Main Menu

ES For Cadets

Started by yolo, December 07, 2017, 02:52:06 PM

yolo

Hey CAP Talk People,

I am a cadet, and an airman1C. I want to get into ES so I can become better at CAP. IS there a fast way to get into ES?

darkmatter

nope, talk to your squadron ES officer theyll set you up for the tasked that you need depending on whether you go for UDF GTM3 MSA or MRO. but theres no fast track to getting qualified

Eclipse

You can start by taking care of the only online requirements like GES, the IS-tests, etc.,
agreed, there's no fast track, per se.  If you do it fast, you won't have any idea what you are doing.

UDF tends to be a good starting point, as it gets new members invested in what ES is,
knocks out the online, and with two simple tasks, including gear you probably mostly have in your scholl
backpack,  you can be mission-capable for urban electronic searches.

"That Others May Zoom"

yolo

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

These things are within your control and you should do them before you get started with actual tasks:

General Emergency Services
Appropriate FEMA courses
First Aid
Introductory communications user training

I've seen cadets get all the fun stuff knocked out but sit forever without a full qualification because they won't go through the effort of clicking through some slides and take a test.

yolo

I have already taken those courses, what else do I need to do?

darkmatter

you on your 101 card you see GES ics 100 200 700 and 800 plus ICUT all you can do is on your next meeting express a want to open and UDF track and youd like to partake in wing SAREX that all you can do

yolo

udf? couldn't find anything on google

darkmatter

Quote from: TheMeepMan on December 07, 2017, 03:53:58 PM
udf? couldn't find anything on google

heres a hint go to your eservices and look at your 101 card

yolo

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Jester on December 07, 2017, 03:30:17 PM
These things are within your control and you should do them before you get started with actual tasks:

General Emergency Services
Appropriate FEMA courses
First Aid
Introductory communications user training

I've seen cadets get all the fun stuff knocked out but sit forever without a full qualification because they won't go through the effort of clicking through some slides and take a test.

Throw Aircraft Ground Handling in there too.

wacapgh

Ask permission to speak to your unit Emergency Services Officer as well.

Spaceman3750

Hi MeepMan,

Since I'm guessing you're fairly new to CAP, welcome to CAP! Our ES mission offers a great way for cadets to serve their community, while applying and growing many of the skills built by the cadet program.

To answer your question directly, there is not a "fast" way to become ES qualified.

CAP utilizes task-based training. What this means is that individual skills are broken down in to tasks, which are learned using a task guide, and evaluated (also from the task guide). These tasks, or individual skills, are organized into skill-sets, called qualifications. Each qualification requires that you complete all tasks, as well as serve on two missions (roughly, there's some nuances here) as a supervised trainee.

There are quite a few qualifications which cadets under 18 (which I'm assuming you are) often excel at. They focus in two areas: mission base qualifications (helping support mission planning and execution), and ground team qualifications (going out and doing the search work from the ground).

If you like to plan, organize, and track things from a high level, you will enjoy life at mission base. The two qualifications for you to work on are mission staff assistant (MSA), and mission radio operator (MRO). There are some other areas open to you as well, but this would be the place to start. Entry-level mission staff assistants often helps track resources, prepare logs, support logistics, etc. Mission radio operators help establish mission base communications, and communicate with aircraft and ground teams in the field.

If going out and searching is more your speed, you will find a lot of your fellow cadets on ground teams. The ground team member qualification is tiered. Ground Team Member Level 3 is the lowest, where Ground Team Member Level 1 is highest. GTM-3 focuses on the basics of being a searcher, GTM-2 tests your ability to perform land navigation, and GTM-1 prepares you to lead small groups (as well as having some advanced knowledge such as working around canine teams).

The best way to start in on this is to ask your fellow cadets if your squadron already has an ES program. At my squadron, it's kind of hard to miss; but in many others its something you have to seek out.

Finally, if you have limited success in finding ES training locally, or you prefer to learn in an immersion environment, the National Emergency Services Academy (http://nesa.cap.gov) offers two one-week sessions in the summer. The GSAR program is a great way to get those qualifications done, plus there are scholarships available.

GaryVC

There are also some activities that are or include ES training. Some encampments have an advanced training corp that has ES training. You have to have already been to encampment previously to attend and it may not be offered in your state. There is also the National Emergency Services Academy which has ES training in Indiana at Camp Atterbury in July.  There is also the Lone Star Emergency Services Academy held in Texas. They and other special activities are listed here http://www.ncsas.com/. You have to have attended encampment before you can participate in cadet special activities.