Congratulations, your're the new National Commander...now what.

Started by Nick Critelli, July 15, 2007, 02:42:34 PM

Major Lord

SARMedTech,

Not to run too far afield, and in respect for the iniatiator of this threads' stated desire to limit the scope, I will amplify on my views about the squids, er, strike that, Coast Guard's, role and contrast that to ours. The CG is a full fledged member of the Homeland Security team, while its auxiliary is a junior member. They have quasi-law enforcement powers. The CG went from Department of Transporation, to the DOD, to Homeland Security. Our genesis is the reverse; We started moghty and progressed to flighty. I would attempt to reverse the process and bring us into the Homeland Security family.

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

SARMedTech

Quote from: CaptLord on July 15, 2007, 11:42:58 PM
SARMedTech,

Not to run too far afield, and in respect for the iniatiator of this threads' stated desire to limit the scope, I will amplify on my views about the squids, er, strike that, Coast Guard's, role and contrast that to ours. The CG is a full fledged member of the Homeland Security team, while its auxiliary is a junior member. They have quasi-law enforcement powers. The CG went from Department of Transporation, to the DOD, to Homeland Security. Our genesis is the reverse; We started moghty and progressed to flighty. I would attempt to reverse the process and bring us into the Homeland Security family.

Capt. Lord

On that, we see eye to eye as I would like to get us more into HLS, Border Patrol, etc and I think there are many ways we could do that, but would have one heck of a fight on our hands trying, unless one of us could get a meeting with Secretary Chertoff and pitch to him what we could do for him and HLS and that it is already being paid for. I also think we could get more funding if we asserted ourselves in a HLS role since there seems to be no end to the desire to throw more money at it and the further I get into my MS degree on topics like biosecurity, counter-terrorism and terrorism response the more money I think we need to throw at it. CAP is here to serve the nation. We did so in WWII. The wars of the future will be fought at the borders and out of suitcases with little clocks in them and jars full of white spores thrown off the Empire State Building. There is so much we could do and if we could also be brought under the umbrella of DHLS, I think you would see us with a far greater number and variety of taskings and find far fewer members saying they sit around with nothing to do. There is a reason that the USCGAUX is begging for Arabic translators and a reason I am learning the language and its not because i like middle eastern food, which I do.  Would be happy to continue this in PM.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

flyerthom

The absolute first thing I would do is go to confession and start looking for 4 big dudes on horses riding over the horizon  :o

My action plan would contain:

1) Moratorium on all uniform changes unless initiated by the Air Force.
    a) Bring all programs that encourage "elitism" back into line under national standards.
2) Work to build closer ties to the Air Force.
    a) Work to obtain closer oversight by the Air Force making them a bigger stakeholder in the organization.
    b) Work to find more programs where CAP could fill in like the chaplains are doing.
3) Open government, open finances. Attempt to get an "Open Meeting" regulation in place.
4) Encourage people who are "Cadet only" members to participate more in other operations, and Operations only to do more for the cadet side. Encourage "whole membership."
5) Build inter agency ties on the local , state, and national level.
     a) Encourage wings, groups and squadrons to have "open house days" to show the communities who we are and what we do.
      b) Encourage National, Regions, and Wings to attend non CAP  ES conferences in uniform to get PR.
      c) Get vendor booths at non CAP ES conferences to market our services and recruit high quality members rather than warm bodies.
6) Employ a full time lobbyist to advocate for us in congress.
7) Restart the Military Music Academy.
TC

LtCol White

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 15, 2007, 03:16:17 PM
Ahem... General Patton is spinning in his grave - they're ivory-handled pistols; only a New Orleans pimp would be sporting pearl-handled pistols.  ;D

Hey! Watch it or I'll do voodoo on you and have you appointed to NHQ !!
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

LtCol White

In addition to many of the good ideas already mentioned, I would embark on a major marketing campaign to educate everyone about CAP and what it does. Its time we were no longer the USAF's best kept secret. Hell, even 1/2 of USAF has never heard of CAP. This is a HUGE issue. 
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

sandman

Quote from: Skyray on July 15, 2007, 04:43:27 PM
sandman sayeth
QuoteThis message brought to you from the USS Peleliu anchored in the port of Da Nang!

Can you see Monkey Mountain from your vantage point?  If you can, take a stroll to the fantail and render a salute to Marine Captain Bill Tebow, who bought a little patch of it in 1965.

Nostalgia aside, your ideas are good.  There are other reasons for termination than security breaches, but your basic instincts are good.  I think my suggestions would fix the underlying rot, your suggestions seem like a priority for after we get it fixed.  I don't know that I would mess with cadet commissions to the point of eliminating them.  I was a Second Lieutenant when they invented Spaatz, and it seems to me that it has had an overall positive impact.

Consider salute rendered! And one for all of the other fine men and women of the US armed forces who bought a patch of land here!

As far as cadetting goes, I feel it would be best in this day and age to go ahead and eliminate the officer ranks. Don't cling to history and "that's the way it's always been done" type of mentality.

The reason why I would lobby hard for such a change is first to bring a real sense of pride and ownership to having earned those stripes; second to align mentorship with real NCO's; third, along with a sense of pride, to not run through the NCO stripes so quickly...after all, the NCO is the "backbone" of the service. The stripes shouldn't be a quick stepping stone to officership. Also, if the cadet applies him- or herself to the program and then enlists, well they may advance to E-3, not a commission. Lastly, it would align fairly with other cadetting programs allowing a greater interoperability without awkwardness.

Oh, and make picture ID cards the only ID cards ;)
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

sandman

Quote from: BillB on July 15, 2007, 04:58:59 PM
Sandman...The original 1942 cadet program had only enlisted grades up to C/Msgt One problem was that CAP cadets and seniors wore the same enlisted insignia. The stripes were supposed to be on a red background, only a small shade different than the Marine Corp NCO stripes. But most CAP members wore the Army style. Ever see a 17 year old Master Sgt? The Cadet officer grades were added (up to C/Capt) in the mid 1940's and C/Major added in very late 1940's. In fact there was a Cadet BGen authorized, for one week until USAF JROTC and ROTC complained saying they didn't have /Gen grades.
There are to many achievements and milestones in the cadet program to drop back to NCO grades only. One of the 1960's National Cadet Advisory Council suggested CAP drop cadet officer grades, but since all JROTC activities included cadet officers, it was never brought up at the National Board. So basically CAP cadets have to maintain the same grade structure as AFJROTC and AFROTC.

I understand your point but I disagree. Yes, there are many achievements and milestones. But those achievements and milestones can be better recognized with a well made certificate and appurtences on a ribbon. In reducing ribbons and substituting stars, oakleafs, etc on just a few ribbons will probably prove to be economically advantageous for CAP and the cadet. Add a few real medals that can be earned following in similarity to the real military (but not obviously as hard to earn) and I think cadets would feel adequately rewarded.

Doesn't JROTC have fluidic promotions basically for the position occupied by the cadet? One week you're a major, the next you're the company sergeant major. If so, It would make better sense to field promote a cadet to a temporary rank for a position in order to participate in a JROTC / ROTC exercise. Mark and record the cadets participation and award a ribbon/medal for time served.

Ideally, the cadets would appreciate the NCO corps as the backbone of the military that it is. Real military NCO's could appreciate mentoring these cadets much more than a cadet "officer".

Quote from: BillB on July 15, 2007, 04:58:59 PM
One problem was that CAP cadets and seniors wore the same enlisted insignia. The stripes were supposed to be on a red background, only a small shade different than the Marine Corp NCO stripes.

Not a problem anymore in this day and age though!

I would suggest again not to hold to "tradition" but to develop a more sensible cadet program...
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

sandman

SARMedTech,

Capt. Lord

I concur. When an auxiliary facility is tasked to marshall a bunch of recreational boaters to stay clear of an area such as a floating parade or race etc and a boater becomes beligerant or non-compliant with the suggestions (not orders mind you) of the auxiliarist and the auxiliarist calls for CG assist...the CG is right there like stink on excrement reinforcing the suggestions until they become orders to comply.

Uniquely, the USAF does not have such an enforcement cabability within CONUS (except maybe NG). How could we have big blue back us up or vice-versa? Would you want to deploy for a few weeks to some desert area to backfill some AF position in need (yea, some of you certainly would enthusiastically with weapon of choice in hand ;) ;D ).

So, helping the AF in the way we currently do with SAR and cadetting could be beefed up for sure. Along that line we should certainly reach out a helping hand to DHS and other agencies, not reach out a hand for a "hand out" but allow ourselves to become proficient and professional volunteers. I have onboard today here in the 'Nam a variety of people, civilian volunteers from Project Hope and others.

Would it be possible for a civilian volunteer to participate in a real military program? You betcha! The key is standardized proficiency and a real sense of professionalism, along with a healthy dose of reality...a person may be able to spend a week or two out of their summer vacation to participate...maybe the health care professionals in CAP can get together a flight to send on a mission such as the Peleliu Pacific Partnership ;)

/r
LT
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: sandman on July 16, 2007, 02:34:57 AM
SARMedTech,

Capt. Lord

I concur. When an auxiliary facility is tasked to marshall a bunch of recreational boaters to stay clear of an area such as a floating parade or race etc and a boater becomes beligerant or non-compliant with the suggestions (not orders mind you) of the auxiliarist and the auxiliarist calls for CG assist...the CG is right there like stink on excrement reinforcing the suggestions until they become orders to comply.

