Main Menu

Gift ideas for Cadets

Started by TX CAP Mom, November 18, 2017, 05:57:55 PM

TX CAP Mom

I could use some ideas for Christmas gifts for my Cadet. He's obsessed with all things aviation. (and CAP  ;D) Just had his first O-ride and is hooked.

I was thinking a magazine subscription may be good because he's still a reluctant reader and I need some more high interest book/magazine ideas for him. I saw one by Smithsonian called "Air and Space". Any opinions on that one? What about "Flying"? Any others? I would prefer non-explicit/suggestive ads and content.

Any other great gift ideas for cadets that you know of? He has a drone but it never worked very well. I would LOVE to get him a flight simulator game for his XBox One but there isn't one that I can find. I can't imagine why, if they can do something as great as Forza Racing, why not flight sim?

Edited to add: He's headed to Encampment 12/26 as well. Anything cool related to that (yes, I have the packing list) would be good to know.

Ideas please!  :D

Spam

Air and Space is a very pretty publication. We get it here and they get tattered from the four males in the house re-re-re-reading them.

If he's really into aerospace, the gold standard for industry news is Aviation Week and Space Technology (more expensive, but you might wrangle a discount). I've subscribed since I was a teenager and it has VASTLY helped me in my (defense and aerospace) career.

If he really just likes the best of military coverage, there's great pubs like Air Forces Monthly.
https://pocketmags.com/airforces-monthly-magazine/december-2017#549059e37d33f

If he's into learning to fly, consider Plane and Pilot (fairly cheap too)

Or even AOPA student membership with free mag: https://www.aopa.org/apps/training-and-safety/learn-to-fly/student-resources/student-membership/?offercode=S1712WZPC&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxoXYovLI1wIVG57ACh1JcwoqEAAYASAAEgL_g_D_BwE

Recommend do NOT give him trinkets for encampment beyond whats on that list. They'll get confiscated as contraband (nothing personal, its just a no no during training).

Merry Christmas Mrs. Claus!

V/r
Spam

MrsRoe

Hey! My daughter is staffing TX winter encampment!

Have you looked at some of the fun items on vanguard? Water bottles hoodies etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a new SM and mom of a CAP kid trying to figure it out one acronym at a time

Spam

How about some cool shades to wear while O flying? Perhaps he could wear them while at encampment as well (if on the list)?

etodd

Quote from: TX CAP Mom on November 18, 2017, 05:57:55 PM

I could use some ideas for Christmas gifts for my Cadet. He's obsessed with all things aviation. (and CAP  ;D) Just had his first O-ride and is hooked.

You didn't specify a spending limit.

How old? Is there a possibility of flight training? If its in the realm, you could go ahead and get him the ground school:

http://www.kingschools.com/ground-school/private-pilot/courses/get-it-all
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

MSG Mac

Have you considered a membership in the Air Force Association? I believe they have reduced rates for CAP Cadets, send out a very good magazine, and support local CAP units.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

TX CAP Mom

Great ideas, thank you!

He has some good shades and since he's the type that loses everything, I better stick with cheap ones for now. Will look at the magazine suggestions.

Not ready to invest in flight school quite yet!  ;D

NIN

Quote from: Spam on November 18, 2017, 09:40:14 PM
How about some cool shades to wear while O flying? Perhaps he could wear them while at encampment as well (if on the list)?

I can never figure out why eyepro isn't allowed at some encampments. I get "losing expensive glasses," and of course "No sunglasses in formation."  (I have to take my transitions lenses off when I'm in formation)

But geez, cadets wear a uniform that has > 8 pockets. Its not like there isn't a place to stash glasses when you can't wear them (like formation).  And you HOPE that encampments are held in weather that is sunny and nice (vs. cloudy and crummy), which is just when you *need* sunglasses.

But still I read "no sunglasses" all the time in encampment packing lists. And then there's the repeated photos of the cadet staff IN SUNGLASSES.  So, your eyes need protecting, but your cadet's eyes don't? I see.

EDIT: BTW, I definitely second a subscription to Air & Space. I've had one, off and on, over the last 30 years.  I love that magazine.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Luis R. Ramos

I dunno.

Maybe because every time that students form in an Encampment they form with the sun at their backs, so the staff is facing the sun? This way, cadets do not need eye protection but cadet staff do.

>:D

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on November 19, 2017, 04:10:49 PM
I dunno.

Maybe because every time that students form in an Encampment they form with the sun at their backs, so the staff is facing the sun?

>:D

If only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

ZaneMer

Quote from: Spam on November 18, 2017, 09:40:14 PM

That's a great idea!
This is a very professional review of Binance to check out.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: NIN on November 19, 2017, 03:06:23 PM
I can never figure out why eyepro isn't allowed at some encampments. I get "losing expensive glasses," and of course "No sunglasses in formation." 

Taking away any form of individuality would be my only assumption. "If one of you is wearing sunglasses, you better all be wearing sunglasses. If one of you is wearing your sleeves rolls, you should all have your sleeves rolled."

Maybe because every time that students form in an Encampment they form with the sun at their backs, so the staff is facing the sun? This way, cadets do not need eye protection but cadet staff do.

I disagree. I think it's because they see it as a privilege because they're on staff. Just like taking the M&Ms out of the boxed lunches and standing outside the classroom eating M&Ms.

Anyway, back to the OP, I wouldn't get too deep into buying stuff for CAP, just because you don't know where the retention may go. I'd be hesitant on investing into something that he may not want to do in a few months or in a year (e.g., special uniform items, etc.).

I'm terrible at buying gifts for anyone, let alone someone in that age range. Maybe just ask him?

Eclipse

I can never figure out why eyepro isn't allowed at some encampments.

Because you expect these:

and get these these:

And if you make an issue of it, you get a load of "they are my only prescription glasses...".  BTDT.

I will say that any encampment or activity that includes flying or extended time outdoors should allow
them at least during those periods, but then you still have to deal with the above.

"That Others May Zoom"

TX CAP Mom

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 01, 2017, 10:55:19 PM
I can never figure out why eyepro isn't allowed at some encampments. I get "losing expensive glasses," and of course "No sunglasses in formation." 

Taking away any form of individuality would be my only assumption. "If one of you is wearing sunglasses, you better all be wearing sunglasses. If one of you is wearing your sleeves rolls, you should all have your sleeves rolled."

I disagree. I think it's because they see it as a privilege because they're on staff. Just like taking the M&Ms out of the boxed lunches and standing outside the classroom eating M&Ms.

Anyway, back to the OP, I wouldn't get too deep into buying stuff for CAP, just because you don't know where the retention may go. I'd be hesitant on investing into something that he may not want to do in a few months or in a year (e.g., special uniform items, etc.).

I'm terrible at buying gifts for anyone, let alone someone in that age range. Maybe just ask him?

Good advice. But I suspect retention will be high with this one. He just had his first O-ride and is heading for Encampment, and is working on his next advancement. He loves CAP.

I got him the Air and Space subscription, and found a model of a CAP Cessna on eBay. He also needs a new backpack for school so I got him one with a bladder he can use for Encampment. I don't think these things will be a waste of money - more likely to fuel his interest further.

Thanks for all the ideas!