Main Menu

Uniform Troubles

Started by Cadet Bonnett, June 20, 2005, 10:45:36 PM

Cadet Bonnett

does anyone understnad how to wear the BDU AND THE BLUES. If so could you please explain.

Cadet Bonnett
NH Wing.
Cadet A1C Christin Bonnett
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

El Campamento del Ala de NH aquí yo vengo.

Pylon

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 20, 2005, 10:45:36 PM
does anyone understnad how to wear the BDU AND THE BLUES. If so could you please explain.

Cadet Bonnett
NH Wing.

For one, you'll want to look at the Uniform Manual yourself.  Everything about our uniforms and how to properly wear them is contained within the CAP Uniform Manual, or the CAPM 39-1.

You can find a copy of it on the National CAP website here:  http://level2.cap.gov/documents/u_082203102943.pdf

Your flight sergeant and/or flight commander at your squadron should also be guiding you on how to properly wear this uniform.

Lastly, if you're confused, feel free to ask questions here, or ask your flight staff at your home unit.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Cadet Bonnett

Thank you. The Website you gave me is not working on my computer is it PDF.
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

Pylon

Yes.  It is a PDF file.  You will need to download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat in order to do do many online things with CAP.  All of CAP's regulations, manuals, and pamphlets come in PDF format.  CAP's forms are available only in PDF or Microsoft Word format, and many other CAP documents are distributed as PDFs.

Therefore, head over to Adobe's website and download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader here:  http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Then you will be able to go back and read the Uniform manual along with all of the other CAP publications.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Cmdbuddy

Also, with your new cadet packet, there are AWESOME color pics of how to wear your uniforms.  If you need help, please ask specific questions, and we'll be more than happy to help you.  Remember who and what you are representing, especially in the eyes of the general public, when you are wearing the uniform. 
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

Cadet Bonnett

thank you. i wear the BDU right but i don't have my blues yet
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

ladyreferee

Question to all.  Anyone here wear the shiny vinyl black shoes that you can get at bx's?  And if so, how do you get skuffs off of them?
Thanks!

CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

Cadet Bonnett

you'd want to polish the spot for a rather medium length of time, then use a towel or sock , and rub in the same spot youpolished. It worked for my friends Combat Boots.
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

SarDragon

Quote from: ladyreferee on June 23, 2005, 12:49:31 AM
Question to all.  Anyone here wear the shiny vinyl black shoes that you can get at bx's?  And if so, how do you get skuffs off of them?
Thanks!

Small scuffs come out with polishing. Big scuffs, where the finish is damaged, are there forever.

See this post on CS:
http://forums.cadetstuff.org/viewtopic.php?p=20655&highlight=#20655

As for the comment on combat boots, they are leather, not "plastic". Different methods needed.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ladyreferee

Thanks for the heads up!  I tried pledge and also car wax - both do a nice job on my hockey helmet but didn't help here!  Bummer.
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

Xeno

Quote from: ladyreferee on June 24, 2005, 02:08:08 AM
Thanks for the heads up!  I tried pledge and also car wax - both do a nice job on my hockey helmet but didn't help here!  Bummer.

You should get yourself some KIWI Parade Gloss and polish like mad, I can't really think of a magical cure for scuffs aside from heavy polishing... well, unless you have access to an industrial strength electric floor waxer that is...
C/1st Lt. Josh Sims
C/CC SWR-AR-095

121.5 -- If you crash, we will dash...

Pace

Scuffs don't come out of pleather (shiny shoes), at least not from my experience.  Just get some regular leather shoes and apply Leather Luster to make those shoes just as shiny as pleather.  As scuffs form, reapply Leather Luster and problem fixed.  It's messy (especially until you learn how to apply the stuff correctly), but it's the best of both worlds:  really bright and consisant shine plus the ability to get scuffs out.
Lt Col, CAP

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: dcpacemaker on June 24, 2005, 04:45:31 AM
Scuffs don't come out of pleather (shiny shoes), at least not from my experience.  Just get some regular leather shoes and apply Leather Luster to make those shoes just as shiny as pleather.  As scuffs form, reapply Leather Luster and problem fixed.  It's messy (especially until you learn how to apply the stuff correctly), but it's the best of both worlds:  really bright and consisant shine plus the ability to get scuffs out.

you have an awesome idea dcpacemaker...
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

MIKE

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 24, 2005, 08:04:25 PM
Quote from: dcpacemaker on June 24, 2005, 04:45:31 AM

you have an awesome idea dcpacemaker...

I wish he would stop calling it pleather... It makes me uncomfortable.  :D

I bought this Restore stuff back when I wore the plastic shoes... Kinda worked on light scuffs and you can use it as edge dressing also.  Finally gave up on the plastic shoes after destroying two pair and bought a leather pair which are much easier to repair with regular polish.

Also, I have heard that Leather Luster is evil, but YMMV.

Mike Johnston

Pace

I use it all the time on my boots and leather shoes.  It doesn't crack the leather as some claim, and it's easy to repair scuffs.  The only downside is that it's messy and it takes hours to dry before you can wear the shoes/boots, but it's well worth the shine!

Oh yeah, and pleather   :D
Sorry, I had to do it.
Lt Col, CAP

Cadet Bonnett

what is so bad about pleather.
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

SarDragon

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 27, 2005, 08:28:34 PM
what is so bad about pleather.
For shoes, a lot. it damages easily, and doesn't last as long as real leather. In addition, common shoe repairs, like new heels or soles, are more difficult or even impossible.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Skyray

Having been brought up Marine, I have a real prejudice against patent leather, or pleather as dcp abbreviates it.  I have a pair of them for uniformity with my Coast Guard Auxiliary outfit.  They need to be protected from scuffing, because in my experience they can't repaired.  Lemon Pledge brings them to a high degree of polish, and smells nice too.

As for spit shining, I saw a documentary the other day about the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  They stated that it took about eight hours to shine their shoes.  From my experience, they are under by about half for the initial shine, it gets easier after that.  The best thing about a spit shine is that scuffs can be repaired.  I have seen suede desert boots that were spit shined; I'll bet that took several weeks.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

SarDragon

I think my long CS post on shoes got lost in the last data dump, but here's a shorter version.

Patent leather and these new "plastic" (aka Corfam) shoes are not the same. Patent leather is real leather, just made really smooth and shiny by, you guessed it, a patent process. They are a bit more durable, and mild to moderate scuffs can be fixed, even if you need to have it done by a cobbler. OTOH, Corfams are not fixable. Once the surface is damaged, the shoe is toast.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Basically Regs

What is it with the shiny boots? Why do they need to be shiny?