Main Menu

Dancing near the edge...

Started by Eclipse, October 01, 2017, 04:41:18 AM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Alaric

RiverAux

At the end of the month I'll have done my 20 (not counting a couple of years of cadet time that aren't in the system).  Not that it really means anything, but thats about the only reason I've stayed in the last few years.  Told a few folks I'll be getting out, but may just transfer to the ghost squadron. 

As an ES-oriented senior member I just can't get myself motivated when we're not seeing any SAR missions anymore (been 2 years since our last missing airplane search.  Hardly any SAR in the last 10 years).  Sure, there may be an occasional disaster mission, but taking a lot of photos that no one really cares about all that much doesn't get my blood racing. 

Perhaps if CAP develops some new missions I'll come back when I retire from my real job. 

Briank

Hopefully renewal works tomorrow...  I'd like to get it done before I forget about it!  I tried when I first got my notice.  Failed.  It said to wait until October.  October is here, trying again, failed...

My wife isn't renewing, but I'm in for another year.  Maybe THIS will finally be the year I can get my initial Form 5 done!  :-)

MacGruff

There is an update going on for the Membership portion of e-services. It should be up again by Monday morning.

Why did you wait until the last possible day to renew? I know I do not like to give my money until I have to either, but I always assumes some SNAFU and do such things about one week before it's due...???

Eclipse

Quote from: MacGruff on October 01, 2017, 10:32:27 PMWhy did you wait until the last possible day to renew? I know I do not like to give my money until I have to either, but I always assumes some SNAFU and do such things about one week before it's due...???

Mostly for the snicks - I know my name shows up on all the inventory reports if anyone is watching them,
plus probably a few other places being a CC.

In this case I intended to do it a couple days before, and just forgot. An unrelated email prompted me
with, as seen above, about 40 minutes left.

"That Others May Zoom"

Nick

Quote from: Eclipse on October 02, 2017, 01:25:45 AM
Mostly for the snicks - I know my name shows up on all the inventory reports if anyone is watching them,
plus probably a few other places being a CC.

Yeah, I'm the same way. My membership expires Dec 31, so it's a great time to show up on expiring member reports.

Edit: Speak of the devil...
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Live2Learn

Whether to renew or move on is an annual decision.  So far it's "renew".  While I've not yet made up my mind for 2017-2018, I'll probably renew.  Before I pay my annual dues I always think about whether CAP offers cadets a good learning environment for leadership and personal integrity (Answer for my Squadron: Yep!), whether the inevitable documentation burden is commensurate with the outcome (that's a tough one, and the answer is so far an across the board "nope"...!), whether there's a positive energy in whichever unit I 'belong' to ((usually, yes and certainly for my current unit), whether there's a GOB/GOG attitude in major programs (seems more likely in aviation/ops environments, otherwise usually not - and we'll leave it with that), and finally whether I believe I'm contributing in a positive manner to the Squadron & Wing (usually yes, but sometimes other stuff leads me to say 'absent').  Just sending the money doesn't seem like the best investment unless the majority of my personal criteria are on the positive side of the ledger.  I expect, like most SM who really think about CAP renewals, there are several very worthwhile alternatives to spend a few to several hundred dollars a year.

ironputts

I will be renewing for my 27th year. I like many, have thought maybe this will be my last year. Yet like many, I realize the pros outweigh the cons and I continue on. If it is a hard decision then go with your gut. I am glad my gut said to stay. I have many memories that will last a lifetime. Memories I would not have had if I left. In the end, it is a volunteer organization, and it is about giving your time and talents. Thanks for your service!
Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP

raivo

Quote from: ironputts on October 02, 2017, 05:29:12 PMI will be renewing for my 27th year.

I swear I was just a cadet yesterday, but I suddenly realized that I've now been in CAP for over half my life.

BARTENDER!

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

etodd

I renewed online last night to begin my third year. Its been a fun couple years.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

N6RVT

Quote from: MacGruff on October 01, 2017, 10:32:27 PM
There is an update going on for the Membership portion of e-services. It should be up again by Monday morning.

Why did you wait until the last possible day to renew? I know I do not like to give my money until I have to either, but I always assumes some SNAFU and do such things about one week before it's due...???

You can renew online well after you membership expires.  I think its a full year even.  Then for another full year you can renew with no break in service, but you need a new fingerprint card.  I was out for 20 months, but my official record does not show it.  Fingerprint card and pay the dues for the time I was out - and officially, I wasn't out.

N6RVT

Quote from: raivo on October 04, 2017, 06:11:51 AM
Quote from: ironputts on October 02, 2017, 05:29:12 PMI will be renewing for my 27th year.

I swear I was just a cadet yesterday, but I suddenly realized that I've now been in CAP for over half my life.

BARTENDER!
43 out of 59 years.  I win.  (or lose, actually)

SarDragon

Cyborg is gone.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled uniform debate.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret