COS silver star device NSCA ribbon

Started by darkmatter, November 19, 2017, 11:45:43 PM

darkmatter

If I senior staffs Cadet officer school after they have been a cadet and they didint go through COS then but now they are staffing it do they get to add the star to their cadet milestone ribbon? I feel like it's a no. I'm not staffing it I'm just woundering. Also under where it says what NCSAs I have been to RCLS show up under that section on eservices does that mean I can add another clasp to the NCSA ribbon?

kwe1009

I doubt that a SM (former cadet) who staff COS can wear the star on their highest cadet milestone ribbon.  The language in CAPR 39-3 implies that you get it when attend COS as a cadet.  As for RCLS and the NCSA ribbon, it does not count.  Attendance at the National Cadet Competition used to show up under NCSAs but they did not get the NCSA ribbon.  See CAPR 39-3 20.d for what activities qualify for the ribbon.

darkmatter

ok thanks. to me RCLS should be under the professorial development section not where the NCSA are in eservices

hamburgee

My question is, if a senior went to COS as a cadet and got the star, are they allowed to wear the star as a senior?

kwe1009

Quote from: hamburgee on November 20, 2017, 01:10:29 AM
My question is, if a senior went to COS as a cadet and got the star, are they allowed to wear the star as a senior?

See my post above.  I think the answer is "no."

Eclipse

Yes.

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R039_003_83459660D4F44.pdf

CAPR 39-3, Page 9

"j. General Billy Mitchell Award. Successfully complete the specific requirements in
Phases I and II of the CAP cadet program. This award is certified and awarded only by National
Headquarters. NOTE: A silver star worn on the ribbon denotes successful completion of Cadet
Officer School. Senior members who remove the Mitchell ribbon in order to wear the highest cadet
program ribbon earned may move the silver star denoting Cadet Officer School from the Mitchell
ribbon to the highest cadet program ribbon earned
."

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Quote from: Eclipse on November 20, 2017, 01:14:58 AM
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R039_003_83459660D4F44.pdf

CAPR 39-3, Page 9

"j. General Billy Mitchell Award. Successfully complete the specific requirements in
Phases I and II of the CAP cadet program. This award is certified and awarded only by National
Headquarters. NOTE: A silver star worn on the ribbon denotes successful completion of Cadet
Officer School. Senior members who remove the Mitchell ribbon in order to wear the highest cadet
program ribbon earned may move the silver star denoting Cadet Officer School from the Mitchell
ribbon to the highest cadet program ribbon earned
."

But does that include Senior Members who only served as staff at COS and never attended it as a cadet?  I'm not sure but I think the answer is "no."

Eclipse

No - there is no mechanism for Seniors to earn the star as staff.

They would just earn the NCSA ribbon.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

As a cadet graduate of COS, and current geezer SM, I wear the silver star on my Spaatz or Falcon.

Only the cool kids know what it is.