Uniquely, the USAF does not have such an enforcement cabability within CONUS (except maybe NG). How could we have big blue back us up or vice-versa? Would you want to deploy for a few weeks to some desert area to backfill some AF position in need (yea, some of you certainly would enthusiastically with weapon of choice in hand ;) ;D ).

So, helping the AF in the way we currently do with SAR and cadetting could be beefed up for sure. Along that line we should certainly reach out a helping hand to DHS and other agencies, not reach out a hand for a "hand out" but allow ourselves to become proficient and professional volunteers. I have onboard today here in the 'Nam a variety of people, civilian volunteers from Project Hope and others.

Would it be possible for a civilian volunteer to participate in a real military program? You betcha! The key is standardized proficiency and a real sense of professionalism, along with a healthy dose of reality...a person may be able to spend a week or two out of their summer vacation to participate...maybe the health care professionals in CAP can get together a flight to send on a mission such as the Peleliu Pacific Partnership ;)

/r
LT

I'd tell you some folks to look up in DaNang, since I spent MANY days there (some of them even happy ones) but I'm afraid that the current government of Vietnam has probably already killed everyone who either worked with us or was treated by us as patients.

And I don't want to call attention to anybody who has managed to hide for this long. 

But to all the kids I treated (Who would now be in their 40's) I hope you are all well and happy.

(Pass that along to anybody who might remember bak-si Kack from the USS Repose in 1969 to 1970!)
Another former CAP officer

sandman

John,
Wish I had time to look up some people for you! The VM gov't is tightly controlling our leave ashore. Of the 1100+ people on board, only a small percentage is allowed ashore for liberty and tours per day. We're allowing leave in shifts essentially. I have two days of liberty and two days of MEDCAP's out of the ten days were in port.
I've been taking photos of the flag (from the fantail) flying over the city of Da Nang. I've been waiting for the fantail to swing about so that I can get a shot of the flag flying over monkey mountain!
Best to ya.
/r
LT

P.S.
So, watching planes fly out of Da Nang airport, I was thinking; as the newly appointed national commander, I would approach the VM gov't with the CAP model and try to sell them on the idea that it might be helpful for their kids!

Hmmm, on second thought, the cadets and seniors probably would carry real firearms....
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

Nick Critelli

Congratulations...you guys really can come up with some good ideas.  Keep them coming or another week and compile them when I return to the states.  Then we can see if a potential vision emerges.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: sandman on July 17, 2007, 01:13:29 AM
John,
Wish I had time to look up some people for you! The VM gov't is tightly controlling our leave ashore. Of the 1100+ people on board, only a small percentage is allowed ashore for liberty and tours per day. We're allowing leave in shifts essentially. I have two days of liberty and two days of MEDCAP's out of the ten days were in port.
I've been taking photos of the flag (from the fantail) flying over the city of Da Nang. I've been waiting for the fantail to swing about so that I can get a shot of the flag flying over monkey mountain!
Best to ya.
/r
LT

P.S.
So, watching planes fly out of Da Nang airport, I was thinking; as the newly appointed national commander, I would approach the VM gov't with the CAP model and try to sell them on the idea that it might be helpful for their kids!

Hmmm, on second thought, the cadets and seniors probably would carry real firearms....

The last time I did MEDCAP's there I carried a real firearm!

Didn't have to use it in DaNang, though.  Got shot at near Cua Viet and couldn't use it there either since there were Marines between me and the NVA.  A corpsman shooting Marines is generally considered to be a conflict of interest!

But... you bring up an interesting point that someone brought up a week ago in an SLS class I taught...

Could CAP set up youth cadet programs in other (Developing) countries?

Nothing, interestingly, in our Congressional mandate requires that we serve only in the United States, only that we conduct "Noncombat missions and programs for the Air Force."  As long as the mission is noncombat, there is no reason why we could not serve overseas.  This (If I were Natl. Commander, to keep the discussion on track) would apply to chaplains and medical personnel (If we develop a health services track), and others if the AF considers nation-building and building up the resources of friendly-nation air forces to be a mission.
Another former CAP officer

Skyray

Further thought on the issue brings to the forefront that one of our major problems is rank.  If I were appointed supreme commander, I would try to induce the powers that be to eliminate all but duty performance promotions because it is my opinion that some of our most grievous problems are caused by "rank skipping."  I know one member who skipped from Second Lieutenant to Major to full Colonel without hitting any of the in-betweens, and he is a disaster!  Military equivalence and other promotions would get a short time to backfill themselves to the proper training level.  No one would be eligible to be wing commander until they had been promoted to Lieutenant Colonel by duty performace and finished Level Five.  That should cut down a little bit on the cronyism that we have been seeing in the past few years.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

davedove

Quote from: Skyray on July 17, 2007, 02:17:15 PM
No one would be eligible to be wing commander until they had been promoted to Lieutenant Colonel by duty performace and finished Level Five.

