Main Menu

Old to new.

Started by Stitch, September 01, 2007, 06:15:35 PM

Stitch

Hi,
I was a cadet in the early 80's. I then did a stint as a 2LT/SM.
Well, as life moved on I caught my first sexually transmitted disease.

That STD has just entered the 6th grade and will be entering CAP in a couple of weeks.  ;D

I am not going to join again but have been taking some time to show him basic D+C,  proper uniform wear and so on. When I was in, we had the OG107's. It seems to have changed quite a bit in the last 20 yrs so I have a few questions. I did spend a few hours here to see what I could find on my own but would like some confirmation please.

The cutouts were an oxidized pewter looking color but now appear to be chrome. Is this correct for now for BDU wear?  I wore the blue cloth more than the pin ons which seem no more for cadet enlisted. I also see they went to rank on both sides for BDU's.

T-Shirts were white, but now the options are black or Army brown?

I saw his LTC on open house before school started (school sqdn),  I asked him about boots. I told him I used to wear OD jungles and asked if they were still OK, he said " It doesn't matter."  It looks here like the norm is all black boots. Which is correct? He will be getting wet. We are in SW FL.

I ordered his patches so his uni's will be ready to go and have him working the kinks out now so boots are broken in and he feels comfortable with the whole setup before he has to do it for real.  I used the hock shop to order FL Wing patches and got the rest of the order with the patches back ordered. I wrote the guy for an estimated ship date but got no reply. I checked Vanguard but they don't seem to have them listed. Is there another source to get a few of these?

We have talked about this for a few years and he wants to do it and we are both excited for him. It is just getting down to crunch time and want to make sure everything is correct.
I would like to see him attend as many schools as he can and wants to do. Can someone from FL  let me know what ones would be available in state?

Thanks for your time.

brasda91

Footwear (CombatBoots)

Black, with or without safety toe, plain rounded toe or rounded capped
toe with or without perforated seam. Zipper or elastic inserts optional,
smooth or scotch-grained leather or man-made material, and may have a
high gloss or patent finish.

Green or black cloth, or canvas and black leather with plain toe with    
zipper or elastic inserts.    
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

IceNine

You are correct on the insignia the CAP cutouts are now high shine, Cadet will wear CAP cutout on Left side of collar and grade insignia on the right side (except C/AB wear cap cutouts on both collars.(

For BDU's they will wear insignia on both collars

We not longer wear the OD Gag Green uniforms, we wear woodland camo 4 Pocket BDU's

The boots question was answered quite well.

Shirts are ONLY to be Black or Brown NO WHITE is authorized (for BDU's)

V-Neck white shirts for Blues

For the patches talk with the unit supply officer often times units carry an assortment of things such as unit patches, flags, insignia etc.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

MIKE

Quote from: mfd1506 on September 01, 2007, 08:32:05 PM
You are correct on the insignia the CAP cutouts are now high shine, Cadet will wear CAP cutout on Left side of collar and grade insignia on the right side (except C/AB wear cap cutouts on both collars.

Have you read the 10 July ICL... Mandatory wear date 1 March 08.
Mike Johnston

IceNine

I have, but if they're just starting might as well get them on track for the least amount of changes in the shortest time

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

Are Wing patches required in FLWG?  NHQ made them optional, and most states left them that way.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Unfortunately, yes, wing patches are mandatory for wear on BDUs in FL wing.   >:(
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: Stitch on September 01, 2007, 06:15:35 PM
I would like to see him attend as many schools as he can and wants to do. Can someone from FL  let me know what ones would be available in state?

Fellow Florida Winger here.  Activities and "schools" are announced annually sometime in winter for the following summer.

Here is the National HQ site that lists NCSAs (National Cadet Special Activities).
http://www.cap.gov/visitors/members/cadet_programs/index.cfm?nodeID=6521&audienceID=4

PS:  Where were you a cadet?
Serving since 1987.

Stitch

Thanks for all the info so far.
Why the dislike for wing patches?

I was a cadet in Mass.
When I started it was called 1st Air Search and Rescue. While in it changed to Mt Wachusett Comp SQDN.
I did look it up recently and it appears to be an all S/M unit now.

National is the only place for school (what do you call them?) Any lists of what are held within the state?

Thanks again

Stonewall

I'm just not a fan of patches.  Badges, yes, patches no.  Think it adds to the clutter of our already colorful uniform.  Not saying we need to go subdued or anything, I just don't think we need to look like christmas trees.

Check the national website for the National Cadet Special Activities (NCSA), some of which are actually "training courses".

Some may be offered in Florida.  And of course, there's always the first requirement for all cadets, that is encampment.
Serving since 1987.

SJFedor

When Capt Floyd gets on here, he can tell you some about what FLWG does as far as state activities. He's pretty heavy into the FLWG "Ranger School" modeled after HMRS, but sounds like it focuses more on the types of SAR you guys do down there, instead of what works in the mountains of PA.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Cecil DP

The next available encampment would be the SER Winter Encampment, which is normally held during Christmas week. 12/26-1/2. Site has not been announced yet, but I heard that it was between Camp Blanding (near Jacksonville) and Ft Benning. There are several other sites possible but these are the two main ones.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

brasda91

except C/AB wear cap cutouts on both collars.

Hmmm.....hadn't thought about this.  So the cadets have to order the CAP cut-outs, only to wear them for a month or two?  What if you just left the collar clean?  Is it stated somewhere where the C/AB wear the CAP cut-outs on both collars? 
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

IceNine

I think they come in packages of 2 anyway.

AND, the pins on those are notorious for breaking its never a bad idea to have a backup.  Especially considering the will be wearing them for the next 2-4 years or longer depending on when they make mitchell

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

PHall

Quote from: brasda91 on September 02, 2007, 01:04:34 PM
except C/AB wear cap cutouts on both collars.

Hmmm.....hadn't thought about this.  So the cadets have to order the CAP cut-outs, only to wear them for a month or two?  What if you just left the collar clean?  Is it stated somewhere where the C/AB wear the CAP cut-outs on both collars? 

You can do what we do in my Squadron. The cadet gets two CAP cutouts when they get their uniform. When they promote they trade in their cutouts for their new grade insignia. If they want to keep their old insignia they can buy it from the squadron.

floridacyclist

We have new cadets coming in starting in October with an induction night and another in January.  The October wave is scheduled for Winter Encampment, which as mentioned is after Christmas although I heard Tyndall AFB or Ft Benning; such is how rumor control works. the january Wave will be expected to attend Summer Encampment at Blanding.

Our cadets who finish Cadet Basic Training will be expected to attend Winter Encampment; immediately after that is National Cadet Special Activities Selection Board, usually at Patrick AFB. We encourage the older cadets to go there if for no other reason than to meet other cadets and participate in a little friendly competition; some of ours have actually placed quite highly against other the rest of the FL Wing cadets. The younger cadets who will be at least 13 are being encouraged to attend Hawk Mountain (www.pawingcap.com/hawk ) as we have found that to be excellent leadership and ES training, plus most other activities have higher age limits.

I don't know about how heavy I am into the ranger program, we just have some cadets who wanted to work on achievements for Hawk Mountain and we've done some weekend training to help them along and explore some other areas of interest (wilderness survival, NASAR certification etc) that lie beyond the basic minimum standards caleld for by CAP. When it comes down to it, I just like to try to keep our cadets busy and excited and am willing to use most any tool possible to do it within reason.

I think you're right on attending the different schools and activities; life within the squadron can be pretty boring. Getting out and about not only increases your exposure to other aspects of CAP, but gives you a much greater sense of belonging to something big.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

brasda91

Quote from: mfd1506 on September 02, 2007, 04:47:34 PM
Especially considering the will be wearing them for the next 2-4 years or longer depending on when they make mitchell.

No they won't.  They will be wearing grade insignia on both collars.  So where does it say that C/AB need CAP cutouts on both collars.  I know this was the case in years past, but with the requirement to wear grade on both collars, I think National has left out the specification on C/AB collar insignia.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

IceNine

YES they will they wear a cutout on the blues as mentioned earlier in this
thread

Quote from: brasda91 on September 02, 2007, 05:28:27 PM
Especially considering the will be wearing them for the next 2-4 years or longer depending on when they make mitchell.

So where does it say that C/AB need CAP cutouts on both collars.  I know this was the case in years past, but with the requirement to wear grade on both collars, I think National has left out the specification on C/AB collar insignia.

Probably somewhere in 39-1 go ahead and get the cite for that...things like I think don't work here

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

brasda91

Quote from: mfd1506 on September 02, 2007, 05:36:19 PM
YES they will they wear a cutout on the blues as mentioned earlier in this
thread

Quote from: brasda91 on September 02, 2007, 05:28:27 PM

So where does it say that C/AB need CAP cutouts on both collars.  I know this was the case in years past, but with the requirement to wear grade on both collars, I think National has left out the specification on C/AB collar insignia.

Probably somewhere in 39-1 go ahead and get the cite for that...things like I think don't work here

My refrence to "I think" was regarding an issue that is not covered in the regs.  Per the 10 Jul 2007 memo:

c. Cadet Enlisted Grade Insignia on AF-style shirt and service coat. Cadet
enlisted members are now authorized to wear grade insignia on both collars or lapels.
The CAP cutout is no longer worn. Mandatory wear date for this change is 1 March

They can continue to wear the cutout, but if you have new cadets coming into the unit, why have them spend the money on item they will not be wearing?
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

IceNine

Never seen that.  Thank you

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4