seniors in as well as they are real short. My better half has decided to join up. I think it would be good for her. The boy is kool with it and understands she is not going to hold his hand or watch over him either.
They are to keep work and home separate. If they form into groups, she will try to get one he is not in. I don't think part of the growing experience should have mommy holding his hand.

If you would please share some thoughts on this. Anyone here have kids in with them, or have family teams in the unit where you have some input on what not to do?

The only thing I have was as a Cadet. My bud's dad was a CAPT and pilot. He was always scared of his dad getting on him if he had any kid type fun with the rest of us.

Rather than drift off topic: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

Mike Johnston

Lancer

Not wanting to pick nits here, but I think there should be some clarification on the topic of collar insignia.

Now that the most recent uniform change letter is out, and references a change submitted at the March 2007 NB meeting (which are no longer marked DRAFT btw), I notice a discrepancy in what is being stated here.

Per the March 07 Minutes:
(k) Cadet NCO Grades
RECOMMENDATION: Approve proposal to authorize the wear of grade insignia on
both collars of the light blue AF-style shirt and lapels of service coat, Cadet NCOs
currently wear grade on both collars of BDUs.

ACTION: COL CHITWOOD/SWR MOVED AND COL NELSON/CA SECONDED
that the National Board approves the recommendation of the Uniform Board
with a suggested mandatory wear date of 1 March 2008.

Per the Uniform Change Letter.
c. Cadet Enlisted Grade Insignia on AF-style shirt and service coat. Cadet
enlisted members are now authorized to wear grade insignia on both collars or lapels.
The CAP cutout is no longer worn. Mandatory wear date for this change is 1 March

Now, from the NB minutes I read that to state Cadet NCO's who have been wearing grade insignia on both collars of the BDU's are now permitted to wear grade insignia on both collars of the blues shirt and service coat.

Then out pops the change letter stating cadet enlisted grades shall wear insignia on both collars of their blues or BDU's.

I know it might seem petty to bring this up, but did someone say 'Well, if that's the case, let's just let all enlisted grade cadets wear grade insignia on both collars', and we just missed that part?

Thoughts?

MIKE

It is because NHQ is consistently inconsistant...

Quote from: CAPM 39-11-3. Definition of Terms:
a. Officer: As used in this publication, includes senior member grades flight officer through major
general and cadet grades second lieutenant through colonel.
b. Airman: Unless otherwise specified, includes all other uniformed members both senior and
cadet.
Mike Johnston

brasda91

Quote from: Lancer on September 10, 2007, 04:58:05 PM
I know it might seem petty to bring this up, but did someone say 'Well, if that's the case, let's just let all enlisted grade cadets wear grade insignia on both collars', and we just missed that part?

Thoughts?

I called National myself and all cadets wear the grade on both collars.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Stitch

Quote from: MIKE on September 10, 2007, 03:57:39 PM
Rather than drift off topic: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

Thanks for the link.  I think every thread I have read in here goes off topic  ;D

I was thinking that keeping all my issues in one thread would make it easier on the folks here, instead of me making multiple "New guy" threads and annoying more than needed.
Thanks again.

MIKE

Actually... I think we'd prefer multiple new guy threads in the appropriate area.
Mike Johnston

Stitch

You got it.
I just wanted to let you know what I was thinking when I did it.
There seem to be some parent unfriendly people here and I did not want to annoy them, so I was trying to tread lightly.  ;)

Thanks again.

MIKE

Quote from: Stitch on September 11, 2007, 02:56:58 AM
There seem to be some parent unfriendly people here and I did not want to annoy them, so I was trying to tread lightly.  ;)

I am one of them unfourtunately... Based on past experiences.
Mike Johnston

Stitch

Quote from: MIKE on September 11, 2007, 03:00:52 AM
Quote from: Stitch on September 11, 2007, 02:56:58 AM

I am one of them unfourtunately... Based on past experiences.
Well due to my current employment I am unable to become a full member again.
I could become a sponser member, but I read here they are "useless" so I guess that wont help either.

Any advise on remaining here to learn what has changed in the last 20 something years or keep up to date to help my two newbs out or should I just hit the road?