CAP phase-in time for ABU's

Started by RogueLeader, July 05, 2007, 05:07:33 AM

What do you think that the phase-in times for the ABU's be for CAP?

2-3 yrs
25 (23.1%)
3-4 yrs
13 (12%)
4-5 yrs.
20 (18.5%)
5-7yrs
23 (21.3%)
8-10 years
11 (10.2%)
10+
16 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 108

RogueLeader

I think it's about 5 to 6 years before we get them, as it will take a while for AF to all get them, then creating all the CAP regs written and approved.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hawk200

I figure three to four. It seems that's what it took for BDU's. The CAP unit that was local to me was in them about three years after the AF ceased to issue them. (I wasn't a member at the time, they met across the street from my barracks.)

SarDragon

CAP folks were wearing BDUs at my unit in Japan when I left in 1989. The phase out date for the fatigues was 1 Jan 1996, so it took longer than 3 or 4 years. I don't recall when wear actually started, because I was still wearing the fatigues when I left, and had just rejoined in 1987.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

What about the "never" botton?

Who would think that this would be a good time to tansition to the just the BBDUs?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on July 05, 2007, 06:07:54 AM

Who would think that this would be a good time to tansition to the just the BBDUs?

I would!  :)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

floridacyclist

Where would cadets get used uniforms from? I kind of like being able to pay $10 for a complete uniform, especially with 4 cadets and 2 officers in the house.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Hawk200

Quote from: SarDragon on July 05, 2007, 05:29:23 AM
CAP folks were wearing BDUs at my unit in Japan when I left in 1989. The phase out date for the fatigues was 1 Jan 1996, so it took longer than 3 or 4 years. I don't recall when wear actually started, because I was still wearing the fatigues when I left, and had just rejoined in 1987.

The question was about phase in time, not phase out for the previous uniform. From what I saw with the unit local to me, it was approximately three and a half years from when the Air Force issued BDU in basic, to the time when CAP was regularly wearing them at that unit.

I don't.

lordmonar

Quote from: floridacyclist on July 05, 2007, 06:18:51 AM
Where would cadets get used uniforms from? I kind of like being able to pay $10 for a complete uniform, especially with 4 cadets and 2 officers in the house.

FREE UNIFORM PROGRAM.  Issue BBDU instead of blues.....it's what the cadets wear most of the time anyways. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on July 05, 2007, 07:15:43 AM

FREE UNIFORM PROGRAM.  Issue BBDU instead of blues.....it's what the cadets wear most of the time anyways. 

That would require a change in the reg where it defines the minimum basic uniform for cadets. Not an argument, just information.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shorning

Quote from: SarDragon on July 05, 2007, 07:20:04 AM

That would require a change in the reg where it defines the minimum basic uniform for cadets. Not an argument, just information.

Q.E.D.

Major Carrales

I have to disagree, the "minimum service dress" uniform provides a direct link to the CAP mission of "Cadet Programs" where field uniforms suggests "Emergency Services."

They really should have both, in my opinion, the "service dress" so they can learn how to maintain a uniform that has to "be tucked in," "shoes they have to shine" and "clothes they have to have ironed."  For many cadets, this minimum service dress uniform is the only (closest) thing they have to "formal" clothing as opposed to this...

They should have "field dress" should they want to do the ES option.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

LtCol White

Never
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Psicorp

I guess the real question is when will BDUs no longer be readily available.  Sure, we can always go to an Army Surplus store, but finding a good serviceable set isn't always easy, even today  There are companies that make the BDU, but will they continue to do so after the AF stops wearing them completely? 

I'm not completely adverse to the BBDU, but only if National changes the color of the CAP tapes, name tapes, and insignia to the "dark blue" to match the shade of the BBDU.

My preference is to keep wearing the AF uniform and if we do, I would expect a phase in date of 3 to 4 years after the AF fully transitions.

At any rate, I'm in this organization for the long term and will wear what I'm told to.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

LtCol White

I have a feeling you will see initial authorization in 1-2yrs with mandatory wear 5 yrs out.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Hawk200

I've never seen a cadet wearing a blue BDU.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 05, 2007, 07:39:17 AM

I have to disagree, the "minimum service dress" uniform provides a direct link to the CAP mission of "Cadet Programs" where field uniforms suggests "Emergency Services."

They really should have both, in my opinion, the "service dress" so they can learn how to maintain a uniform that has to "be tucked in," "shoes they have to shine" and "clothes they have to have ironed."  For many cadets, this minimum service dress uniform is the only (closest) thing they have to "formal" clothing as opposed to this...

They should have "field dress" should they want to do the ES option.

CRAP......I don't want to "run into" the guy on the far right with not only a gun but a knife too.  He is going to shoot me then stab me.  I guess getting shot is not enough for some people that you have to stab them as well.  That would end a perfectly terrible day!

Back to discussion......I think we will see CAP get the ABU a lot sooner than most think.  We do have a CAP-USAF Commander that will most likely push for us to have them before the AF required date of 2012.  That is saying he will still be there.
What's up monkeys?

SeattleSarge

Never.

I don't think BDU's should be worn either.  Camouflage utility/fatigue uniforms are for active/reserve/guard military personnel.  Sorry folks, but that ain't us.

Been there, done that...

-SeattleSarge
Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org

captrncap

Quote from: SeattleSarge on July 05, 2007, 06:01:46 PM
Never.

I don't think BDU's should be worn either.  Camouflage utility/fatigue uniforms are for active/reserve/guard military personnel.  Sorry folks, but that ain't us.

Been there, done that...

-SeattleSarge

What are you suggesting we wear for ES missions?

Psicorp

Quote from: SeattleSarge on July 05, 2007, 06:01:46 PM
Never.

Been there, done that...

-SeattleSarge

At least the AF chevrons would look better on the BBDU.  Do you happen to have a pic you can post of that?
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Eclipse

Cadets wear Blue BDU's most of the time?   Where?

"That Others May Zoom"