I understand that concept, and don't disagree with it.  I think there ought to be qualifications before assuming command at any level.  A problem arises when you don't have anyone meeting the qualifications, or those that do don't want the position.  What do you do in that case, leave the position vacant?
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Skyray

Certainly a consideration, but I think Wing Commander is far enough up the line that you should have sufficient applicants.  The only ones I know that didn't want the position were back in the days before AJP showed that you don't have to pay your own way.
Doug Johnson - Miami

ZigZag911

1) set up  web-based "task forces" to study and develop recommendations for some
    of our 'hot button' issues (professional development, rank/grade system for seniors, uniforms, ES training and so forth). Task forces chaired by and composed principally of squadron & group personnel. Part of their mandate would be to solicit input throughout the nation, at all CAP levels (including state directors, CAPRAP, and other USAF advice). Interim reports in 90 days, recommendations in 180 days

2) develop and implement reasonable, consistent criteria and methods for selection of wing and region commanders

3) institute a CAP ombudsman program, preferably in concert with CAP chaplain service and CAP NCO corps to encourage non-adversarial solution of problems and resolution of disputes

4) institute a CAP IG service at National & Region level answering only to BOG

5) conduct live or web-based "town meetings" in each region, in which membership  can offer ideas & raise general concerns with national & region command personnel

SARMedTech

Quote from: ZigZag911 on July 18, 2007, 04:17:20 AM
1) set up  web-based "task forces" to study and develop recommendations for some
    of our 'hot button' issues (professional development, rank/grade system for seniors, uniforms, ES training and so forth). Task forces chaired by and composed principally of squadron & group personnel. Part of their mandate would be to solicit input throughout the nation, at all CAP levels (including state directors, CAPRAP, and other USAF advice). Interim reports in 90 days, recommendations in 180 days

2) develop and implement reasonable, consistent criteria and methods for selection of wing and region commanders

3) institute a CAP ombudsman program, preferably in concert with CAP chaplain service and CAP NCO corps to encourage non-adversarial solution of problems and resolution of disputes

4) institute a CAP IG service at National & Region level answering only to BOG

5) conduct live or web-based "town meetings" in each region, in which membership  can offer ideas & raise general concerns with national & region command personnel

I would add a meeting once a month where the members of the community in which  each Squadron is located could attend, learn about CAP, ask questions, perhaps network with things CAP could do for the community, etc. Might also serve as a good recruiting tool.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

lordmonar

Quote from: 12211985 on July 15, 2007, 08:47:08 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 15, 2007, 08:40:46 PMHow do you 2b someone without their knowledge?  Put them on "Double-Secret Probation" first?

Right now, CAP does not require people who are 2b'd to know their membership has been terminated.  Probation is optional, as is a membership termination board.  There was a thread about this very thing.  Topic: Mandatory 2b Hearings? A possible end to potential Abuse?

Tags - MIKE

Try that one again.....

Hearings are manditory....if the member requestions one.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Skyray

QuoteTry that one again.....

Hearings are mandatory....if the member requestions one.

I would agree, if the filing authority follows the regulations and notifies the terminated member.  But you are all postulating a leadership cadre who follows the regulations.

Another subtle point to this is that the hearing is an Appeal and without one being requested by the terminated member, the 2B takes effect.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Nick Critelli, Lt Col CAP on July 15, 2007, 02:42:34 PMBefore you buy a pearl handled revolver, a pit bull terrier and commission a portrait artist (ala Patton) remember General that your power stems from the BoG, NB, NEC  and the membership who you must keep happy...and they can turn on you without a moments notice.

Nick,

Actually, I was thinking a Smith and Wesson Terrier .32 snubbie they made many years back, easily hidden in the TPU jacket pocket...

Just kidding

1. Fence mending. For whatever reason there is a disconnect between NHQ and Joe Member that needs fixed. I've been in and out of this group since 1986 and that part of CAP has never changed.

2. Peer review of CAP's 3 core missions. What is NASAR and the other SAR groups doing that we can improve upon? What are we doing that they'd like to learn?

Why do the Scouts, groups like the Young Marines and others able to do activities CAP would never allow under regulations?

What do teacher's groups think of our AE program and how do we make it better?

3. Increased focus on philanthropic support at NHQ level for the direct benefit of the subordinate units. Imagine what a 10 million dollar cash grant from Bill Gates equally spread across 8 Regions and 52 wings could do?

4. Expand CAP support to the individual states. Imagine all 52 Wings doing similar programs like IAWG, directly supporting Army and Air Guard in state service while not needed for USAF assigned missions?

Cleaned up quote.  Don't need space before and after tags - MIKE  
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven: