Main Menu

Tips for Encampment

Started by yolo, December 07, 2017, 04:00:59 PM

yolo

Do you guys have any tips for Encampment?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

yolo

Max

Do not bring anything that isn't on the packing list or approved before encampment by your chain of command.  It means you won't have to stick around after graduation to get your contraband back and it is one less contraband bag for the staff to keep track of. 

Also, make sure that you bring everything that IS on the packing list.  Nobody wants to be the cadet that is unprepared for graduation because their blues shirt is still at home in their closet. 

Work with the cadets in your flight as a team.  You're not there to compete with each other for Honor Cadet or guidon bearer.  Its difficult to think of a time when I've been prouder than when the cadets my flight were working together efficiently.  It is a great feeling when the flight passes a team leadership problem with flying colors because you were working and communicating effectively with each other. 

I'm sure others have more advice to contribute but these were the big ones that came to mind. 

Good luck!

Holding Pattern

yolo

MSG Mac

Encampments can be very stressful for first time attendees, take it one day at a time.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

vesryn

Quote from: Mordecai on December 07, 2017, 05:14:46 PM
Don't forget your hat.

Or your boots! Or your dress shoes! Or your meds! Or your insurance info!

I've seen too many cadets leave encampment redfaced on the first day because they forgot their uniform materials.
Also, don't try to sneak your phone into Encampment. Yes, we know you want to keep up your snap streak, but for the love of god just let it go
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

CAPSOC_0pur8ur

Listen to everyone above, and keep in mind that it's not like you're shipping off to basic training. Yes, you may be challenged; yes, it may be uncomfortable sometimes, but encampment is more fun than it is scary, especially after the first few days. Make sure you know your basic drill, and don't forget to verbally greet/render salutes to your staff. Other than that, as long as you're willing to learn, you'll be good to go. (P.S. definitely don't forget your CAP ID... not that I speak from experience or anything...  ;))

(Edit) Also, if they don't give you one, make a checklist when you pack... It will make your life so much easier
"To be somebody or to do something. In life there is often a roll call. That's when you will have to make a decision. To be or to do? Which way will you go?" -Col John Boyd

TheSkyHornet

I think this will all also depend on your age and cadet grade.

Older cadets are often better at "hacking it," able to overlook some of the "scary stuff" as well as getting in that mindset of "I just need to get through this." And that applies to both the challenging stuff as well as those sometimes ridiculous eye-rolling things.

But older cadets also have that tendency to try and challenge their superiors, and that virtually always never goes well, either due to disciplinary matters or isolating themselves from the group because of their attitude.

Younger cadets can sometimes have a hard time with it being so new and the fact that Encampment is probably their first real challenge under manufactured stress. And it's structured that way for a reason: to push you, and maybe a little bit because the more experienced cadets running it get a kick out of it (okay, a lot a bit).

Younger cadets will probably do better over the course of the week developing friendships because they might not have that teenager isolation attitude. You throw three 13-year-old boys into a dorm room for a week, and by the end of it, they're probably pretty good friends. That's not to say it will happen, but that's just what I've seen.

Encampment, much like the rest of CAP, will be what you make of it. The difference with Encampment, unlike your home unit, is that you have nearly no say as to how it is conducted, and nobody really cares about your feedback until after you're all done.

Spam

Some great off the cuff stuff above about remembering items.

Suggestions on logistics:
- several months out: save or earn money to pay for it yourself (self reliance: holiday/birthday money, mowing lawns, p/t job, etc.).
- 1 month out: print out the required packing checklist provided by your Encampment staff and start verifying what you need to get.
- 2 weeks out: take any new uniforms/insignia to your unit and get an inspection to help you look sharp/correct. Make sure you have all required forms completed and signed by parents/unit commander.
- 1 week out: launder/press/start laying out the items on your packing list in an out of the way part of the home, following the list. Make sure you have luggage ready and your driver knows where to go/when to report. .
- 1 day before: go pack your stuff, checking off each item on the list as you stow it. Don't add anything not on the list. Get a good night sleep.

Suggestions on academic/physical prep:
- Readiness to go:  encampment is not basic training. Your minimum is to have completed the Curry Achievement (hence, as a C/AMN you are not a "Basic", but a "Student" or "Trainee"). Completing the Curry at the last minute before going is usually a bad idea. Going to encampment with only a month or two in CAP is usually a bad idea. Make sure you've completely met the Curry requirements including full memorization of the Oath, uniform, etc.
- Work out and stay in shape (e.g. as evidenced by meeting the healthy fitness zone in the PT program). Being in shape helps you pivot successfully from activity to activity quickly without being a stress casualty.
- If you have a temporary or permanent disability, make sure that you're taking a physicians note detailing the specific limitations with you to be excused.
- Sleep is a blessed event; a few days ahead, start getting up early and cutting off the electronic devices and hitting the sack early.

There are more, I'm sure...

R/S
Spam

AkFinesse

Encampment isn't really that stressful I don't know why people say it is. There's nothing they can do to you and they'll get in huge trouble if they actually yell at you.

SarDragon

Encampments vary from wing to wing. While yours might have been just fine in the stress department, others might not be. Also, different folks handle stress differently, so your assessment might not be entirely accurate. You don't need yelling to add stress to a situation.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Toad1168

Quote from: AkFinesse on December 17, 2017, 08:57:13 PM
Encampment isn't really that stressful I don't know why people say it is. There's nothing they can do to you and they'll get in huge trouble if they actually yell at you.

I would caution against such a flippant attitude toward the training.  Everyone handles stress differently.  And the stress comes from many different factors, not necessarily "yelling" as you put it.  And, for disciplinary issues, the staff can simply dismiss you from the encampment if necessary.
Toad

AkFinesse

But let's be honest here encampments are nothing compared to what they used to be. And being "flippant about training"?? It's not really that different than other camps barring the fact that's you're wearing a uniform and andhering to some basic forms of drill and customs and courtesies and very basic pt standards that any high school athlete could do with no problem. A lot of people try to blow up encampment like it's this huge thing, scaring all the little kids away from something that's actually not bad, like really you don't need to get psyched. Granted you can handle stress any way you want to but that's a you problem not a situational problem.

Eclipse

And this is based on your extensive encampment experience?

"That Others May Zoom"

AkFinesse

SarDragon

Question asked and answered.

Click.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret