Main Menu

Avcomm AC 200

Started by Tubacap, July 09, 2007, 12:12:13 PM

Tubacap

Does anyone have any experience with the avcomm ac 200 headset?  I am looking to buy my first headset without a lot of money.  This seems to be decent, but I don't know anyone personally who uses it.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Al Sayre

Got a link?

I've got a couple of these I use for passengers... http://www.warrengregoire.com/aviation-headsets.htm 

Buy the blem's, for the price they're hard to beat as backups.  I wouldn't want to wear one all the time since I got my sennheiser (sp?), but they work well and make a great 1st set for the new pilot or scanner.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Frenchie

I have one that I use as a passenger headset in my plane.  There's nothing wrong with it.  It's a good solid headset and there's no reason why it won't last many years with proper care.  The Avcomm is simply a David Clark clone based on the time tested DC military headset.  There are probably a dozen or more headset manufacturers that make DC clones.  The Avcomm looks and feels cheaper than my genuine DC that I use as my primary headset, but my DC is a few notches up from their entry level headset so it's not really a valid comparison.  If you want a real DC even the entry level one will cost more than twice, so the Avcomm is clearly a better value.

If you plan on spending a lot of time with your headset, say 100 hrs per year or more, you should probably seriously consider buying an active noise reduction headset, but that will drive up the price considerably.  One advantage to buying a DC/DC Clone is you can upgrade them to ANR later on with a kit from Headsetsinc for about $200 provided you are reasonably adept with a soldering iron.  Another nice thing about getting a DC clone is they can use DC parts and accessories so you can always repair or modify them.

I highly suggest you consider the following headset instead if you want a DC clone:
http://www.spinnerspilotshop.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/scstore/p-pa-1161t.html?L+scstore+mkjy9895ff20e920+1184810790
For roughly the same price you get a flex boom (very nice feature) and a cell/music interface (very nice feature).  I've never seen one of these, but it seems to be a much better deal.

Whatever headset you buy, be sure and check with the dealer and make sure they have a 30 day full return policy.  Most of the bigger pilot shops do.  Heads come in many different shapes and sizes and a great headset for one is a lousy headset for another.  Some people don't like the DC/DC clones because they say the clamp pressure is excessive.  I particularly like this because I wear glasses and I get a good seal around the ears with my DC which I don't get from other headsets.